MorphOS 1.5 running on Efika!!!
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    @amiades

No surprise it takes a little longer to boot than a real machine.
    You can read on Moobunny the IDE interface of the Efika is roughly *10* times slower.

Yes, it's definitely slower than a Pegasos in most areas (all areas even?); IDE is one, CPU performance is another. To continue the list, it only has one PCI bus, and only one single 100Mbit ethernet, etc. But you see, it was never meant as a desktop machine or a Pegasos competitor, so all that is just *fine*. Especially since it is the size of a PCI card, it has no fans, consumes a few watts only, and has a very nice price (which might become *really* low eventually, since the BOM is so dirt-cheap).

I think your wordings it's slower than a real machine is a little unfortunate. It suggests that the Efika would be some kind of useless toy, which hardly is the case. In my eyes, the Efika is the first device from Genesi/Bplan that has a decent chance of becoming a real success. This will be a perfect building block to base a whole bunch of devices on.

The Pegasos was the start of a journey, a developers desktop platform that formed a foundation for a future structure, but the Efika (and any upcoming derivates) is a *destination*; where the development and other efforts has a chance of actually paying off. For the first time.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.10.06 - 10:10
  • Just looking around
    Stingray454
    Ok. the Efika aprat (not very interested in this device).. Can someone tell me more about MOS 1.5? Is there a release date? Is there a list of new features / fixed bugs and such things? What are the major news for 1.5?

I don't currently own a Pegasos system, since I wanted to wait a while and see if MOS would really come in new versions (has been a long while since the last release :) ). This means that I'm very likely to buy a peg now :) yaay!
  • »15.10.06 - 10:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    i'm just wondering about he true potential of the Efika. What makes it a good product compared to VIA mini-itx or nano-itx latest boards for example ? if the Efika price stays above 100 euros i see no point in buying it instead of a via/Epia mobo. Epias board run linux and windows and other X86 OSes at a higher speed (and with proper 3D drivers) than a Efika board.

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2006/10/15 11:12 ]
  • »15.10.06 - 11:10
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    It runs MorphOS (which I really hope becomes available for it) ...
    thats its only pro ... without MorphOS this mobo is a way too lowspec'd
    device ...

But imagine a whole internet cafe with 20 Efikas running Sputnik ...
    at a cost of 2 "real" pcs ...
  • »15.10.06 - 11:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

@amiades

You can read on Moobunny the IDE interface of the Efika is roughly *10* times slower.

No surprise, of course... that is why it is just fine :P. It it was 10 times faster than my Peg1, it would be f*cking awesome...

Don't misunderstand me, I like efika a lot, and its performance is as spected, don't think I don't like it...

[ Edited by amiades on 2006/10/15 13:33 ]
  • »15.10.06 - 13:32
    Velcro_SP
    Henes says:

Quote:

Now wait a second, I watched the video and the reboot at least seemed about as fast as my Pegasos2 G3. And the boot time could be quickened even more by decreasing the number of seconds the OF waits to see if you want to enter commands or do something else.

This is a silly thing to debate anyway, because the Pegasos and Efika booting MOS are both a whole order of magnitude faster booting than a PC or Apple Mac booting Windows, Linux, or MacOS.

[ Edited by Velcro_SP on 2006/10/15 7:39 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »15.10.06 - 13:36
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    @Genesi

Nice to see that MorphOS is resold by Freescale, now we can just hope that the price will go up a little bit so that the MorphOS team will make some money.

One question I have is: It have been stated that you could get the price down to 100$. What do you need to succed with that? With a price on 299$ for EFIKA and a price of 499$ for the Peg II I think the EFIKA is a little bit overprice or underpowered.
  • »15.10.06 - 13:45
    Golem
    @robjoh
    Maybe you also noticed on that freescale page that MorphOS is available for efika customers. Isn't that nice?
  • »15.10.06 - 14:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    "MorphOS is non-Unix based and targeted at mobile, automotive and consumer electronics markets."

Is "this" MorphOS supported by the whole MOS-Team ? or is it only Laire's project ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »15.10.06 - 18:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    DBAlex
    This is all good news... I really hope genesi starts selling single efikas with morphos soon!

