id Software to release Doom 3 source code
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Cool_amigaN

It's buggy depending of the day.

Did you start the game with the icon provided ? It has stack increased there and happens to be more stable doing it that way.

Hopping that the dhewm.cfg provided is used, some tip:
    You can gain extra video/ram memory disabling image_useAllFormats ( to "0" ). At least less is used in my system.

Game has been worked over the months as far as I got with opengl functions failing. One of the tests I've done fixes the stutter with VBO's when increased requirements are needed but makes game a little slower but the slower parts aren't so much.

Nothing done for extra mods from my part. Still a lot to do with recent changes but hopping for a new tinygl release to fix whole bunch of things.

New SDL 2.0.16 library is recomended now.
  • »14.01.22 - 13:42
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Just checked out r4 with updated SDL/3.16...vast improvements! Keep up the good work everyone!

Waldi Amiga did a video here:

Doom 3 on MorphOS 3.16

[ Edited by IKE 17.03.2022 - 12:43 ]
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »17.03.22 - 19:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Cool! I'm assuming that's cowcat's channel?
  • »18.03.22 - 09:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Waldi Amiga did a video here: [...]

> I'm assuming that's cowcat's channel?

No, as the channel name says, that's waldiamiga's channel. cowcat's channel has been linked to in this thread in numerous comments.
  • »18.03.22 - 13:38
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    waldiamiga
    This video was mainly made for Cowcat to see how its Beta 4 port behaves on MorphOS 3.16 and Radeon R300. A movie from the newer version of the port will probably be made tomorrow, if my tripod (read - wife) for the smartphone finds some time :)

MorphOS.pl
    PowerBook G4 1.67GHz|2GB DDR2|ATI Radeon 9700M 128MB|SSD 80GB|TFT 17"|MorphOS 3.1x
    Core i7 Notebook|WinUAE 3.x/AmigaOS4.1x & Icaros Desktop 2.x & QEmu 6.x.x
  • »19.03.22 - 07:13
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    The controversy:

- I'm not a "blue troll" whose purpose in life is throwing shit to other platforms.

- I'm not a truly developer: I do crap till something works. If you find it useful so be it.

- I'm not hidding in a cave looking for the next drama because "oh, my D3 port sucks so "let's fuck whatever I'm thinking to do today, like targeting that one developer".

So, for those defenders of "Holy AmigaOS Truth" pointing at MOS team developers you're pointing at the wrong place: Blame me and enjoy your stupid conclusions (read again the three points above).

For those that don't know:

- I started this port a year ago. Weeks later I see a OS4 port. So far good but it looks familiar. Whatever.

- In A1k forum a thread is going on and I pointed out about the familiarity of the OS4 port. I asked about sharing code sources but seems that never reached to anyone. Whatever.

Let's put names (you wanted):

HunoPPC is doing his thing. Fine.

Then wrotes that those are his D3 sources from years back. His own stuff. Ok.

More OS4 D3 videos appear. The output of D3 console brings some of my own debugging for the solely purpose to mark where MOS fails to do it's VBO stuff (discussed quite a few times here). It is not what original Dhewm3 has in official sources, in fact more code is added by me for ATI cards: You can read the evolution of the port here and on my Github.

The "Drama":

I wrote a post in some forum. Suddenly D3 OS4 youtube movies are private.

Today I see parts of my post running around.

Believe whatever or better don't take a part of it: I show my shit following the GPL rules and while being very independent I colaborate with others here and there. But guess who never showed a damn thing (by standard rules).

(ForFSake): Huno, dude, Do you think I did not download some of your OS4 D3 videos?

Edit: Removed the EAB forum part claims: My exact words were from another forum (anyways I wrote in EAB too but didn't show up for whatever reason).

[ Edited by Cowcat 17.04.2022 - 16:13 ]
  • »17.04.22 - 10:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Well if it's any comfort, he's about as likely to develop your stolen code as a chimpanzee is to figure out how a jet engine works.
  • »17.04.22 - 18:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    I don't know if HunoPPC will answer (here or anywhere) but I just want to give you some informations.

First, I post here without asking him if he is ok with that.

Second, I know him since many years (decades), I visit him time to time and I can confirm he works on Doom 3 since 2 years and a half or more (he showed me Doom 3 before covid-19, so).

I talked with him about this "drama" yesterday and he explained me and showed me why his debug is similar : he looks where there are VBO and shaders "problems" to correct them, so it's normal and logic that he wants to have a debug like this. Shaders don't work out of the box and the compiler, even on OS4 and their 3D driver.

