One "not publicly know OS" on a "not publicly known hardware
    Senex
    Well, if it would be MorphOS, as you seem to assume, it wouldn't be an OS "not publicly known".

Since according to Wikipedia there seems to not have been a Linux version of WipeOut (just Amiga and Mac besides game consoles) I wonder if maybe it's a specialized embedded "LaireOS" based on the MorphOS kernel?

Because everything else seems to be unlikely, e.g. for performance reasons (Mac version via MOL, Amiga version via a PowerUp-extended E-UAE, OS4 for Efika, et cetera).

I admit, I'm curious. :-)
  • »04.10.06 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

Well, if it would be MorphOS, as you seem to assume, it wouldn't be an OS "not publicly known".

maybe they haven't agreed with the whole MOS Team to show MorphOS running on Efika in public without the MOS team being paid.

Maybe they are showing it trying to attract customers interested in MOS so Genesi can invest on MOS again.

IMHO it's clear that it is MorphOS, and I think that unless some company decides to get a license for MOS (I mean... money must flow to the MOS Team) we won't see it running on Efika.
  • »04.10.06 - 13:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    "IMHO it's clear that it is MorphOS, and I think that unless some company decides to get a license for MOS (I mean... money must flow to the MOS Team) we won't see it running on Efika."

I think the same. The MOS team never claimed there would not exist a version of MOS for the Efika, but only that currently and in the next future no enduser version is/will be available.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.10.06 - 14:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    <deleted because being wrong>

[ Edited by Senex on 2006/10/4 15:06 ]
  • »04.10.06 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Torn
    Quote:

pixie wrote:

It cannot be the "not publicly know OS", because the "not publicly know OS" Team said it didn't/won't run on "not publicly known hardware", whereas "not publicly known managers" of "not publicly known company" said it would.

Well, the "not publicly known OS" was shown on "not publicly known MobileGT",IIRC, so maybe the "not publicly known OS Team" really stated that "current public released version of not publicly known OS" won't run on "not publicly known hardware", and it will stay that way, unless [a list of "not publicly known conditions" follows]. :-?
    Well, it's just a "publicly known" speculation of mine... ;-)
  • »04.10.06 - 15:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    of course it's morphOS. Kinda.
  • »04.10.06 - 20:06
    Senex
    As tarbos commented at amiga-news.de meanwhile, the wording ("not publicly known OS") was just meant in a way to say that the OS itself (obviously MorphOS) was not important in that context, because the focus was on the hardware capabilities in general.

Which is understandable, since it wouldn't have made sense indeed to demonstrate the OS itself, given the lack of official Efika support by the MorphOS Team.
  • »05.10.06 - 11:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    if that $99 US$ price is correct.. sign me up!! I'll run MOS on it supported or not.
  • »05.10.06 - 19:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    It was "not publically known" as in a bad translation from German would have it be.

"Not mentioned whatsoever in any of the marketing materials on the booth or any of the staff at the booth" would be the accurate, plain English version.

It doesn't matter what OS it was. That it can play 3D games like that at 1280x1024 (higher than 720p High Definition..) or whatever, that fast, is a performance showcase.
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »05.10.06 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    If no matter what OS you can have that speed then, why not showing in other OSs instead of a "not publicly known OS"?
    It's not as if the same hardware behave the same on different OSs, should it?

Only MorphOS makes it possible 8-)
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »05.10.06 - 22:26
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    However, each time i try some software involving much gfx processing (some emulators, video players, games, 3D stuff), it's always slower on linux. :)
  • »05.10.06 - 22:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >It was "not publically known" as in a bad translation from German would have it be.

Sorry, but no...
    It was a quote and translated as is.
  • »05.10.06 - 22:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Neko wrote:

It doesn't matter what OS it was.

Since when the operating system "doesn't matter"? Sorry, Matt, but quoting agent Mulder:

I WANT TO BELIEVE

;-)
  • »06.10.06 - 08:14
    hooligan
    I WANT TO GET THE HELL OUT FROM THE OFFICE, NOW!

(Have a nice weekend everybody ;-) )
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »06.10.06 - 08:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ hooligan

Mmm, weekend ...

pitcher-of-beer.gif

:pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.10.06 - 09:26
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Atheist
    Hi pixie,

IF I were to buy an Efika (which I would never do), same applies....

