Need info on DDR memory for PegII
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi Folks,

I need to find out if there are any special issues with the PC2100 DDR 266mhz style memory that the PegII uses?

There is a funny bug in x86 systems that take pc100/133 memory, that if you go over 128meg and there are not chips on both sides of the board it may not work. This has something to do with the addressing channels. The problem is if you don't know to ask for this you get the regular 1 sided boards, and your system doesn't boot.

So if there is a good place to get PegII memory (on the cheap) let me know. Or if you have had problems with any type of PC2100 DDR memory please pass the information on.

Thanks
    -Shawn
    No more peg. :(
  • »28.04.04 - 06:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    I think i somewhere saw a Database around - but couldnt't
    find it now.

The only thing i know of is that the PegasosII
    is a bit picky. So you maybe get a stick from the
    various resellers around here. Or try to get on the
    safe side with a higher spec ed stick e.g. 333/400 MHz
    DDR Ram CL 2.5/CL2.0 Where i think that the better CL
    may be more important than higher frequency.

After the stick from my reseller got bad i inserted
    one of my 512 MB TwinMOS branded DDR400 CL2.0 Sticks
    in my PegasosII. No problems with that. I think
    Ultraspec uses Crucial branded Ram.

Bye
  • »28.04.04 - 08:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I use 256 MB module with chips only on one side in my Pegasos II. It is Seitec 184DR256M338. It is 333 MHz and has CL 2.5. Works perfrctly.
  • »28.04.04 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    TwinMOS, at least at higher frequency, seems indeed to be a safe bet, am using a TwinMOS DDR 400, 512 MB module here.

My first buy though, an Xtreme (DDR 266, 512 MB), didn't work correctly - at least with the initial firmware version.
  • »28.04.04 - 08:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Donar wrote:
    The only thing i know of is that the PegasosII
    is a bit picky.

I don't agree that the Pegasos II is particulary "picky" with memory, not according to my personal experiences at least. I have tried lots of different memory modules in various configurations, and I have never had any problems. A general rule (and this goes for all platforms) is however to not be cheap when it comes to memory and avoid "low budget" modules. If you are on a tight budget, save your money on the case or stuff like that instead. And I agree with you that it's better to be "on the safe side" when choosing the specs on the memory modules, as always.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.04.04 - 15:03
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    My reseller told me that not all memory works.

That can be because of "agressive" timing.
    I don't know the values but it is clear that a
    DDR 266 CL 3.0 will not like it if you always
    try to drive it with CL 2. On a PC you could
    set the BIOS to various settings (lowering the system
    performance)

Has anybody tried 1 GIG in MorphOS?? I did not
    have luck with it when i installed the second
    512 MB module.
  • »28.04.04 - 15:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Wow, great info. Thanks.
    Okay not that I've gotten into researching this more, there appears to be ECC and Non-ECC memory in the DDR realm and I've seen the term dual-channel DDR.
    It doesn't look like the PC2100 has dual-channels, but some of the pc2700 and pc3200 do. Does PegII support or require Dual-Channel?
    I know that older memory chips this could make a big difference. Any info from group on if that makes a difference, and which works best for PegII. Now I understand you want systems that use ECC if they are mission critical systems. Let's assume that I'm not going to be using this as a corporate enterprise server and just as a workstation. :)

So the real question is are there solid reasons to spend more for the ECC (if so I'll dust off the credit card), or is Non-ECC fine for use with the PegII.

Also, it appears that the brands mentioned are more UK, and Europe based, any input from US owners as to local brands?

Thanks
    -Shawn
  • »28.04.04 - 18:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    This Link will take you to the known running ram on a PegII.
    --Mithalas
  • »28.04.04 - 18:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ultraspec
    UltraSpec uses Crucial DDR400 DIMMs.

Other types we have tried were too much hit-and-miss. The "pick an unknown random stick that's been lying around and try it" strategy is not recommended :)
  • »28.04.04 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    With my Pegasos II both Kingston KVR266X64C2/256, 265MB DDR DRAM (PC2600) and the currently in use Corsair 512MB DDR400 32MX64 CL2(PC3200) work fine.

I haven't the exact name of the Corsair module at hand at the moment, I would have to open my PEG II for that, but this is what the receipt of the shop says.
  • »28.04.04 - 20:06
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
  • »28.04.04 - 20:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >Has anybody tried 1 GIG in MorphOS??

Several people successfully tried 1GB in Peg1 and 2.
  • »29.04.04 - 01:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >It doesn't look like the PC2100 has dual-channels, but some of the pc2700 and pc3200 do.

No, a dual channel memory system needs 2x (64Bit) memory sticks to be inserted at the same time, if the ram controller supports it, to double the available bandwidth.
    Intel 875, Nvidia NForce2 Ultra, Opteron or the G5 Mac are prominent examples.
    Do you remember the original Pentium or CyberstormPPC? They also needed 2x 32Bit Simms to make possible a 64Bit memory access.

>Does PegII support or require Dual-Channel?

No.

>So the real question is are there solid reasons to spend more for the ECC (if so I'll dust off the credit card), or is Non-ECC fine for use with the PegII.

Depends on how mission critical the system is.

>Thanks
    >-Shawn

Only Shawn or Shawn the busarchtroll? :-)
  • »29.04.04 - 01:22
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ultraspec
    Quote:

This provides the most complete stats on the chips.
    Of course the old saying of you get what you pay for should
    always be a factor. Buy the cheapest chips, and you get the cheapest made chips. But then buy the most expensive and you are most likely just throwing away money.

Ram prices are absolutely out of control (again) ... if you don't have any luck with the sticks you have on hand, go with something known to work. You can always zero in on a particular configuration and do some comparison shopping... might save you $10.
  • »30.04.04 - 17:56
    Profile Visit Website