KennyR : Did you take a look at his others developments ? What you wrote is not useful and that doesn't help...
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »17.04.22 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @BattleMan

At least there's some kind of explanation.

Let's assume the coincidence that one port came "alive" after another. I read that he hinted about the OS4 Doom3 port years ago in some interview.

But lets put things in place:

- It is not a paranormal coincidence that the output for "his" debugging has exactly the same words I wrote in and it's placed exactly in the same function (in fact in 2 places) ?

- Could be a coincidence that VBOs getting increased had the same problem in OS4 ? Two developers have the same problem with a gfx driver for different platforms and used the same debug output (not in any D3 sources out there but in my git) ?

Mind you: This problem was an stupid leftover in TinyGL that a week ago was fixed for new MOS 3.17. Nothing crazy AFAIK.

Same stupid internal bug for two different gfx drivers/platforms ? Lottery ?.

Fact: I never saw a OS4 D3 video getting the lags that MOS (had) in the same places or scenes. Other problems? Of course but not related to that one in particular.

EDIT - To be clear here: This is a copy paste source code from my github that has nothing to do for other platforms. May I wonder he forgot about that or he really used my whole git sources ????

More below.

- It is a coincidence that the preliminary videos out there of MOS or OS4 looked quite similar despite glitches ? Why ?

I tell you: MOS gfx drivers don't have shaders (don't talk about shaders as my sources bypasses them) but unfortunately have also multitexturing fucked up.

I came up to an idea about using very old draw stuff from old Id D3 sources AND a way to bypass opengl functions so at least have something on screen.

- Coincidence that OS4 opengl also has Texgen functions fucked up ? Really ?

I'm not bitching about "stolen" stuff. Nothing about that. But those anormalities and both MOS and OS4 ports on display doing "things" the same way rings a bell to me.

I don't give a damn about what port or what sources he uses (mine or whatever) but to give credit to people that did something before is paramount.

And why he removed his videos ? If it's all his stuff what he wants to hide ? I just wonder.
  • »17.04.22 - 21:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Ok, I (BatteMan and not BattleMan by the way) am not developer.
    I just try to give some infos to avoid an useless fighting.

All I can say, it's that he traces VBO/shaders problems to make them working with OS4 shaders, that's it, and I can't say or understand more.
    Is it normal to seek same problems ? Seems legit to me, even if I don't understand how we can track shaders bug...

Why did he remove his videos ? I don't know...

Will he answer ? I don't know, again, but did you try to contact him directly ? It's always better to talk privatly before putting all publicly, no ?

I'll send him a message if he wants to put some words here or to exchange with you directly. It's the only thing I can do.
  • »17.04.22 - 22:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sorry BatteMan. Sight issues.

Quote:

Why did he remove his videos ? I don't know...

For now the retarded shit that people wrote in ppa.pl forum should stop as they accuse others that have no relation to the "Project UAC".
  • »18.04.22 - 00:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Dear Cowcat You don't made D3 from scratch.
    More than 99% of code is from ID Software.
    HunoPPC may face exactly the same problems with porting
    just beacuse You and HunoPPC share 99% of code.
  • »18.04.22 - 09:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @ppcamiga1

Of course: No one does stuff from nothing and both ports could suffer the same issues.

Obviously 99% of code should be equal for MOS and OS4. In fact few things should be touched while using gpl sources but everyone knows that for these platforms is not always the case.

Basically the problems are in gfx drivers but this is not the issue here and that's the nature of my rants (those should be read a couple of times).

I'm not against the OS4 port. In fact I support fair competition and a OS4 port should exist no matter what.
  • »18.04.22 - 10:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Cowcat wrote:
    For now the retarded shit that people wrote in ppa.pl forum should stop as they accuse others that have no relation to the "Project UAC".

The portal has, in my opinion, become a place where the frustrated OS4 users come to vent. Best do your own thing and ignore those guys.
  • »18.04.22 - 14:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    @Cowcat

Assuming what you say is true:
    Perhaps it would have been more prudent to wait for the eventual public release and see if you were mentioned in the acknowledgments and perhaps check if the code was made public or shared on demand.

I see no reason to think differently, sometimes we see wars where there are none.
  • »19.04.22 - 06:07
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    @Cowcat

Perhaps it would have been more prudent to wait for the eventual public release and see if you were mentioned in the acknowledgments and perhaps check if the code was made public or shared on demand.

I see no reason to think differently, sometimes we see wars where there are none.

