Easy2Compile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello,

after Easy2Install, i start a new project named Easy2Compile with Hollywood.

Like i'm a newbie, i need your needs (if you have) to improve my GUI.

This is a first snapshot:

Easy2Compile.png

Compile button has this syntaxe: gg:bin/gcc -noixemul -Wall -o ram:outputexe sourcefile

Execute button launch ram:outputexe

If you edit the script with FlowStudio, you can refresh the source code showed in the window by a double click on the source file on the lister.

I can of course add a pref for destination, options, multiselection, etc...

What do you think about that?

I wait your returns.
  • »12.12.23 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You can compile things directly in Flow Studio. See Workspace (menu) > New Project.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 13.12.2023 - 02:58 ]
  • »13.12.23 - 02:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Thanks jacadcaps for the info, i have investigate but seems dedicated to create "big" projects.

Seems not easy to just compile a small source code via FlowStudio, i must create a dedicated project, create a dedicated make file for each small source code file (examples of Krashan).

The goal of Easy2Compile is see quickly the result of small project or examples of source code in 3 operations: drag, compile, execute.
  • »13.12.23 - 07:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello,

after Easy2Install, i start a new project named Easy2Compile with Hollywood.

Like i'm a newbie, i need your needs (if you have) to improve my GUI.

This is a first snapshot:

Easy2Compile.png

Compile button has this syntaxe: gg:bin/gcc -noixemul -Wall -o ram:outputexe sourcefile

Execute button launch ram:outputexe

If you edit the script with FlowStudio, you can refresh the source code showed in the window by a double click on the source file on the lister.

I can of course add a pref for destination, options, multiselection, etc...

What do you think about that?

I wait your returns.

The best way to learn programming is simply to write a very simple program to learn things. The target of the program must be easy enough to implement for not being stuck with some totally out of reach goal.

The usual first program anyone write is the famous 'hello world' followed by the 'guess my number' that introduces conditional logic.

Before diving into the intrinsics of MorphOS, I would first take a serious course with ANSI C. There is a lot of paper books available on the subject and preferably in french, your native language.

Those books are perfect to take a tour deep enough in the C language without focusing too much on the platform API (ie: the specific libraries of the operating system).

You can also get some book named like 'Exercices en C'. Those are valuable as well. They don't cover the language itself but provides directed playground to ... exercice. :)

Once you're fluent enough with the language, you can now dive into more serious things because the language isn't anymore your main problem: you read and understand it without decyphering. It is exactly the same thing as learning a foreign language.

Being fluent with the language frees a bit of your brain to learn new things like how the MorphOS system is working. You can hardly do both at the same time: the learning curve is extremly steep imo.

You never drive a 200hp motorbike straight. You first drive a 125cc for a time and then get to a 400cc and finally ride a 1600cc monster. Programming is like mastering motorbike: it is progressive.

Once you're on a 400cc motorbike (ie: you know enough of the C language, you did many exercice book, you know how to tweak a makefile too), then you're ready to dive into the intrinsics of MorphOS (or AmigaOS for instance, the API is mostly 1:1).

Find a simple program to implement like for example:
    - a color wheel that produce html hex representation of the color #AARRGGBB
    - a simple RPN calculator doing the basic math operations

Ha. We have a new problem. Algorithmics.

If words like linked list, graph, stack, FIFO, LIFO, tree, binary tree, whatever tree, hash, array sound alien, then you also need to learn algorithmics.

Algorithmics isn't specific to a programming language. They are just way of doing things efficiently.

You also need to learn algorithmics because this can help you solve *problems* whatever the language you're using.

The first book in french that comes to my mind is 'Initiation à l'algorithmique'. About 800 pages in small characters. Hopefully, there is some graphics here and there to make it a bit more enjoyable.

While learning algorithmics isn't a stricly necessary step to get into programming, it is in my opinion still a good idea to get into early because this knowledge will help you write better program right from the start (because, you'll have a better idea on how to store/handle data structures to reach your programming goal).

You will probably not use the most advanced data structures like trees or graph for example for your first projects but for the RPN calculator for example, you'll need to master the 'stack' concept first for implementing it efficiently (and most importantly! - successfully too).

Nobody climbs the everest in thong sandals. Practice with generic book first.

ISBN:

Then, read RKRM (Rom Kernel Reference Manual) to get a somewhat serious ground in AmigaOS API. You'll need that knowledge at some point to make things.

And finish with mastering MUI. User interface is the tip of the iceberg.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »13.12.23 - 08:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Thanks a lot Tcheko for all these advices !!!

I will go buy a 125cc and ride a little ;-)

[EDIT] A new feature for the public release: a double click on the source code will compile it and will execute it in the same process.
  • »13.12.23 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Thanks a lot Tcheko for all these advices !!!

I will go buy a 125cc and ride a little ;-)

[EDIT] A new feature for the public release: a double click on the source code will compile it and will execute it in the same process.

How to make use of the project management of Flow Studio

1. In workspace menu, trigger 'New Project' menu entry
    2. In 'Create New Project' window, give your new pet project a name
    3. Click 'Create...' button
    4. Set a path to save your project in the ASL requester
    5. Switch to Work Space tab on the right column and notice the presence of an entry named against your pet project name
    6. Open the tree by clicking the [+] and notice the presence of multiple entries:
    - Source Files
    - Header Files
    - Resource Files
    - Build Rules
    7. Right click on 'Source Files' and select 'New File...'
    8. Give the ASL a file pointer (the ASL requester should point to your project directory)
    9. Write some code in the new file (Flow should have opened a new edit tab for that file)
    10. Save your edit
    11. Click the hammer button to trigger project building in the toolbar
    12. If no error in 'Build Output' panel, proceed to execution by clicking the 'Play' button in toolbar.

Should bootstrap anyone with building example stuff.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »13.12.23 - 11:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    This is a first beta (need SDK installed and last version of RapaGUI)

Easy2Compile.lha

Info:

- a doubleclick on a source file (.c) compil it and launch the executable from ram:
    - a doubleclick on a Makefile, execute the Makefile (with make)
    - choice of gcc 9, 10 or 11 (thanks BeWorld for suggestion)

There is some sources files provides by Krashan (with some fix by Tcheko).

Thanks Krashan and Tcheko!

Don't hesitate to do returns ;-)
  • »14.12.23 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website