Epub-Reader Forum
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    My weekly News: Epub-0.5

News:

+ A SVG (Salable vector grafic) - Engine is now includet
    + Display of all versions of svg (extern file or embed in the html source)
    + Better recognition of cover images
    + support of more HTML 4.01 Styles
    + Change slider to scrollbar in the mui gui
    + More default styles in the settings window
    + Support of this keys: (shift) cursor up /cursor down
    + The scrollbar is enabled to use with the scrollwheel on the mouse.

The ebooks from Ebookmaps are now
    supported. There are "Maps in ebooks".
    To display these "ebookmaps", i need a support of svg.

I coudn't work on it on this weekend: The myterius "blocks".
    The "absolutly mad" structure of ebookmap-files eat lot of my free time.

The Screenshots of "ebookmaps":
    ebookmaps.jpg
    ebookmaps-1.jpg

[ Edited by pegasos-sigi2 21.09.2014 - 14:18 ]
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »21.09.14 - 16:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:

There is nothing mad about these ebookmap files. They are just normal epub files following the standards.

You really should not try to fix any book, but implement the standard properly and then - once it is working - go for the broken books like "Die Zukunft ist schön!" you brought up earlier, which is a really broken epub file with loads of errors in it. It is a perfekt example on how to not create ebooks.

It even looks like someone edited the files from a template by hand, as there are tons of unused dummy entries and wrong formatted (speaking of xhtml) lines to make the stuff more human readable, which violates the file format.

Do not use those files as template to build code on. You will fail. Use at least some more trusty stuff like wikipedia to get it done.

Geit
  • »21.09.14 - 17:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    1.) If i implement the standart, i can't find any think in the ebookmap-files.
    In the toc.nzx exists only one entry.
    The whole file with the maps, was not listed.
    It exists only in the listening of archive contents.
    If i follow the standart, i found only the cover, not the maps.
    The file is EPUB 2.0 so it must exist a NZX-File with the table of contents.
    Only if a reader have a fall back, and it search in the "content.opf" ( != Standart),
    i find the loosing file.

Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:

There is nothing mad about these ebookmap files. They are just normal epub files following the standards.

You really should not try to fix any book, but implement the standard properly and then - once it is working - go for the broken books like "Die Zukunft ist schön!" you brought up earlier, which is a really broken epub file with loads of errors in it. It is a perfekt example on how to not create ebooks.

It even looks like someone edited the files from a template by hand, as there are tons of unused dummy entries and wrong formatted (speaking of xhtml) lines to make the stuff more human readable, which violates the file format.

Do not use those files as template to build code on. You will fail. Use at least some more trusty stuff like wikipedia to get it done.

Geit
  • »21.09.14 - 19:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Very well! another page (contens) of bartaemius 2 comes to front. On some pages more words (but still some missing).
    Thank you for this nice update :-)
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »21.09.14 - 20:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:
    1.) If i implement the standart, i can't find any think in the ebookmap-files.
    In the toc.nzx exists only one entry.
    The whole file with the maps, was not listed.
    It exists only in the listening of archive contents.
    If i follow the standart, i found only the cover, not the maps.
    The file is EPUB 2.0 so it must exist a NZX-File with the table of contents.
    Only if a reader have a fall back, and it search in the "content.opf" ( != Standart),
    i find the loosing file.

There is only one entry required in nav ncx to be valid. It is ment to "nav"igate, not to properly build books. Thats what spine (hence the name) is for, it defines the relevant files required for the backbone of the book.

The real way is using the manifest to grab all relevant files and types.
    The spine section in OPF contains all files with relevant content to be displayed. In this case title page and html id references. These IDs represent the files in manifest having the same ids.

This will lead you to exactly two files:
    titlepage.xhtml and ebookmap45.html

The latter contains all required entries which src argument leads to all the images. It is surrounded by tons of <div> sections, but thats what you get when dealing with html, xml and css. There is no need to cheat around to get the images as they are listed in manifest and reappear as image links in the main html file.

Note:

Just a note as I got time to test your tool. It reports all my epubs (which I created from src html file using calibre to prove-read them on my ipad ibook reader) as DRMed, which is impossible, as I created them.

No clue how you detect DRM, but an archive which contains human readable utf-8 files is unlikly DRMed.
  • »21.09.14 - 23:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    I test this files with the xadmaster.library. If the lib can't unpack the files. Epub-Reader presume
    they are DRM'd.
    If the file corupt the xadmaster .librqary can't unpack the files,too.

Can i get a epub-file ?
    Then i can test it.

Quote:

geit wrote:

Note:

Just a note as I got time to test your tool. It reports all my epubs (which I created from src html file using calibre to prove-read them on my ipad ibook reader) as DRMed, which is impossible, as I created them.

No clue how you detect DRM, but an archive which contains human readable utf-8 files is unlikly DRMed.

• »22.09.14 - 16:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:
    I test this files with the xadmaster.library. If the lib can't unpack the files. Epub-Reader presume
    they are DRM'd.
    If the file corupt the xadmaster .librqary can't unpack the files,too.

Can i get a epub-file ?
    Then i can test it.

I tried today and it opened all of them. Seems to be a glitch of some kind, but I know that other people had the same problem.

