Where the @#*%#) is MORPHOS 2.0?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    neongod
    Agree. Lack of software is the largest problem.

I think people miss the feeling that something is "happening" around the platform. Activity is missing. (The red team has much better activity though).

Regular (smaller) OS updates, new software, some activity would make me happy.

Almost all MorphOS software developers are working for the MOSTeam today and busy with 2.0. So there are almost no new software coming out since years now..

I`m waiting for 2.0 because I hope that some developer resources will be freed and some new software will come after the new OS released.
    I`m sure also are software that is pending till 2.0, as they depend largely on new features.

[ Edited by neongod on 2008/1/1 20:54 ]
  • »01.01.08 - 19:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    The only reason for me to won an Efika *IS* morphos. And now they have stopped selling them... What will happen when (and *IF*!) MOS2.0 is out? There won't be anything available to buy that runs on it?

I bet it will be pushed back again to run on Efika 2.
  • »02.01.08 - 12:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Thank god, i didn't buy an efika.

For several years, the policy is frustrating:

- OS updates seem to be very close, very near .. but they are never available to the users.
    Nevertheless, the number of the OS increases ..

- Hardware is promoted with OS-updates and better OF "ahead".
    Once the hardware is sold out, there's no update.

- All the boards discuss about the "busy developers".
    I, beeing a SW-developer,too, wonder:
    In my company, you get real trouble, if you'd develop like the team does.
    Is there really any developer working on the MorphOS ?
    What does he do ?
    What takes that long ?

- The last source of frustration and the cause of the slow progress is the very closed nature
    of OF and MorphOS. There are enough geeks with big brains out, that could fix most of the bugs
    on their own ... but you cannot do without opensource .. thus linux gets the manpower .. for free.
  • »02.01.08 - 14:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

The only reason for me to won an Efika *IS* morphos. And now they have stopped selling them... What will happen when (and *IF*!) MOS2.0 is out? There won't be anything available to buy that runs on it?

I bet it will be pushed back again to run on Efika 2.

BBRV just posted on another thread here that there will be a new batch of Efika1 once MOS 2.0 is released.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=2&topic_id=5549&sortname=&sortorder=&sortdays=&viewmode=flat&order=0&start=20

Quote:

What does he do ?
    What takes that long ?

MorphOS became a hobby project, the team works for free without proper management. That makes it very different.
    And yes, they are still working to make it real as soon as possible.

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2008/1/2 20:19 ]
  • »02.01.08 - 19:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

I wonder where were you in the days of Thendic's bankrupcy. Since those days MorphOS is developed on hobby basis during our free time.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

What does he do ?

He does what developers do, I guess :)

Quote:

What takes that long ?

Real work, life.

Quote:

The last source of frustration and the cause of the slow progress is the very closed nature of OF and MorphOS.

As for the OF - that's bPlan's job and MorphZone is the wrong place to whine about it.

As for MorphOS - is it really that closed? The SDKs are available and the team members on the #morphos channel are usually willing to help.
  • »02.01.08 - 19:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    If they're working in spare time, the following questions arise:

- Why is the plattform so fixed to genesi/bplan products ? Why is there no attempt to support more plattforms .. like PPC Macs or even Amiga-boards ?
    As MorphOS is so bound to HW-boards of a certain brand, problems if OF affect the usability of MorphOs, too.

- Why don't they share their hobby with others, by defining todo's which everyone could take part ?
    Please face the reality of your users: Most of them are closer to developers then users ... and it has to be that way, just because MorphOS isn't that easy for newbies and the available applications are just nostalgic.

Just one example of user's pain:
    After a powercut, my Peg2's fail to boot because of OF .. and they fail to reboot because of the missing reboot-function in MorphOS.
    Some years ago, some guy designed a microcontroler to work around this... and the other user's laughed at him, because the "updates where close" ... 3 years later, I think about building the microcontroler, too ...
  • »02.01.08 - 22:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    At least MorphOS is not a monolithic kernel like Linux where you *must* have full source to add any *new* feature.
    As some skilled (and motivated) hackers proved it. I think about Martin Blom's Soundblaster driver, Sonic's trackdisk.device and many others...

And this is just to speak about really low level stuff...
    For everything else, in most (all ?) cases, it's completly unrelated to the kernel being opensource or not...

I believe the problem is just there is close to no left programmers (or at least not enough to please everybody).
    Look at YAM and SimpleMail f.e... both open source, both using the holy GPL (I know this is important for some people, compared to APL, MIT, etc) and both have only two active programmers...

