• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Pegasos 2 today is nearly 15years old.

Release was in December 2003, so it's 15½ years :-)

> I overclocked Peg2 to 1.33MHz

;-)

;-) maybe I buyed him in 2004? I have to look to archive.

sorry, of course 1.33 GHz ;-)
    1.33GHz not bad, it outperforms SAM460 in Tower57 "benchmark" and have 3003 MIPS/core compares to 3960 on X1000 and 4750 on G5Quad

Last things what I can do for speedup is SATA (this topic), and overclock Radeon9800pro. I cannot reach the 9800XT frequencies, but yesteday I tested succesfully overclocking core 378->394.88, and memory 337.5->351 frequencies. Now I need change BIOS and try it on Pegasos ;-)
    Maybe later, If I find some cheap HD4xxx I will also test it on PCI slot.

There are some cards being sold as 9800Pro cards that has universally keyed AGP card edge connectors and have R360 gpu's (like the 9800XT), but again I've only kept one flashed 9800 with a 128K rom that actually works correctly in my G4.
    And many R300/R360 cards use lousy memory that is clocked below ATI's own cards, or won't handle being clicked to 9800XT speeds which limits what you can do even if you have an R360 gpu.
    Also, speed changes really require editing the rom as I don't know of a MorphOS utility that allows the adjustment of ATI gpu and vram speeds on the fly.

What would be nice is a vmod for the Peg2 that would lower the voltage supplied to the AGP slot.
    BUT, that would probably entail replacing the AGP slot connector with a 4x/8x part as well (the cards would have to physically fit.

There is a point where all this gets to be too much effort.

If you could find a PCI HD 5450 (or was it 5470) that would be an option. Good luck with that though. I have never seen one actually offered for sale. Specs on cards that were supposedly produced, but no cards.

If we had good docs for the Peg2, not just schematics, but full board layouts, we could build new boards with higher clock speeds, adjustability, and a lower voltage, more modern AGP slot, etc.
    And I don't know where you'd get the critical Marvell part.

A T10XX or T2080 based board would make more sense.

Or, as you and Andreas have concluded a Blackbird port (or the release of a late 2005 G5 port), would be more practical.

Looks like you've about maxed it out.

Why not enjoy what you have, and if you really want a G4, buy an FW800 (or just go for the G5)?
    Who said you can't have more than one MorphOS system?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.06.19 - 03:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    There are some cards being sold as 9800Pro cards that has universally keyed AGP card edge connectors and have R360 gpu's (like the 9800XT), but again I've only kept one flashed 9800 with a 128K rom that actually works correctly in my G4.
    And many R300/R360 cards use lousy memory that is clocked below ATI's own cards, or won't handle being clicked to 9800XT speeds which limits what you can do even if you have an R360 gpu.
    Also, speed changes really require editing the rom as I don't know of a MorphOS utility that allows the adjustment of ATI gpu and vram speeds on the fly.

What would be nice is a vmod for the Peg2 that would lower the voltage supplied to the AGP slot.
    BUT, that would probably entail replacing the AGP slot connector with a 4x/8x part as well (the cards would have to physically fit.

There is a point where all this gets to be too much effort.

If you could find a PCI HD 5450 (or was it 5470) that would be an option. Good luck with that though. I have never seen one actually offered for sale. Specs on cards that were supposedly produced, but no cards.

If we had good docs for the Peg2, not just schematics, but full board layouts, we could build new boards with higher clock speeds, adjustability, and a lower voltage, more modern AGP slot, etc.
    And I don't know where you'd get the critical Marvell part.

A T10XX or T2080 based board would make more sense.

Or, as you and Andreas have concluded a Blackbird port (or the release of a late 2005 G5 port), would be more practical.

Looks like you've about maxed it out.

Why not enjoy what you have, and if you really want a G4, buy an FW800 (or just go for the G5)?
    Who said you can't have more than one MorphOS system?