Huno doesn't release the source for his ports (at least I never saw him doing so, or respond to such requests), so it's not like Cowcat will be able to check the code afterwards.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »19.04.22 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Flash

Quote:

Certainly everyone is allowed to make mistakes. A while ago I got a slap in the wrist for not including a license on some project. A true mistake but not a big deal.

Could I be wrong ? ....

Quote:

Perhaps it would have been more prudent to wait for the eventual public release

... but is about timing and context: Who claimed what, who did that and when.

Some nutcase claims D3 OS4 running port was done in a couple of days bragging about that and the incompetence of others doing the other port that's taking too long.

I see (as others who paid attention) THIS on the famous videos:

Code:
    -----Alloc more headers in. Size = "SomeValue".
    -----Alloc more headers out

Guess what on my github (neo/renderer/VertexCache.cpp):

Code:
    if ( freeStaticHeaders.next == &freeStaticHeaders ) // Cowcat notes: Huge lag here for MOS.
    {
    common->Printf( "-----Alloc more headers in. Size = %in", size );

for ( int i = 0; i < EXPAND_HEADERS; i++ )
    {
    block = headerAllocator.Alloc();

if( !virtualMemory )
    {
    qglGenBuffersARB( 1, &block->vbo );
    block->size = 0;
    }

block->next = freeStaticHeaders.next;
    block->prev = &freeStaticHeaders;
    block->next->prev = block;
    block->prev->next = block;
    }

//common->Printf( "-----Alloc more headers out. Size = %in", block->size );
    common->Printf( "-----Alloc more headers outn");
    }

Oops....those Printf don't exist in idD3/Dhewm3 sources.

Proofs? I send a pm to everyone who wants more.

Now, did someone use a part of my sources, the whole of it or a fucking comma ?. Be my guest. Use it. Acknowledge me (and the others that came before). Maybe not for a comma or tab space.

PS: Did someone really believe that my Amiga WarpOS games are build with the purpose of not been allowed to run in OS4 ? Are you fucking kidding me ? (note: this was a problem with gcc warpos that's fixed a while ago. Allow me to recompile my whole stuff to run with AOS4 ).

[ Edited by Cowcat 19.04.2022 - 11:28 ]
  • »19.04.22 - 09:51
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Alright:

https://paste.pics/d0fa78c00cb8f35e14aed0430edb6830

This framegrab will last some days. If needed I will put it back again.
  • »20.04.22 - 08:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    I hope all this drama doesn't stop you from continuing with your port Cowcat?

I'm very excited about this project.
  • »20.04.22 - 08:35
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @MoerBoer

Quote:

I hope all this drama doesn't stop you from continuing with your port Cowcat?

Drama? It's a good movie. But due to poor understanding, bullshitting, people taking positions while some of them on my side of things taking crap for that, I don't shut up.

Project so far ?

It's been worked basically since it's inception and got many, many versions but not to the point to be good enough to me.

Just recently bigfoot compiled D3, tested it and fixed something in TinyGL so that is good.

Could be interesting to have some Altivec wizard to take a look at those old Simd_Altivec sources. I basically poke around those, put them in SIMD_generic, change gcc compile options, etc but not quite there.

I believe old MacOS powerpc gcc "16 aligned" all his stuff by default so it could be the issue here.

Don't be afraid to collaborate: If you want to port it to a toaster I may help.
  • »20.04.22 - 10:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Quote:

Don't be afraid to collaborate: If you want to port it to a toaster I may help.

already done:
    toster.jpg

[ Edited by zukow 20.04.2022 - 13:30 ]
  • »20.04.22 - 11:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @zukow

Dude ! You made the meme of the year !!!

Someone should make a T-Shirt.

Can you make an icon launcher of this ?

[ Edited by Cowcat 20.04.2022 - 12:49 ]
  • »20.04.22 - 11:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    For information, HunoPPC opened a Github with sourcecode : https://github.com/HunoPPC-NG/Dhewm3-for-EGL_Wrap-AmigaOS4
  • »22.04.22 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    That's a welcome development.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »24.04.22 - 10:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • IKE
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Greetings! Over the past month in my spare time, I was able to play Cowcat's Doom 3 (Project UAC aka Dhewm3) from the beginning to end (every level) on my PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB. Many thanks to all MorphOS developers! It's still a work in progress, but Cowcat is doing great and with the recent updates to the OS, SDL and TinyGL it is entirely possible.

Looking forward to future enhancements!

Check out the MorphOS version ending here:

https://youtu.be/w2y25VgRG40
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB