Important Notice regarding X5000 Firmware Updates
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > this firmware rom is mostly different from Amiga Kickstart ROMs.
    > [...] classic Amiga ROM (or ROM image in RAM) continues to play
    > a significant role once the OS is up and running.

This is because classic AmigaOS is actually two-part, disk-based and ROM-based, with the Amiga Kickstart ROM containing the ROM-based portion of the OS. The MorphOS equivalent of the Amiga Kickstart ROM is the boot.img, which is obviously not firmware, but OS. OS4 maintains a similar scheme.
  • »01.11.20 - 16:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

amigakit wrote:
    A-EON Technology is not affiliated to the "ExecSG" team as Trevor has pointed out.

The private branch of the firmware is used for testing and developing the ExecSG projects and has nothing to do with the consumer release of the firmware.

The official X5000 firmware that is distributed on X5000 systems and board is the version that BigFoot has worked on for A-EON over some years.

He is the official maintainer of the firmware for A-EON. A-EON is happy for this relationship to continue going forward and presumably BigFoot is too (his schedule permitting).

And yet, the official maintainer of the firmware for the X5000 systems is asked for help in compiling or setting up an environment that can compile the source code, and is ignored and kept in the dark, regarding projects that modify the firmware he is supposed to be maintaining.

WHY?

[ Edited by amigadave 01.11.2020 - 08:54 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.11.20 - 16:51
  • Just looking around
    Debvgger
    Wow. Talk about mistreating a developer. This is so wrong on so many levels.
  • »03.11.20 - 12:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    I just watched ssolie's AmiWest 2022 talk on ExecSG, where he also mentions the need for a firmware update for the X5000 (and others) in order to make use of OS4 with multicore-enabled ExecSG currently under development. Summary as follows:

"Solie is also responsible for firmware updates. The U-Boot versions for X5000 and A1222 plus not only received various bug fixes, but will now also correctly initialize the additional cores of the multi-core CPUs used in these machines. Firmware updates will be distributed "soon" via A-EON. Once they're installed, the respective computers will then be "multi-core ready"."
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2022-10-00104-EN.html

Does the opening posting of this thread still apply, now that it's 2 years later?
  • »27.10.22 - 11:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I just watched ssolie's AmiWest 2022 talk on ExecSG, where he also mentions the need for a firmware update for the X5000 (and others) in order to make use of OS4 with multicore-enabled ExecSG currently under development. Summary as follows:

"Solie is also responsible for firmware updates. The U-Boot versions for X5000 and A1222 plus not only received various bug fixes, but will now also correctly initialize the additional cores of the multi-core CPUs used in these machines. Firmware updates will be distributed "soon" via A-EON. Once they're installed, the respective computers will then be "multi-core ready"."
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2022-10-00104-EN.html

Does the opening posting of this thread still apply, now that it's 2 years later?

This is exactly what my initial post on this thread refers to, so yes, it very much still applies.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »27.10.22 - 12:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > yes, it very much still applies.

Thanks for the reply.
  • »27.10.22 - 19:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    From what I saw of Amiwest, some backbone functions are being added to support multicore OS4, but there's still no idea how it's going to work in praxis. Because we know how discussions on having multiple concurrently-working CPUs on an OS with a task-shared memory address space usually end up.

Just the usual OS4 stuff, start designing the cushion covers for the house you're going to build, some day...

So probably best to avoid these updates if you plan running MorphOS, unless they do something useful like power down the unused cores.

[ Edited by KennyR 29.10.2022 - 17:05 ]
  • »29.10.22 - 16:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    So probably best to avoid these updates if you plan running MorphOS, unless they do something useful like power down the unused cores.

Unfortunately not even that would be a good excuse. MorphOS already does power down the unused cores, and doing so doesn't actually require booting them and taking them over. You can do it entirely - and easily - from the boot core.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »30.10.22 - 05:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS already does power down the unused cores

Very nice :-) Has this been the case since MorphOS 3.10 or been added later? I don't remember I already read this, at least looking through the release notes since 3.10 I cannot find anything with respect to this.
    Btw, has this feature also been added for PowerMac11 (PPC970MP) meanwhile? (I know that generation isn't officially supported, and that MorphOS supports this on PowerMac7 (PPC970/PPC970FX) since MorphOS 3.10).
  • »30.10.22 - 09:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > MorphOS already does power down the unused cores

Very nice :-) Has this been the case since MorphOS 3.10 or been added later? I don't remember I already read this, at least looking through the release notes since 3.10 I cannot find anything with respect to this.

It's been this way since MorphOS 3.10

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Btw, has this feature also been added for PowerMac11 (PPC970MP) meanwhile? (I know that generation isn't officially support, and that MorphOS supports this on PowerMac7 (PPC970/PPC970FX)).

I don't know, sorry :)
  • »30.10.22 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Btw, has this feature also been added for PowerMac11 (PPC970MP) meanwhile? (I know that generation isn't officially supported, and that MorphOS supports this on PowerMac7 (PPC970/PPC970FX) since MorphOS 3.10).

I can only hope the answer is 'no' as my QUAD consumes approximately 280W when idle.
    If that would be on just one CPU core that would be insane.
  • »12.01.23 - 10:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

koszer schrieb:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I can only hope the answer is 'no' as my QUAD consumes approximately 280W when idle.
    If that would be on just one CPU core that would be insane.

Are you planning to win the morph.zone thread off-topic price of the day and did you check that without gfxcard ? :)
  • »12.01.23 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> has this feature also been added for PowerMac11 (PPC970MP) meanwhile?
    >> (I know that generation isn't officially supported, and that MorphOS
    >> supports this on PowerMac7 (PPC970/PPC970FX) since MorphOS 3.10).

> I can only hope the answer is 'no' as my QUAD consumes approximately
    > 280W when idle. If that would be on just one CPU core that would be insane.

Btw, regarding PowerMac7, there've been findings reported in another thread based on temperature sensor signal suggesting that the 2nd CPU is not completely disabled. So far, I've not seen any explanation what "Disabled the second CPU on PowerMac7 machines" really means technically.
  • »12.01.23 - 14:00