BBRV$== "no license", i.e. no one-to-one, I'd pirate mos and use it on the Efika.

He's going to have to make a one-to-one with AOS4.x or mos.

The mos team should ONLY associate with him in that manner.

It's a completely traditional MO.
  • »06.10.06 - 17:54
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Atheist, you simply ROCK!
    Isn't AW big enough for you to express your feelings towards MorphOS and it's users? Isn't jeopardizing all 'blue' related threads in AmigaWorld (and all those who there to stay away from the holly path) a crusade big enough? You must also came here with your delusional remarks?

For crying out loud, who's talking about AOS 4.x here? This thread had its origins before of AWs one...
    (How do you pirate an OS which come with EFIKA?)

[ Edited by pixie on 2006/10/6 23:24 ]
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »07.10.06 - 01:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    pixie:

just take it with a grain of salt and LOL @ them knowing MOS is *THE* OS. Period.
  • »07.10.06 - 02:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    I want an Efika, NOW :P.
  • »07.10.06 - 03:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

have to make a one-to-one with AOS4.x

OK, this is an out-of-context quote, but it's still an argument you're using over and over again. Amiga inc. must get a deal where OS4 will be bundled with EVERY piece of hardware sold (You know, the thing we blame Microsoft for all the time)

Anyway, you DO realize, that f.ex. Sony would never agree to something like that? So the "OS4 on cell" idea can be totally buried.

Just consider
    1) How many OS4+expensive & slow custom hardware solutions can be sold.
    and
    2) How many separate copies of OS4 (with hardware dongle, so you can't use the old "But it will be pirated!1" argument - which for some reason doesn't apply to non-A1 Teron boards. Well neither of them are available anymore anyway) for platforms people already have (Pegasos 1&2, Mac), something they wanted to buy anyway (PS3)

Which one you think would be bigger number?
  • »07.10.06 - 08:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Jupp

Not just Sony, but also "the italians".

The "one to one" idea only work when you have HW that is just to uncompetetive to make a single sell outside "Amiga".

Seems Atheist will never be able to buy any new OS4-capable HW 8-)
  • »07.10.06 - 09:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    Well if it is MorphOS running on the EFIKA, and BBRV can show a price point around 249 USD so that GGS-data or similar could build s system for less then 400 USD then people like me that just want to try the "Amiga - experience" will have a cheap machine to buy. Today even the Peg II seems a little bit to expensive when I can buy a cheap dell or hp machine with a computer screen for less than a non updated hardware, and the Peg II is cheap in Amiga land.

Of course I think MorphOS-team should be paid for each copy sold. But I also think that MorphOS-team might think about long run money. Get a low lisence fee like 10-30$ per sold end user EFIKA. Then charge around 50-70$ for the yearly OS-update. That might create some money to atleast bring have some fun. BUt hey I don't even own a Peg II s I should probarbly shut up :)

BUT PLEASE BRING ME A CHEAP TOY!
  • »07.10.06 - 11:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    Quote:

BUT PLEASE BRING ME A CHEAP TOY!

Let's say we were able to get the EFIKA down to $99. Theoretically, that is possible. The BOM is less than that. Mind you, that is the board only.

Just for discussions sake, but as a statement of desire, Genesi would be willing to funnel $100/EFIKA to Ralph. Ralph could organize and fund whatever financial plan he thought best.

$99 < $100

This is actually the current scenario. These folks can make the EFIKA for roughly that price. We have their proposal.

OSE

What would you recommend?

Sincerely,
    R&B
  • »07.10.06 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Torn
    So, let me get this straight: Thats 99$ for the mobo + 100$ for MOST. On aw.net, you put the same info, so (assuming you'll get license) it's another 100$ to AInc. That would made 299$ for Efika with MOS and AOS4, right? Seems a little too much. One of the bigger assets of Efika is the price... How about setting with both parties for 50$ per board? 199$ is much more acceptable to me...
    Unless you mean separate sells for MOS and AOS, then it will be OK(199$), but I would like to have both OSes, If I can.
  • »07.10.06 - 16:42