MorphOS v1.5 - How many of you wants it out now?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    @TMHG

I find it more interesting to wait and then one day finally be happy that I have MorphOS 1.5, and spend a couple of days examining what goodies it has to offer.
    Some people seems to be like children waiting for christmas.. wanting to know presents beforehand. Now wheres the fun in that? :)

... and Christmas is right around the corner now!!! :-o ;-)

No, I don't mind the waiting either. My setup is perfectly usable. I have networking and all (OK, I wouldn't mind some Altivec for my stupid crunching needs, but that's not really that important ;-)). No, it's the "vaccuum" feeling that disturbs me. The Official MorphOS Team obviously felt the need to spank BBRV for their vivid discussions and perhaps slightly "over-enthusiastic" statements (or rather "public think-tank") on public forums (this was at the time when the term "The Official MorphOS Team" came to be). And yes, it now looks like BBRV has restrained themselves to only show off MorphOS at trade shows and seminars etc, but what came in their place? Void! I liked it better when there at least were some percieved motion, some visible/imaginary momentum, even though it only may have been pure perception. I'm sure that a lot of work is being done behind the scene by our heroes, the Official MorphOS Team, I only hope that the momentum hasn't totally died off because of stupid reasons when the time comes to actually releasing something. The community needs to be vivid, with a solid belief in the future in order to be kept alive until then. Void won't do!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.10.04 - 00:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    <sigh>

Anyway, nothing pisses off programmers more than users whining about this or that constantly. They also dont like writing docs or posting blogs about "what they are doing"

I know! :-)

But perhaps they could then "outsource" the communication part to, say, BBRV? Or someone else? It's not about "writing logs every day", it's more about keeping the public spirit high! ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.10.04 - 00:54
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    @takemehomegrandma

It seems interesting some PR guy for MorphOS team, could be nice some of them mading public statements when its necessary, probably at a max time period of 4 weeks. Some type "whats groing about MorphOS development " monthly article or something. About BBRV its OK, but BBRV isnt a programmer of MorphOS team, and I think that this is better for one of them (knowing better the MorphOS thingies and others...). But personally I think that they shut up-ed because they want to do, and then not has possibility for being "copied", and then release the "surprise edition" aka MorphOS 1.5 ...
  • »27.10.04 - 04:50
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

timofonic wrote:
    @takemehomegrandma

It seems interesting some PR guy for MorphOS team, could be nice some of them mading public statements when its necessary, probably at a max time period of 4 weeks. Some type "whats groing about MorphOS development " monthly article or something. About BBRV its OK, but BBRV isnt a programmer of MorphOS team, and I think that this is better for one of them (knowing better the MorphOS thingies and others...). But personally I think that they shut up-ed because they want to do, and then not has possibility for being "copied", and then release the "surprise edition" aka MorphOS 1.5 ...

What do you think I am planning to do with the "Pegasos Computing" magazine? ;-) I want the Official MorphOS Team and the Pegasos Team to contribute a small 1/2 page column each for the magazine on what is the current state of affairs, etc. This I will have to discuss with both parties...

People will appreciate a bi-monthly (if I can, monthly) column very much - I know I will. :-D Also, this isn't going to be a little newsletter I am planning on doing... ;-)
  • »27.10.04 - 08:04
    @James@James

Interesting... Lets see if they will collabore or not, did you asked to MorphOS team?
  • »27.10.04 - 08:12
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Would YOU work on this every day for NO PAY? Would you want to write logs of what you do everyday to the userbase?

magnetic

Well, this isn't the 1980s-early 1990s any more. People want to know what the state of something is, because of the Information Age we all now live in. Programmers don't program in little dark dungeons anymore, while being fed through a window on a door when it is time to eat. :lol: Everything in the programming world now is a team effort, and being a team, they need to communicate within themselves and outside of themselves.