9800Pro I found only in two main alternatives: universal-keyed R350 and R360 1.5V-keyed. R360 can be reflashed and overclocked to 9800XT, and R350 cannot.
    I edited flash rom of R350 to 351MHz memory and 392MHz core. window01.png and equip card with modified cooler Thermalright V-1 Ultra.

PCI+HDxxxx card I will test in future, only if I have some suitable HDxx card nearby. I wonder if HD card will be faster - because AGP have double PCI speed in Pegasos 2.
    And regarding Marwell - I am only suspicious, that it is critical part. The main reason is, that I cannot find pair of RAMs which have no errors even on non-modified 1.0GHz machine.

I think that vmod will be fine, but I agree, it is too much effort, and is not so important.
    I probably also can try some AGP3.3V -> PCI3.3V,66MHz,32bit reduction - it can be useful for SATA2 card. Promise TX4 is designed for 3.3V,32b,66MHz. If it can be suitable for graphic cards, I don't know. But all this is theory only.

From practical point of view I agree - Blackbird/Talos, G5-2005, T10XX or T2080 have more sense. ( I had in my computer room G5 quad and iMac G5 waiting for morphos several years ;-))

Yes, I have already maxed out my Pegasos HW speed. The reason why I posted this thread is, that MorphOS sata.device have lack of speed (and features) even for SATAI drives.

And definitely - I can have have more then one MorphOs system. With pleasure.

[ Edited by sailor 04.06.2019 - 09:56 ]
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »04.06.19 - 08:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > a vmod for the Peg2 that would lower the voltage supplied to the AGP slot
    > [...] would probably entail replacing the AGP slot connector with a 4x/8x part

Yes, absolutely.

> If you could find a PCI HD 5450 (or was it 5470)

It's 5450.

> that would be an option.

Although currently no overlay with MorphOS.

> I have never seen one actually offered for sale.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12232&forum=9&start=37
    (Additionally, eBay Germany has a used one (CGA-5452PLI) for 130 EUR (146 USD).)

> if you really want a G4

He does have a Pegasos II G4. It's what this thread is about ;-)
  • »04.06.19 - 14:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I cannot find pair of RAMs which have no errors

2× 1 GiB can only work error-free on revision 2B5 boards.
  • »04.06.19 - 21:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I cannot find pair of RAMs which have no errors

2× 1 GiB can only work error-free on revision 2B5 boards.

yes, 2B5 is best for 2GB.

But theoretically from rev.2B2 is Pegasos2 2GB capable. In past I spoke about this with Thomas Knäbel from bplan and he confirmed that 2B2 motherboard is 2G capable, but there was a very limited amount modules which works.
    Somewhere (forgot where) I also read, that from rev. 2B3 is much better chance to 2GB work.

And as I tried many pairs of RAM and none of them works, it is nearly the same as 2B2 is not 2GB capable ;-)
    Btw. I found only one 2x RAM combination which worked for me - 512+256 MB.
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »05.06.19 - 07:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> 2× 1 GiB can only work error-free on revision 2B5 boards.

> yes, 2B5 is best for 2GB. But theoretically from rev.2B2 is Pegasos2
    > 2GB capable. In past I spoke about this with Thomas Knäbel from bplan
    > and he confirmed that 2B2 motherboard is 2G capable, but there was a
    > very limited amount modules which works. Somewhere (forgot where)
    > I also read, that from rev. 2B3 is much better chance to 2GB work.

I've yet to read about any pre-2B5 board that works reliably (i.e. also tested successfully with Linux, because that works harder on the memory than MorphOS) with 2× 1 GiB, and even with 2B5 it's hit or miss. Theoretically, all boards from 2B1 on should work with 2× 1 GiB, because that's what the official mainboard specs claim ;-)
  • »05.06.19 - 09:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I've yet to read about any pre-2B5 board that works reliably (i.e. also tested successfully with Linux, because that works harder on the memory than MorphOS) with 2× 1 GiB, and even with 2B5 it's hit or miss. Theoretically, all boards from 2B1 on should work with 2× 1 GiB, because that's what the official mainboard specs claim ;-)

here is succesfull 2GB with rev 2B1 2GB on Pegasos 2 rev 2B1
    And as I gave him some advices when he installed and tested MintPPC it looks that it works with linux.

