MorphOS v1.5 - How many of you wants it out now?
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    @magnetic

About 8.:
    This is nice for you and others who have a MiamiDX license key. I don't have one (i'm not an old amiga but a new pegasos user) and i am not the only one i guess.
    So Miami isn't really an argument here. I think a native TCP/IP stack is a must!

However, i don't think that threads like this are very helpful.
  • »25.10.04 - 20:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi All, I talked to one of the MOS developers on IRC the other day. 1.5 is still being worked on. The fact is it isn't done yet. Many new features may have been shown, but it's just not completed yet. I am sure it will be out when it is done, and that means properly tested as well as finished.

I also talked to Ralph Schmidt - one of the lead developers if not THE lead developer and he said he doesn't comment on unreleased products. Fair enough. That is his call.

So there you have it. MorphOS 1.5 (or whatever you want to call it) is being actively developed, but it just ISN'T DONE yet. I would rather have a full update that is bug free then a patchwork of fixes...

So we just have to be a bit more patient. I certainly feel for those people who are newer users that don't have a Miami key, but the demo version will work for 30 minutes at a time.

I for one think the wait will be worth it, and I have every confidence in the MOS development team to deliver a solid product.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »25.10.04 - 21:16
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Does this mean we are in need of "When it's done (tm)"-smiley?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »26.10.04 - 05:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    @HammerD

I have no problem with being patient. But please don't tell me about 30 minute demos, this is ridiculous (sorry, don't want to be unkind).
  • »26.10.04 - 08:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @Robin

Find an image of somebody working on his computer while 10 people are throwing stones.

[ Edited by Henes on 2004/10/26 13:09 ]
  • »26.10.04 - 12:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Do you really think the ppl asking for a little more
    background of whats going on are doing this to keep you
    from working ?

Sure, you say informations are out there. Get them ...
    But not everyone can go through all related websites,
    mailinglists and private homepages to find the stuff
    that you think is common knowledge.

Next weekend I will take part on the amiga-meeting here
    in germany and hope to finally see myself what is kept so
    secretly by the MOS-Crew.

I see the current situation more like this ...
    nocomp.gif
    (Sorry, I've not found a guide for Whirlgif to enable transparency)

What is so hard to have a blog-like system where one
    ore more members of the MOS-Crew drop lines like:

"Today, I was lazy. I only recoded ide.device from scratch to
    fully support DVD's."

"Today I tried the whole day to explain tokai the sexual meaning
    of a dancing banana ..."

A few lines once a week, or even once a month.

For all bug reports since early this year the statement:
    "Fixed in MOS 1.5" surely makes me happy, but if there was
    a deeper insight to the whats left to do, or where problems are
    could keep at least me a little more patient.

I dont want a date. But I want just a little light at the end of the horizon...

And perhaps with a little more communincation, I could
    hail.gif to the MOS-Crew more easily.
  • »26.10.04 - 13:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    @Robin

Find an image of somebody working on his computer while 10 people are throwing stones.

[ Edited by Henes on 2004/10/26 13:09 ]

Hmm, sounds like everyone would benefit from a little "service pack exhaust vent" to release some preassure. Perhaps there would be an easy way of releasing the OS components necessary to achieve AmiTCP and Altivec, as well as a few of the bugfixes that has been reported in since September 2003 that was replied "this is a known bug and has already been taken care of" on the mailing lists since then?

Just a little "something". Or a little info. It could silence the masses and stone throwing for some months at least.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.10.04 - 14:25
    hooligan
    Let's put it this way. This is for you who are whining for news.

If there would be a progressreport released every day, would it make MOS 1.5 to appear sooner?

No.

If there would be a progressreport released once a week, would it make MOS 1.5 to appear sooner?

No.

If there would be a progressreport released once a month, would it make MOS 1.5 to appear sooner?

No.

If there would be a progressreport released once a year, would it make MOS 1.5 to appear sooner?

No.

Get the point?

