Gorky 17 - OS3 Version
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the new OS3 version of Gorky 17 just to see if it would run under MorphOS.

The installation script breaks under MorphOS but the game boots but appears unable to properly "open" a screen. It draws a screen but then crashes with the menu music continuing to play.

The message that appears on the Server Log at the moment is;

Instruction at Address 0x1f2136a4 in <Work:Gorky17/Gorky17> Hunk 2 Offset 0x42aa4

If you use software rendering this changes again.

I presume it is something to do with the graphics drivers but I don't know if this is something fixable in future MorphOS releases.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »07.07.24 - 09:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    You can read some comments of the developer about an WarpOS port
    Steffen Häuser
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »08.07.24 - 07:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Definitely looks positive as a WarpOS port should do the business.
  • »09.07.24 - 09:20
    eliot
    No, I don't understand why a WarpOs version should help to fix the issues.
    The 68k should really work on Mos without any drawbacks.
    I already asked Stefan if I can do a Mos native version which should not be to hard,
    because he already has a 68k version with ahi and rtg support.

He rejected my request (because of any license problems) ...
    regards
    eliot
  • »09.07.24 - 11:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    No, I don't understand why a WarpOs version should help to fix the issues.
    The 68k should really work on Mos without any drawbacks.
    I already asked Stefan if I can do a Mos native version which should not be to hard,
    because he already has a 68k version with ahi and rtg support.

He rejected my request (because of any license problems) ...

Really? This is such an old game I cant imagine anyone including the owners of the IP not wanting new revenue from it!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »09.07.24 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I already asked Stefan if I can do a Mos native version […].
    >> He rejected my request (because of any license problems)

> Really?

Yes, supposedly Hyperion's license agreement is restricted to operating systems named "AmigaOS", which would allow for ports to OS3 (m68k and PPC/WarpUP) and OS4, but not to MorphOS.

> This is such an old game I cant imagine anyone including
    > the owners of the IP not wanting new revenue from it!

I doubt the licensor will get any revenue from it, or got any from Hyperion's previous Linux, Mac and OS4 ports of the game. Hyperion has usually negotiated lump sum game licenses in the past.
  • »09.07.24 - 19:16
  • Just looking around
    Hi!

I thought it might be best if I reply directly.

- Licence does not allow a MorphOS port (in which I do not have any interest anyways)
    - I actively work on a WarpOS version which should run on Sonnet cards, Classic 3.x system with PPC Card and MorphOS systems and if this succeeds will be tested on those three

As to the problems with the 68k version of the game running under MorphOS, some questions from me.

- Is it possible this was due to the movie player ? Gorky17 uses an external 68k-ASM written movieplayer (Riva). This movie player is launched "first thing" after the game starts. If it is just the movieplayer you could try renaming the movieplayer ("rename RivaG17 RivaG17b" or whatever). Then the game skips movieplaying. Note that if it IS the movieplayer which is the problem G17 supports using a different movieplayer. You might be able to check if it is the movie player by trying the movieplayer directly (RivaG17 avi/intro.avi). Please note this is not really a AVI, I was just lazy to rename the fileending in the source code. It really is a MPEG1 named .avi.

For example to replace riva with Frogger you could write into the file env:g17/g17_extplayer the following

c:frogger.040 FULLSCREEN %s

Riva is used by default as for the intended target (PiStorm and Vampire systems) Riva runs much better than any other movieplayer.

So if the problem is just the video player this would be easily fixed (this is listed in the readme BTW how to exchange the movieplayer)

- If it is not the video player could it be stack related (no idea if MorphOS has stack issues or not), if it could be try raising the stack (though the icon for Gorky17 actually has enough stack set)

- As to the Video Refresh I do the following:

* Use CybergraphX LockBitmap to get LBMI_BASEADDRESS and LBMI_BYTESPERROW
    * Graphics Data is then copied into the video RAM directly, and at the end UnLockBitMap is called
    * Graphics format of the screen is found out using GetCyberMapAttr, all 16 Bit, 24 Bit and 32 Bit formats are supported. 15 Bit Format is not supported.

It is all really pretty standard CybergraphX stuff.

- You can also use Window Mode by editing settings.ini (is generated after the game was started first time) and replace fullscreen=1 with fullscreen=0

MagicSN
    tirionareonwe@gmail.com
  • »11.07.24 - 10:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Hi Steffen

I've just replied to your email to me, but I will also comment on this here.

i. I don't believe it is to do with the video player as I have used the command to disable this and run into the same issue.

ii. Also the game crashes/freezes at exactly the same point when in both fullscreen and windowed mode, although the menu music keeps on playing.

Sorry I cannot be of much more help but I do really think this isn't anything major but just some small difference in the graphics implementation on the MorphOS side.

While I appreciate there cannot be a MorphOS version for licensing reasons, hopefully the WarpOS version might be the fix we need.

Zetec-S
  • »11.07.24 - 17:09
  • Just looking around
    Does the server log give any additional info ? Something like a stack trace (even if no source-code lines but just addresses/offsets are listed) ? Or does it only list the location of the crash itselves ?

And yes, it is possible that there is a small difference in graphics implementation though I really do pretty standard stuff here. It is also possible it is not the graphics output but something like reaction to mouse or whatever. Or even an effect of the 68k Emulation (though this is probably more doubtful).

It will also be interesting if this will happen with the WarpOS port (once this is done) too or not. But I am pretty sure eventually I will work it out. And while I won't do a MorphOS version I will try to fix this issue.

Another question - Zetec-S mentioned the installer script command copyfiles would not work on MorphOS. What could I use instead? It is stuff like

(copyfiles(source "G17Ami:Locals/Gorky17.info")(help "")(dest #dest-dir)(all))

which appearently causes the problem (I use stuff like this all the time, Zetec-S fixed that by copying the needed files manually).
  • »11.07.24 - 18:26
    polluks
    @Zetec-s
    You may also try InstallerLG, it's more compatible.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »11.07.24 - 22:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > WarpOS version […] should run on Sonnet cards

If it will run on Sonnet Crescendo 7200 cards, I guess it will run on all the other non-Sonnet cards supported by SonnetLibrary (PowerPMC-250, PrPMC8xx, KillerNIC) as well, as long as there's enough RAM, right? :-)
  • »11.07.24 - 23:26
  • Just looking around
    @Andreas_Wolf: Yes, I meant Sonnet card more like a general term for PCI PPC Card. I do not know which cards in question are supported and which not (but I know people who have such cards for testing, including the guy who created WarpOS for Sonnet PCI).

And yes, around 180 MB free when starting the game is needed (it might work with a bit lower, but no guarantees).

@polluks: Thanks for the hint. Zetec, maybe you can test this, if this fixes the issue ? The big issue is of course still the "graphics issue" if I may call it so for now. But as I said I think eventually I will find this out.
  • »12.07.24 - 08:42
  • Just looking around
    With the help of Zetec-s I could already have a lead on the crash.

If the data from the stacktrace can be trusted (I sent Zetec-s my latest executable to ensure there was no last-minute change changing the indicated location of crash) then what crashed was the function gettimeofday.

Basically this:

static struct timeval tv;

gettimeofday(&tv, NULL);

caused the crash. The crash was illegal instruction (possibly 68k Emu issue with the linkerlib used ?)

If this is a problem and still appears in the WarpOS version I could of course change this code into using GetSysTimePPC from powerpc.library on the WarpOS version (once this is running) to avoid the problem (I am just using it to get the amount of microseconds passed...).
  • »12.07.24 - 13:49