But this is the only Pegasos 2B1 revision with 2GB I know about.
  • »05.06.19 - 10:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > here is succesfull 2GB with rev 2B1 2GB on Pegasos 2 rev 2B1
    > [...] it looks that it works with linux.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

> But this is the only Pegasos 2B1 revision with 2GB I know about.

It's even the only pre-2B5 board with reliably working 2 GiB *I* know about ;-)
  • »05.06.19 - 10:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

sometimes miracle happens, Prober is lucky man.
  • »05.06.19 - 12:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

sometimes miracle happens, Prober is lucky man.

I have exactly the same 2x1GB memory as the one pictured in the thread you linked.
    It works nicely on my Pegasos 2 too.
  • »08.06.19 - 09:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have exactly the same 2x1GB memory as the one pictured
    > in the thread you linked. It works nicely on my Pegasos 2 too.

What's your board revision?
  • »08.06.19 - 09:45
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I have exactly the same 2x1GB memory as the one pictured
    > in the thread you linked. It works nicely on my Pegasos 2 too.

What's your board revision?

How to you know the board revision?
    All I know is about firmware: v1.2 20050808
  • »08.06.19 - 10:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > How to you know the board revision?

It's printed on the board.
  • »08.06.19 - 12:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > How to you know the board revision?

It's printed on the board.

Ok, found it! It is rev 2B5. :)
  • »08.06.19 - 14:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Ok, found it! It is rev 2B5. :)

So in your case it's no surprise that 2× 1 GiB works :-)
  • »08.06.19 - 18:44
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Ok, found it! It is rev 2B5. :)

So in your case it's no surprise that 2× 1 GiB works :-)

Well, I had several dimm pairs that didn't operate stable before this one (most pairs I tested worked single but not dual).
  • »08.06.19 - 23:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I had several dimm pairs that didn't operate stable before this one

Yes, see comment #31 :-)
  • »09.06.19 - 07:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Is it possible to boot MorphOS from a sil3114 PCI card completely or do I have to install the boot.img file on a hard disk on the IDE port?
    Does MorphOS 1.4.5 also support SATA PCI cards?

Thank you
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »14.05.20 - 20:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I think, PEG OpenFirmware does not support such card. Do a test! If it occours in device-tree, it could work. If no dev-alias is generated, you may have to set full hardwarepath to boot from there.....
    To MOS hardwarecompatibility to MOS1.4 .5 you have to ask MOS-Team.....

Btw: Why useing MOS1.4.5 on PEG??

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 14.05.2020 - 21:55 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »14.05.20 - 20:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does MorphOS 1.4.5 also support SATA PCI cards?

SATA support came with MorphOS 2.5.
  • »14.05.20 - 21:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Sailor: your screenshot in the first message cannot be viewed: Error 451!
    The page is blocked due to the decision of the authorities in your area.

Can you include it in the text or upload it to another place?

I would be happy if my Pegasos 2 would be as fast as yours. I mean the Pegasos itself is fast but harddrives are always slow when I copy files. I don’t know why but I only get transfer rates of 1MB/s in average when I copy big files like images, sound files, videos. This is on the IDE drive and the SATA drives. Even on SATA drive with the ulsata device you mention I only get this slow speed. This is much worse than USB! What can be wrong? Which settings can I check?

I have not upgraded my Pegasos 2, it is still G4 at 1GHz.

> https://www.probers.cz/jak-pretaktovat-procesor-u-pegasose-ii/
    Wow, that’s a monster cooler! Does it not pull out the CPU card because of the big size and heavy weight? I would fear that could damage the CPU card and slot and mainboard.