Please Genesi! See sense! These will sell like hotcakes!

:-)
  • »15.10.06 - 18:19
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Atheist
    Firstly, an extension of "congratulations" is in order to all here, as you've finally gotten what you've wanted for years now.

I've been banned again on AW.N for 14 days with no PM as to why, so, I'm throwing in the towel. I'm closing my account there. There's no future for that website as it currently is.

:yell: You win! :yell:

Quote:

Genesi wrote:

Now that Freescale is a Reseller, the MorphOS-Team can set the price. This will hopefully lead to a more useful co-existence. We will see what happens after that.

R&B :-)

Hi Genesi,

I suppose I'm talking to bbrv here.

Here (post 65) you said
    Quote:

Not for sale?

Freescale is a Reseller

And, when I clicked the link it said "product not available".

NOW, you go to the same link and it describes the product, and when you hit the "buy direct" link, you can't!!! Instead, this perplexing sight greets one's eyes.

What gives? Are you selling something?

Also, why won't you bundle it yet??? That's Apple's game plan, and until you do, you're screwing the MOS team, and also AOS4.x (Hyperion Entertainment), IF you want anything to do with them that is.

In addition to that, and this is critical, is that all you have to show with having membership at Power.Org for 3 years? A 400 MHz motherboard with ONE PCI slot, not even PCI-X (or whatever that most current one is called) and no DD2 nor Altivec???? (What about video, audio, L2 cache, and limited to 512 Megs?)

Pathetic.

No, not you yourself..... I'm talking about the combined efforts of Power.Org, Freescale, Motoscum, ibUm, and yourself combined!!!!!!! YOU have achieved the most of that sorry lot.

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Yes, it's definitely slower than a Pegasos in most areas (all areas even?); IDE is one, CPU performance is another. To continue the list, it only has one PCI bus, and only one single 100Mbit ethernet, etc. But you see, it was never meant as a desktop machine or a Pegasos competitor, so all that is just *fine*. Especially since it is the size of a PCI card, it has no fans, consumes a few watts only, and has a very nice price (which might become *really* low eventually, since the BOM is so dirt-cheap).

I think your wordings it's slower than a real machine is a little unfortunate. It suggests that the Efika would be some kind of useless toy, which hardly is the case. In my eyes, the Efika is the first device from Genesi/Bplan that has a decent chance of becoming a real success. This will be a perfect building block to base a whole bunch of devices on.

The Pegasos was the start of a journey, a developers desktop platform that formed a foundation for a future structure, but the Efika (and any upcoming derivates) is a *destination*; where the development and other efforts has a chance of actually paying off. For the first time.

Hi takemehomegrandma,

It's funny how when I apply that very same sentiment to AmigaOne and Hyperion Entertainment's AOS4.x adventures, I get ridiculed to no ends.

Yup, just a perpetual torrent of hate.

- edit - Only fixed a "stop bold" tag.

[ Edited by Atheist on 2006/10/15 13:13 ]
  • »15.10.06 - 22:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

I've been banned again on AW.N for 14 days with no PM as to why, so, I'm throwing in the towel.

After reading the post, I'm not very surprised...
  • »15.10.06 - 22:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Golem

You should try to look at it in a Positive way. Just for Morphos to be on the Freescale radar is a BIG DEAL for mos team.(whether all of them see it or not! ;-) )

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »16.10.06 - 02:13
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    #Atheist

1. This is NOT your personal litter box, and I won't let you make it that

2. A product shown as working doesn't automaticly imply that the product is allredy available

3. Genesi did offer to bundle MOS (or even OS4), but sofar the offer was declined. Unless you talk about the about a compulsory bundle, which would mean charging extra $$$ to real costumers who won't need neither MOS nor OS4 (and any new board needs those kind of costumers these days). That idea was insane 4 years ago, and it definitly didn't get any better over the years.