By the way, why do you think you even are _entitled_ to updates or progressreports? Did someone promised one? Did you pay for your MorphOS? At least I wasn't promised anything, and also I didn't pay for my copy of MorphOS.

Let's just sit the fuck down and wait till it's released, ok?

[ Edited by hooligan on 2004/10/26 16:44 ]
  • »26.10.04 - 14:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

By the way, why do you think you even are _entitled_ to updates or progressreports? Did someone promised one? Did you pay for your MorphOS? At least I wasn't promised anything, and also I didn't pay for my copy of MorphOS.

I have not paid explicitly for MorphOS, but MorphOS came bundled with the hardware I paid for, and I paid for that hardware since I wanted to get my hands on MorphOS. "Entitled" or not, I think it would be a very nice gesture to us long time MorphOS supporters to at least know what's happening once in a while. It won't necessarily have to be weekly progress reports or some "Ask Ralph" shit á la amigaworld.net, but at least some signs of life and some words about ambitions, current work, etc on more frequently basis than 6 months or yearly. If they manage to get MorphOS *feel* dead enough, it will die for real, like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It won't take much at all to prevent that though, in fact, it would be really easy.

/takemehomegrandma, a MorphOS supporter. Still.

(Hmm, the morphzone engine translates "sh!t" to "flowers" :-o. Didn't know that! :-))

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2004/10/26 16:15 ]

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2004/10/26 16:17 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.10.04 - 15:13
    Robin
    I dont want to start a discussion about what I'm
    entitled to. I dont want to sell my pegasos.
    And yes I think MOS 1.4.2 is a good and stable OS.

It's not me who have to repeats every 2-3 month that it's
    done when it's done ... I request nothing. Like you
    said I've not bought the MOS-Crew when I bought the
    Pegasos INCLUDING MorphOS. All I try to show there
    is a way to keep the dam n stonethrowing users happy
    and still take the time to build the OS.

[ Edited by Robin on 2004/10/26 16:44 ]
  • »26.10.04 - 15:40
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @TMHG

I find it more interesting to wait and then one day finally be happy that I have MorphOS 1.5, and spend a couple of days examining what goodies it has to offer.
    Some people seems to be like children waiting for christmas.. wanting to know presents beforehand. Now wheres the fun in that? :)
  • »26.10.04 - 15:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

psd wrote:
    @HammerD

I have no problem with being patient. But please don't tell me about 30 minute demos, this is ridiculous (sorry, don't want to be unkind).

Hey, no problem. The fact that the author of Miami has turned away from his product isn't the fault of the MorphOS developers. It's really a shame, since Miami is a very nice TCP/IP stack.

TCP/IP has been shown to be included in MorphOS 1.5, so you will just have to wait until then. Or see if you can buy a key from someone for Miami, or try another TCP/IP stack.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »26.10.04 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
    Robin
    the good thing with christmas: it's once every year ...
    (Ok, I'm quiet now ;-) have to prepare my livingroom for
    a new wallpaper)
  • »26.10.04 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    It is a fact, that there was no update at the official source www.morphos.net since more than one year! They still write about Morphos 1.4, nothing about a developement of 1.5! It is a fact, too, that the "old" page of the developer team at www.morphos.org had a change only a short time after all Morphos-sites changed to the old look. At www.morphos.org you can read with dat Sept. 13th 2004 "More news to come" (or something like that). That is the only official sign of live of the developement-team beide demonstration on several shows. That is absolutely unsatisfying. Minimum would be to say *official* "there is a new version in developement, it has this or that features, that is missing, and that's why they need some time. This would be safety for developers, too! Nobody knows about the "surprise features", that is a handicap for current developement. Many things are missing which could be done by hobby programmers, (like an ambient replacement, there are beginnings in that directions), but maybe the next version of Ambient will have the most necessary features to make a replacement obsolete. Or OpenGL? Is it in development, or should alternatives be improved? TCP/IP: The Aros team is working on a new solution, should a Morphos team join them an port it, or will there really come a usable TCP-stack?
  • »26.10.04 - 17:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    <sigh>

I want MOS updated as much as everyone else. You guys should consider yourselves lucky at least your pegasos works! I've been without one since summer. I sent mine to Bplan and havent heard back for a couple of months..

