• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    The Raspberry Pi is an educational device. It was built because the graduates coming into companies were no longer being trained in computing properly. They built the Raspberry Pi as a really cheap computer so it could be used in schools. Performance wasn't really a consideration, price was.

Turns out it was a roaring success and they've sold millions of them now. They've also achieved their mission of turning the UK education system around. They're now teaching computer science again. Even the BBC have got in on the action, every year 7 is being given a micro:bit, which is another educational device.

There's a whole stack of OSs available for it now. Granted many of these are Linux based but there's also RiscOS, BSD, NetBSD and even a version of Windows 10. Interestingly there seem to be quite a few special purpose OSs for media centres, audio players, retro gaming and such like.

As for MorphOS...

No, it's not the fastest machine out there (RPi 3 is probably around a Peg G4 / low end G5) but there are 5 million of them out there.
    A lot of those using them are interested in tinkering with computers and operating systems. A version for the RPi could get thousands of new users on board. New users means new developers, and that could inject a whole new life into the community.

I tried RiscOS on RPi, because I remember using it back when I was at high school in 1993 on Acorn Archimedes computers. I played for it for about 10 minutes, then gave up because it had no software, and then installed Raspbian.

I suspect most people's response to MorphOS would be the same, especially if it was a brand-new supa-dupa "not legacy compatible" MorphOS that runs even less stuff.
  • »03.08.16 - 20:11