• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR schrieb:

I tried RiscOS on RPi, because I remember using it back when I was at high school in 1993 on Acorn Archimedes computers. I played for it for about 10 minutes, then gave up because it had no software, and then installed Raspbian.

I suspect most people's response to MorphOS would be the same, especially if it was a brand-new supa-dupa "not legacy compatible" MorphOS that runs even less stuff.

Yep. Even the long standing and most native ARM desktop environment - Risc OS - has more or less no impact. I would have absolutely no hope for MorphOS in this regards. To be true: my assumption is based on the comparison between MorphOS/Risc OS and ARM-Linux variants. Not fair, eh? :-)

Of course Risc OS had a real boost regarding user count with the PI (and BeagleBoard etc.).

RiscOS's real advantage on the Pi is that hundreds, possibly thousands, of people worldwide are still using educational and scientific software that requires RiscOS and has no direct replacement. Until the Pi (and Beagle, etc), that meant using an Acorn Archimedes manufactured in the late 80s or early 90s and somehow keeping it alive and connected to modern peripherals. The Pi is an almost direct replacement.

I doubt its inclusion on Noobs gained it any more usershare - it is a fairly basic, cooperative multitasking OS with possibly less hardware support than MorphOS. It is also less friendly to new users than MorphOS is.

So again it comes down to software. People use an OS because they need specific software, not because they enjoy using any particular OS.
  • »05.08.16 - 13:04