Anyway, nothing pisses off programmers more than users whining about this or that constantly. They also dont like writing docs or posting blogs about "what they are doing"

From knowing these guys through the net... laire,henes,CISC,Bigfoot,Kiero, Piru, etc... they are a bunch of very talented coders and LOVE Morphos. They are actively working on it but you all have to understand the time and life commitment involved.

Would YOU work on this every day for NO PAY? Would you want to write logs of what you do everyday to the userbase?

I DO agree that updates/news from the MOS team would be nice but I DO understand why its not being done.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »26.10.04 - 17:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @DrZarkov,

>Minimum would be to say *official* "there is a new version in developement"
    http://www.morphos-news.de/index.php?lg=en&nid=812&si=1 <- 25 jully 2004

>Many things are missing which could be done by hobby programmers
    They can ask what needs to be done (and some really do it, many thanks to these motivated and friendly programmers).

>Or OpenGL? Is it in development
    tinygl.library 176580 ----rw-d 08-Août-03 23:57:22 <- already in MorphOS1.4 and done by a motivated and friendly programmer, many thanks to him

etc
  • »26.10.04 - 17:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    @Henes

Just look at the dates you've mentioned, that explains everything.

TinyGl in a version from august 2003, is this the last word about OpenGL?
  • »26.10.04 - 18:01
    Profile Visit Website
    @Henes

TinyGL is nice, but isnt a full OpenGL implementation, only a reduced set...
  • »26.10.04 - 18:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @DrZarkov

No, that's not the last word.
    That also applies to all other MorphOS components and so to MorphOS itself, as explained in the URL I pointed.

@timofonic

And ? It already runs a waste amount of GL apps and runs more every day. That is what we want, isn't it ?

BTW, even if it implements OpenGL4.0 API one day, there will still be a tinygl.library for compatibility reason.
    The "tiny" name isn't really accurate but that's the way it is.
  • »26.10.04 - 18:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Henes

Thanks for participating on this thread. I was wondering if anyone from MOS team would post.

Have you guys considered making MOS upgrade a commercial product? Lets say we have 500+ active MOS users. If they purchase next major release of MOS for say $29 eu that would at least provide some funding/compensation for the team.. what do you think?

magnetic

Also, the tinygl implementation is nice, but as stated is not a full OpenGl. Does tinygl work with the Radeon3d drivers that Frank created? We really need to move away from Voodoo..
  • »26.10.04 - 18:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    @ HammerD:
    As mentioned before, i am patient, no problem. ;)

But when i bought my peg, it was advertised as an g4 ppc with 100mbit and gigabit interface (and a lot more), coming along with MorphOS 1.4. No word about missing TCP/IP and the version number suggested a stable and complete OS. Complete means for me TCP/IP inside (and a lot more).
    Ok, i looked around before buying and knew what i was doing (and there's no regret), but you can't expect this from most customers.

Sure, MOS devs are not responsible for reseller's marketing. But the whole situation is somewhat awkward and a very very little bit of communication would help a lot.
  • »26.10.04 - 19:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    HI

There is 'patch' for miamidx. Pm me for info

magnetic
  • »26.10.04 - 20:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Ok: so it seems mos-team doesn't want to keep users happy (why would they do that ?), doesn't want to keep (normal) developers motivated (why would they do that ?). Fine. But I think they miss the point.

Leo.

PS: I really don't understand why every other OS project (be it Haiku, SkyOS,...) seem to care so much about keeping their community informed about what's going on. Maybe they are all wrong ? Maybe this is only a waste of time ?

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/10/26 20:13 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »26.10.04 - 21:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Leo

They DO care about the users and especially the developers. Its just they are pretty stretched themselves and dont have a lot of time I guess.

magnetic
  • »26.10.04 - 21:16
    Profile Visit Website