As for MorphOS, ColdReboot() and C:Reboot both are working for 4 or 5 years on Pegasos hardware. So, what do you mean? ;-)
  • »02.01.08 - 22:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Sorry, I mixed reboot with shutdown(incl. poweroff.)
  • »03.01.08 - 08:59
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I have it right here. And I can say that using MorphOS 2 is simply fantastic. Too bad you guys can't use it also.

Oh, but I should mention that I've been informed that MorphOS is undergoing changes and isn't expected to be released until sometime in 2009. Yes, 2009, not to be confused with 2008.:-) So you'll all have to wait for it then. What is another year after all. Also, the release may become 3.0 but that is still undecided.

Ok, I was just joking. Just a joke folks; I couldn't resist. Now onto the serious stuff.

For those with Efikas. It is too bad but someone dropped the ball because Efika support should have been added to MorphOS 1.4.5 ( & released, either as 1.4.6 or 1.5 ) so you guys wouldn't be stuck waiting & hoping to run MorphOS someday.

Hobby OSes are done by volunteers on their spare time. So, a release date can not be set when 2.0 will come out. This goes for all hobby OSes.

That said, there should be some information given as to the status by developer spokesperson. For instance, the OS is 95% complete so far or we still have this, this & this to do or monthly update saying "it won't be released in Dec", "not to be released in Jan", etc. Some kind of information because leaving users in the complete dark is not fun at all. I'm sure that many like to know what is going on.

I too thought they'd release 2.0 for Christmas. Especially since it was shown back in July 2007.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18210/MorphOS-2.0-Screenshots
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18270/MorphOS-2.0-on-EFIKA-Presentation-at-SceneCON

Seeing those stories gave the impression that it was nearing completion but was the wrong assumption to make.

For those with Efika boards I can understand the frustration you're feeling by buying the hardware but not being able to run this OS which is unfair. Unfortunately, this is how life is - not everything works out perfectly. For everyone else, you have 1.4.5 to play with so be happy with that for now. And I'm sure 2.0 will be released in the coming months.

I hope some kind of information will be released by the developers on a monthly basis to keep the users in the loop too as to the progress.

PS For those with Efikas, you can always try out Linux for now until 2.0 is released. See here:
    http://www.pegasosppc.com/software.php
  • »04.01.08 - 17:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Well ,
    The first thread I started on this was quite interesting. I didnt respond then because I didnt want to say things that wouldnt be good later ( hello paul :) )

The good thing was many mos team members responded (even the angry chicken) and it even spawned a weird mirror thread on aw.net.

Following this was the cool news of MOS on mac mini.

Well, its been almost 2 months now, so where the #&*@(@* is MOS 2.0?

Can we get an estimated release date or what? How about a partial feature set?

Yeah, call me a "moron" or whatever but i'm not just speaking for me I'm speaking for the COMMUNITY.

magnetic

ps. The "2 more weeks" bs was funny at one time but is no longer. It may be funny to devs its very un funny to the users.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »02.03.08 - 01:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    What we need is new hardware for MorphOs...

When using latest Ambient and Mui4 its really a joy to use the system, eveything is how i want it (and no need for dopus magellan anymore) ;)

The videos from Mos2 looks even better, I wish so much it will get released this year (please....)

I know so many people, who also have money, that would like this system home.. So fast and easy it hurts....Still people who see my system first time are really interested how to get it... And I can only say: Get an expensive second hand machine...

Morphos rocks so much it need to get more users! And it will if hardware and os is availible again..

[ Edited by kriz on 2008/3/2 10:19 ]
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »02.03.08 - 09:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:

Yeah, call me a "moron" or whatever but i'm not just speaking for me I'm speaking for the COMMUNITY.

magnetic

You are fully right and finding the words that i would use.

Yeah, some would call these people a morron,
    as they really dont need mos2.0, its the missing apps they complain.
    Yeah, missing apps, we really dont need altivec, fixed leap date, resident ram disk, 64bit dos api, early startup and lots of others.
    Really not.
  • »02.03.08 - 11:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    @dIGIMAN

I agree! But we need new hardware, to get more and new users on the ship :)
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »02.03.08 - 11:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Otti
    @magnetic

I agree too!

It is urgently time for a progress!!!
  • »02.03.08 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    I would like to read some real news from the MorphOS-Team, nothing like "two weeks more" or "when it's done" or funny(not) picture without any relevance.
  • »02.03.08 - 15:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Quote:

I would like to read some real news from the MorphOS-Team, nothing like "two weeks more" or "when it's done" or funny(not) picture without any relevance.