4. A 400MHz board is by far more than any of the wannabe-HW-companies have been able to show over the past years. The question is not wether it's suitable for the "Amiga-Market", but wether it's suitable for real markets.
    Which it offcourse will only be if the price is right, so one can forget about charging extra for certain hobby-OSses not wanted by these costumers.

5. A1-owners weren't told upfront that they would be buying a semi-working no guarantee piece HW
  • »16.10.06 - 04:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    @Golem

Yes it is nice.

@Genesi?

Which version is freescale reselling? 1.5? I mean isn't that what have been shown :)

@Atheist

So if I understand you correct:
    1, You are angry because you have been banned on AW.net...what has that with the discussion about MorphOS 1.5 running on EFIKA.
    2, You think that BBRV and Power is useless becasue they aren't delivering anything, and most of all not a high end workstation for Morph or Amiga. Well I haven't followed power.org as much but I think that Mercury has delivered the first Cell based evualtion bord and that IBM and Fresscale is working on a common instuctionset for their CPU:s.

And most of all: The EFIKA is NOT meant to be a high end workstation, it is meant to be a working block for embedded devices, if I remember right one company has already a license for using the design. The EFIKA is, if the price point is right, a way for people like me that is curios for MorphOS to test it and play with it without paying 499$ or more for a Hardware I don't need (I do already own a x86 computer).

Next generation hardware for the power.org community should be Peg III, the G5 machine bPlan and Genesi is working on. When that will be possible to buy I don't know but hopefully soon.

And please calm down :) we are just talking about computers here, it is not about life and death.

[ Edited by robjoh on 2006/10/16 9:02 ]

[ Edited by robjoh on 2006/10/16 9:05 ]
  • »16.10.06 - 09:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Which version is freescale reselling? 1.5? I mean isn't that what have been shown :)

Freescale isn't reselling any version (legally atleast), shouldn't you have learned by now that anything bbrv utters relating to MorphOS almost certainly is a lie?

..and now they've managed to drag Freescale into their little scam as well, nice going...

- CISC
  • »16.10.06 - 10:51
    Velcro_SP
    magnetic says:

Quote:

You should try to look at it in a Positive way. Just for Morphos to be on the Freescale radar is a BIG DEAL for mos team.(whether all of them see it or not!

Yeah, last time I checked w. Google advanced search, there were 200 mentions of MorphOS at the Freescale website.

Freescale's a big, big, big tech company. Genesi has accomplished a good relationship with Freescale. Do Bill and Fleecy have a good relationship with Freescale? Noooooo... they're too busy suing Garry.

I like seeing the butterfly and order page for MorphOS at freescale.com, even if it is not available or priced yet.

I hope it is true that MOS Team will attempt to release a new version by Christmas. I think bbrv have the right idea, and everyone should go ahead and go for the gusto and release something. None of us are getting any younger. A giant asteroid could hit the planet tomorrow, and then where would we be. "Human history ended that day and MorphOS 1.5 was never released."

I for one would be interested in buying an Efika computer, but please release a complete system, not just a board that I must build. That's a pain in the butt!

PS: marcik, keep working on Sputnik please!
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »16.10.06 - 10:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Quote:

Freescale isn't reselling any version (legally atleast), shouldn't you have learned by now that anything bbrv utters relating to MorphOS almost certainly is a lie?

The word 'lie' is a very stromg word which shpuld be used with special care, wouldn't it be more precise to just say 'is not backed up'?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »16.10.06 - 11:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Quote:

..and now they've managed to drag Freescale into their little scam as well, nice going...

- CISC

Doesn't that mean that the MorphOS - team should contact Freescale and say that you don't want to be on their homepage and that Genesi is not the owner of the software?

But then I really want to get an answer from my first question, who brought a EFIKA running MorphOS to the Amiga show? BBRV, Ralph? Or somebody else?

The next question is who have done the port of MorphOS 1.5 to EFIKA? BBRV?bPlan? Ralph?

Would be nice to hear a simple answer on these questions.
  • »16.10.06 - 11:53
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    Quote:

In addition to that, and this is critical, is that all you have to show with having membership at Power.Org for 3 years? A 400 MHz motherboard with ONE PCI slot, not even PCI-X (or whatever that most current one is called) and no DD2 nor Altivec???? (What about video, audio, L2 cache, and limited to 512 Megs?)