You write:
    > Only things what I did against this is new power supply and proper cooling:
    I used oversized passive cooler with fan, passive cooler on RAM, passive coolers on Northbridge and Southbridge.

But on the pictures I see only active coollers (fans). Do you have other pcitures? And which passive colllers do you use?

> And if, please can you check the morphos-debug.log, if your drives recognized like UDMA5=100MB/s or UDMA6=133MB/s.

How can I do this?

> PCI HD 5450
    Is that the best card for the Pegasos 2?

> > I cannot find pair of RAMs which have no errors

> 2× 1 GiB can only work error-free on revision 2B5 boards.

I have that board. Which RAM do I have to buy?
  • »15.05.20 - 12:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> PCI HD 5450

> Is that the best card for the Pegasos 2?

It's the newest one at least. MorphOS doesn't support 3D acceleration or overlay with this card, though. Also, SmartFirmware won't show on this card (or any other card with a bridge chip).
  • »15.05.20 - 12:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    >Sailor: your screenshot in the first message cannot be viewed: Error 451!

I see. They changed the rules, obviously.

>Can you include it in the text or upload it to another place?

I will do it.

>I would be happy if my Pegasos 2 would be as fast as yours. I mean the Pegasos itself is fast but harddrives are always slow when I copy files. I don’t know why but I only get transfer rates of 1MB/s in average when I copy big files like images, sound files, videos. This is on the IDE drive and the SATA drives. Even on SATA drive with the ulsata device you mention I only get this slow speed. This is much worse than USB! What can be wrong? Which settings can I check?

I am sure that default morphos settings are OK. Simply I don't know. Maybe try to increase number of buffers - what is your actual number?

>I have not upgraded my Pegasos 2, it is still G4 at 1GHz.

1GHz is not bad, MorphOS is very lightweight, but 1.3 is very good for internet etc..

>> https://www.probers.cz/jak-pretaktovat-procesor-u-pegasose-ii/
    >Wow, that’s a monster cooler! Does it not pull out the CPU card because of the big size and heavy weight? I would fear that could damage the CPU card and slot and mainboard.

Yes this one and also my actual cooler (ARCTIC Alpine M1-Passive Socket AM1) are oversized. I calculated that overclocked CPU MPC7447 have less then 30W TDP. You can use some smaller if you want, but it is quite difficult find some which fits on CPU card. And motherboard+cpucard are OK. I will post photo somewhere.

>You write:
    >> Only things what I did against this is new power supply and proper cooling:
    I used oversized passive cooler with fan, passive cooler on RAM, passive coolers on Northbridge and Southbridge.
    >But on the pictures I see only active coollers (fans). Do you have other pcitures? And which passive colllers do you use?

I will post photos.

>> And if, please can you check the morphos-debug.log, if your drives recognized like UDMA5=100MB/s or UDMA6=133MB/s.
    >How can I do this?

the easiest way is to use builtin Screenbar module: Debug
    You can see here all boot messages

> PCI HD 5450
    Is that the best card for the Pegasos 2?
    HD 5450 PCI - newest, 2D, no overlay, 19W only
    HD 4350 PCI - 2D, hardware overlay, 20W only
    9800 PRO AGP - 2D, 3D, 47W.
    It depends, what you want to do with your Peg. But I do not tried the PCI cards.

> > I cannot find pair of RAMs which have no errors
    > 2× 1 GiB can only work error-free on revision 2B5 boards.
    I have that board. Which RAM do I have to buy?
    you can try this-modules or this - they works each at least on one Pegasos2. But you have no guarantee, you have to try them.
  • »15.05.20 - 13:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    Sailor: your screenshot in the first message cannot be viewed: Error 451!
    Can you include it in the text or upload it to another place?

See here:
    Peg2(1.33GHz) Controllers Comparison

[ Edited by sailor 18.05.2020 - 09:37 ]
  • »18.05.20 - 08:36