PowerMac G5 Quad Core
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I was just curious how much faster a quad core 2.5 is or even a 2.7 compared to a 2.3? Not so much in just raw numbers but:

Is there a noticeable difference with browsing in Wayfarer?

Real world every day usage?

My 2.3 for certain items it perfectly fast, but for especially with wayfarer gets bogged down with some sites.
  • »15.09.22 - 16:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    I was just curious how much faster a quad core 2.5 is or even a 2.7 compared to a 2.3? Not so much in just raw numbers but:

Is there a noticeable difference with browsing in Wayfarer?

Real world every day usage?

My 2.3 for certain items it perfectly fast, but for especially with wayfarer gets bogged down with some sites.

I've got a quad core 2.5 and its a fair bit faster on Wayfarer than my MacMini 1.5 and PowerBook 1.7 but it still gets bogged down on certain websites and my iphone 13 can easily outrun it, as you would expect. Sites like Facebook (non-mobile version) and Microsoft applications it gets there in the end, as Wayfarer is so good and modern, but can still take time.

Its still my MorphOS machine of choice though, as its fairly rare for the CPU to load up in the same way as the MacMini and its still the quickest by some margin. It's ability to play higher resolution videos on YouTube is also much better.

Is it faster than a slightly older 2.7 or 2.3? It should be as its DDR3 memory and I've also installed a SSD to try and speed it up as much as possible, but in real use I bet its hardly noticeable.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »15.09.22 - 16:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is it faster than a slightly older 2.7 or 2.3? It should be as its DDR3 memory

In fact, it's DDR2 (vs. DDR). Besides, PCIe is significantly faster than AGP for software taxing the graphics bus.

Edit: added "than AGP"

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 15.09.2022 - 22:05 ]
  • »15.09.22 - 20:24
    matt3
    So I'm best to leave well enough alone :).

Sound like the 2.7 may be faster than the 2.5 in some situations.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Is it faster than a slightly older 2.7 or 2.3? It should be as its DDR3 memory

In fact, it's DDR2 (vs. DDR). Besides, PCIe is significantly faster for software taxing the graphics bus.
  • »15.09.22 - 21:00
    matt3
    Best configuration for a 2.5?

What video card is best (esp. with the new updates...)?

What cards can do dual monitor in a 2.5? Will I need 2 cards for best results for multimonitor?

My 2.3 is on the way out and I'm looking at options right now...

Do I need to purchase anything else to make it work with MOS 3.17?
  • »06.10.22 - 03:11
  • Just looking around
    On my Quad G5, I added a Silicon Media sil3432 SATA II PCIE card. This driver is still probably NOT going to work in MorphOS in the short term. Now I have a problem with ethernet, I use a TP-LINK 1Gb Ethernet PCIE card. I don't have the speed over a 400Mb connection as normal. I only get 500KB a second on average, and am pTulling my hair out at how slow it is. Is there anyone who has experienced this?

Andrew H.

[ Edited by huffandy 07.10.2022 - 22:12 ]
  • »08.10.22 - 04:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @huffdandy

If you have a local Win/Linux machine that could be used as a proxy, try running that one one. There's setup instructions here: https://wayfarer.icu/faq under How can I use a VPN for geo-blocked websites?. Essentially this works around a problem in our networking stack (which is under investigation).
  • »08.10.22 - 16:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    I have a PowerMac MDD here (Wiltshire, UK) that needs to find a good home. It has an NVidia gfx card, so would need a Radeon, and I have done a PSU fan replacement so it doesn't sound like an airplane taking off permanently, but is there anyone who would like to discuss taking it off my hands?
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »09.10.22 - 23:55
    Profile Visit Website