Pathetic.

HI!

An after you complaint about being banned of the sites
  • »16.10.06 - 12:19
    hooligan
    @Fransexy

Well to his defence, the guy is correct. The specs arent exactly the hightech for desktop-use.. behind all that trolling he surely knows Efika wasnt designed to replace your everyday pc.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.10.06 - 14:21
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

CISC wrote:

Forgive me for my naive questions, anyway, here we go:
    - do you see the presence and the mentions of MorphOS on the Freescale corporate site as something negative? It definitely would seem so from your wording.
    - to me, the presence of MorphOS in the products page seems to imply there could be some kind of interest from Freescale's part: the fact that there is no price listed should push the team in trying to get in touch with them and find an agreement. Won't you consider the possibility to have MorphOS legally sold by Freescale at some point? Or would you dismiss any opportunity that is even remotely connected with bbrv actions and efforts?
    - a step forward: while I think I understand your attitude towards bbrv/Genesi, I was wondering if there is still the possibility you can work together, given a certain amount of things happens, some actions are taken, the stars are lined up in some particular fashion, and of course such a collaboration is taken to a different level than it was before, or do you exclude it altogheter? (note: I don't need to know what your conditions for this to happen would be).
    Thank you for your attention (even if I won't have any answer, I still hope someone will read what I wrote!).

Back to the *REAL* topic, I really hope there'll be some reports on the way, and some pics as well. To be honest, I'm really more interested in MorphOS 1.5 than in the Efika itself (altough at 100 EUR + the price of the OS it would be a tempting toy...), and I guess I'm not the only one here.
    So, can we have some factual infos from those who went there? The "political" chitchat is of some interest to me only as a side iussue, because I think MorphOS deserves more success than it had up to now, and for this to happen some iussues needs to be dealt with...

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »16.10.06 - 15:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Quote:

- CISC

i think its time mos team stands up and put an end to all this genesi/bbrv lies and bullshit then. they should sue so hard and heavy until they are blue.
    Sue for pretending mos is genesi os
    Sue for putting mos for sale that isnt available
    for sale
    Sue for putting mos for sale that isnt available for sale
    <bold> on the freescale website!11 </bold>
    Sue for saying mos runs fine on efika when mos doesnt
    have end user support!!!!111 can u belive that ??!!

Atleast this kkkomunity is good in creating a mess!
  • »16.10.06 - 15:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    This is a good opportunity to make a statement about a few things.

1. MorphOS is listed on the Freescale site as a part of the offering Genesi makes through Freescale. Freescale operates as a Genesi Reseller. It took some time, effort and trust to gain this status. Today, MorphOS is not being shipped either as a stand alone product or as a bundled product. At best in its current form, this is a marketing/promotion tool.

2. MorphOS was originally shipped in 2004 legally on the Pegasos/ODW.

3. MorphOS is managed and controlled by the MorphOS-Team. We are willing to have altered on the Freescale site the price to be charged for MorphOS to any amount the MorphOS-Team wants or we can have MorphOS removed from the Freescale site. This decision is the MorphOS-Team's to make.

Some things to keep in mind:

As a Reseller of MorphOS, Freescale will take a percentage of the sale as they do for all products being sold through DevToolDirect.

The EFIKA creates a new opportunity. We are fully willing to separate the hardware from MorphOS and allow MorphOS to grow into a commercial product of its own.

We would like MorphOS to be successful. That is why this site continues to be sponsored and hosted by Genesi. This also applies to MDC. We are in communication with Ralph about the best way for Genesi to contribute _or not_ to this process. We are completely willing to comply with any request Ralph makes about any of these issues.

Sincerely,
    R&B :-)
  • »16.10.06 - 15:40
    Profile Visit Website
    Robin
    wow ... this is the first time in ages that I read one
    of your posts and it does not leave room for (mis-)interpreting.
    Just plain info ... thank you!
  • »16.10.06 - 17:25
    Profile Visit Website