Its zero help to stir up trouble by opening another thread like this where ppl have not much left of options than to express disappointment about the still not released MorphOS 2.0. This brings us nowhere really. Hence I answered magnetic with a (IMHO funny) picture (which also leaks a MorphOS 2.0 feature (again), really it does!).

Noone else than the MorphOS team members themself know better that 2.0 needs to be released better yesterday than tomorrow and everyone in the team does its best to get remaining issues resolved as quickly as possible. You really don't want a release like Papyrus where you pay much money and and only get some 30% working software.

I hope I don't leak too much now (else laire or bigfoot will cut my head off ;) ), but in our bugtracker there are still tons of open issues (and new ones get added regulary too)... I don't think all of them can be fixed before the release anymore and many of them will be postboned for a 2.1 update. But at least the really scary and known ones *need* to be fixed before the MorphOS Team can get a copy of MorphOS 2.0 out to the users who want to buy it. And usually bugs don't resolve magically on its own (only sometimes they do... which can be scary).

Anyway... there were quite recent presentations (aka news and information) by team members in Germany (by Geit, afaik you even had the chance to try it out yourself there) and France (by Fab1) with coverage on miscellaneous websites, even screenshots. I don't know how more news we can get out there (these presentations actually 'leaked' more than I personally wished f.ex.).

As some ppl in this thread already pointed out the real issue is not the not yet released OS update, but the missing 'big' Applications... MorphOS 2.0 will be no magic spell that fixes these issues, u know. All the important apps I use these days daily under MorphOS 2.0 I also used under MorphOS 1.4.x already.. so nothing changed for me really. Sure there are tons improvements which will make your life more comfortable (and are worth waiting for), but nothing which one really needs to make use of the system. If MorphOS 1.4.x and the apps you can install on it are not enough for your important needs then this will not fundamentally change with 2.0 either... After the first phase of trying out new things in the OS is over and you end up in daily routine again you'll understand this.

I hope noone will get offended by my open words. Please stay a bit more patience. We are almost there... or '2 more weeks' like we prefer to say (if you notice for 1.5-2 weeks noone of the Team Members used this slogan then you can calculate the release date ;) ).

with best regards,
    tokai

(if you find a typo you can keep it :) )
  • »02.03.08 - 17:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Charvel
    Hmm, who would actually want to run an unfinished OS with tons of bugs?
    Better to wait for them to get it done.
    For me 1.4.5 works very well both on Pegasos 1 and Amiga 1200.
    But as you say. There are many programs I want to see on MorphOS in the future.

Better Webbrowser, sputnik works fine but its still a beta and cannot handle all sites.
    vlc and a better msnclient
    Openoffice port
    etc etc....
  • »02.03.08 - 18:15
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    I agree. Morphos with Pagestream and B&P works mostly fine for me but have still too many freezing moments. 2.0 will be nice to show to non-Pegasos-users to impress them, but really usefull Apps is far more important.....

Regards Tom
    (But I'm also very curieus what 2.o will bring us)
  • »02.03.08 - 18:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    To be honest. For me, the endless discussions about the urgency of a MorphOS 2.0 release are more disturbing than MorphOS 2.0 not yet being released.
  • »02.03.08 - 19:55
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Nice reply 2k
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »02.03.08 - 22:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    I wait in silence :-D

Silence! I kill you!

X
  • »03.03.08 - 19:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    SILENCE! AYE KEEEEL YOU! :D
  • »03.03.08 - 19:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Is Walter here? He has GAS!!! :D
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »03.03.08 - 20:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

so nothing changed for me really

Efika owners have a serious reason to be impatient :)
    there's no 1.4 or anything else for them in the meanwhile.
    that's why a beta for efika would have been enjoyable.
  • »04.03.08 - 09:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    tokai

Well that was a rather interesting reply. Thanks for putting the time in. I see your point. HOWEVER there are many many things about MOS 2.0 that we want in order to use it as an everyday os. Things like better gfx drivers, Altivec support, GigE, native TCP stack, ETC. Once Sputnik reaches a mature state it can be practical to use MOS 2 as a main os.

To the other MOS team:

You see a lot of users coming out of the woodwork here to voice an opinion. Why not shock everyone and actually show a Feature Set or Tentative Release Date?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »05.03.08 - 09:42
    Profile Visit Website