If the Official MorphOS Team is not being paid for their work, then maybe Genesi should consider doing the right thing and paying these hard-working people for their work on MorphOS. Sounds like a good idea to me... :-) People need to feel that their creation is worth something, and that is just basic human behaviour.

Also, instead of giving MorphOS away for free, I think Genesi should start charging a nominal fee for it. This way that money can be funnelled toward the MorphOS Team for development funding. I would gladly pay a small fee to fund the team's efforts. $49.95 US is not unreasonable to ask for I think.

Heck, want to know how serious I am regarding MorphOS? How does this sound? I would like to set up a fund for donations on my website to send money to the Official MorphOS Team on a regular basis. :-) I am donating the first $50 US. Is this a good idea? I would keep a record of all donations made and names/companies published on the page I would set up for it, if you want your name/company public at all. If not, that is ok too.
  • »27.10.04 - 08:17
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

timofonic wrote:
    @James

Interesting... Lets see if they will collabore or not, did you asked to MorphOS team?

Not yet, but I plan on doing it real soon. ;-)
  • »27.10.04 - 08:27
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @James: better ask them before announcing it here... you may had bad surprises...

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »27.10.04 - 20:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Leo wrote:
    @James: better ask them before announcing it here... you may had bad surprises...

Leo.

Hello Leo,

I haven't announced anything yet anywhere - just random thoughts I have about the magazine - that's all. :-) It would be nice to enlist their support on my idea, but if they don't want to that is fine with me. C'est la vie! :-)
  • »27.10.04 - 20:38
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    smithy
    Hello all.

I've seen lots of threads here complaining that the MOS team doesn't provide enough feedback on what they're up to. But I think people are being a bit over-anxious. We got that communique in July (was it July?), telling us that the next version of MOS would be more than a 1.5 update. That's still the current status, and I don't think we need an update every week saying "everything's ok".

I've also noticed that the MOS team communicate in mysterious ways, and not always overt press releases. For example, since OS4 with Altivec support was released, and they were on course to overtake us in RC5, the MOS team and bPlan have responded by restarting their crunching efforts.

I think it's little things like this that we should listen to. I think it's a nice gesture that says a lot - they've obviously listened and recognised our concerns about being overtaken in RC5 and have responded accordingly.

I still think our efforts should be focused more towards new applications than MOS1.5 (or whatever it'll be called).

@James
    The idea of a fund/paying for MOS development has been mentioned before, but the same people go on to suggest amounts of money that won't be any use. For example, $50 might pay a systems programmer for less than half a day...

[ Edited by smithy on 2004/10/28 9:29 ]
  • »28.10.04 - 09:28
    Robin
    Thanks smithy :-)

You are right. We all know (I hope) that things are moving.
    I'm in love with my Pegasos and MorphOS since I got it.
    And I know it would not be here without the great work
    of Genesi (all parts of it) that was done and that still is
    done.

Just sometimes when friends ask things like
    "And ? How is printing now, after you said in february that it
    will work in next OS update" you have to find a way to
    "express" your feelings ;-)

I apollogize to the MOS-Crew if my previous posts crossed the line.
  • »28.10.04 - 09:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    err...

I dont think BBRV have time to write updates about MOS and I'm sure the MOS team want to control these kinds of statements themselves.

BBRV are busy keeping the Pegasos platform alive and trying to make business deals.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »28.10.04 - 17:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Well done, MorphDelf.

You have succeeded in alienating the team even more.

PLEASE less of these posts. You will NOT get MorphOS 1.5 by whining about it.

Neko
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »28.10.04 - 23:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

You have succeeded in alienating the team even more.

PLEASE less of these posts. You will NOT get MorphOS 1.5 by whining about it.

Neko

I wish the posts asking for a port of Octamed got this kind of response.. perhaps not the whining part of of but at least this level of interest.

So far it looks like less than 10 people are interested in OctaMED for morphos, quite disappointing to me. Surely there are more than this?

[ Edited by Darth_X on 2004/10/28 18:51 ]
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »29.10.04 - 02:49