Geit
  • »23.09.14 - 00:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Weekly news: Epub-Reader_0.6

New:

+ No "blocks": Epub-Reader filter all unprintable chars. Special UTF8-Chars was moved in UTF8-Chartable to print them correctly.
    + "Real" use of Mousewheel. Now you can scroll the Ebook whith the wheel.
    + The Scrollbar is fixed: Now it scrolls exactly till the end of a page. Also it did't scroll, if a page is smaller then the display.
    + Two speed scrolling: LSHIFT + Mousewheele = Double scrollspeed.
    + Textwrapping arround pictures (see the screenshot)
    + Correct picturelayout (see screenshot)
    + HTML 4.01 Style Underline

Textwrapping arround pictures: Epub-Reader_0.6-1.jpg
    No blocks: Epub-Reader_0.6-2.jpg
    Correct picturelayout: Epub-Reader_0.6-3.jpg
  • »28.09.14 - 15:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    This block filter stuff is not required.

The problem is that you convert the UTF8 text to iso8859 and then back to utf8 for displaying. During the first convert you are loosing the characters as iso8859 cannot keep all of them.

Simply only convert characters required to be displayed outside in the mui gui and hand over utf8 to cairo or ttengine. This will work fine without any side effects.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 28.09.2014 - 14:34 ]
  • »28.09.14 - 16:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    This block filter stuff is not required.

The problem is that you convert the UTF8 text to iso8859 and then back to utf8 for displaying. During the first convert you are loosing the characters as iso8859 cannot keep all of them.

Simply only convert characters required to be displayed outside in the mui gui and hand over utf8 to cairo or ttengine. This will work fine without any side effects.

Geit

I convert nothing!
    I use linear UTF8 all the time, no ISO 8859 or other thinks.
    But any of these "blocks" are 0x0A and 0x0D and any of these \xe2\x80\x93.
    0x0A and 0x0D are white-space control codes: '\f','\v','\n','\r'. These are not printable by cairo!
    I must filter them.
    0xE28093 are UTF8-Code for "-". Also not printable, but i change the charstream to ascii "-".
  • »28.09.14 - 17:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

pegasos-sigi2 wrote:

I convert nothing!
    I use linear UTF8 all the time, no ISO 8859 or other thinks.
    But any of these "blocks" are 0x0A and 0x0D and any of these \xe2\x80\x93.
    0x0A and 0x0D are white-space control codes: '\f','\v','\n','\r'. These are not printable by cairo!
    I must filter them.
    0xE28093 are UTF8-Code for "-". Also not printable, but i change the charstream to ascii "-".

Well, I know for sure that 0xE28093 is printable. At least tt_engine converts it right, as I got the very same issue, when using Text() and converted on my own, when implementing Reader.

http://www.geit.de/tmp/Reader.jpg

Geit
  • »28.09.14 - 17:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Hi Geit,

Does this mean you are also working, well basically have finished working on your own version of an epub reader?

If so, when will you be releasing your own 'Reader' version 1.0?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »29.09.14 - 00:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Does this mean you are also working, well basically have finished working on your own version of an epub reader?

It is basically working with any ebook and recently also supports amiga guide files.

Here a (incomplete) list of features already build in and working:

° epub support (No DRM of course)
    ° amigaguide support
    ° book like reading experience (no GUI elements required for reading)
    ° automatic justification (optional)
    ° automatic hyphenation (if a proper pattern file for the books language is present)(optional)
    ° dual page view
    ° multi window and tab support.
    ° app icon drop, window drop support
    ° project icon and shell support
    ° language weight algorithm to detect the books language if meta information missing
    ° browse pages via wheel, keyboard and mouse click (area based like on touch readers)
    ° fully customizsable view
    ° fully localized

And as a bonus it will be released with a free book and it comes with a so called recognition reader, which is basically a second reader application, with a unique new way of reading texts very fast.

Quote:

If so, when will you be releasing your own 'Reader' version 1.0?

I consider it a beta and will not release beyond betatesters until all the known issues are fixed.

However, it is planed to deliver it with next MorphOS release as it may require some MorphOS 3.8 specific features, but I may consider releasing it earlier.

Geit
  • »29.09.14 - 16:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    So we have two guys developing differnt software for the same purpose. Maybe some more people want to duplicate the work? That will be much better than having software for differnt purposes.
    BTW why do you use this old ugly topaz font? MOS comes with so many better readable fonts. I was so happy to get rid of this old piece.
  • »29.09.14 - 18:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    So we have two guys developing differnt software for the same purpose. Maybe some more people want to duplicate the work? That will be much better than having software for differnt purposes.
    BTW why do you use this old ugly topaz font? MOS comes with so many better readable fonts. I was so happy to get rid of this old piece.

In a halfe of my free time i port a ftp-server,too :))
  • »29.09.14 - 19:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    So we have two guys developing differnt software for the same purpose. Maybe some more people want to duplicate the work?

I write stuff I need or like to program. If you don´t like that, it is your problem.

Also both titles are far from being the same software. Carstens way is going to be some kind of ebook browser/viewer, while I concentrate more on the reading experience.

This reader is under development for quite some time. It started as a plain recognition reader, but when all the affords of supporting epub where done, the step of adding a secondary reader in real book form, was quite small.

Quote:

connor wrote:BTW why do you use this old ugly topaz font?

I use what I like to use.

AmigaGuide Reloaded. Linked images shown inline:

Reader4.jpg

Geit
  • »29.09.14 - 19:30
    connor
    Sorry if this sounded too cynic. Of course you write the software that you want to use on your own. This is fine. I just read that two guys living almost next door write their own ePub reader-something software. This soudns weird. If they differ a lot - okay. But from your screennshots it looks like both act as a reader. If your program does much more, very fine. As far as I read you started earlier than Carsten anyway.
    regarding topaz: sure, we all use what we like. I just wondered that someone likes this more than all the clean fonts from MOS CD. Yes, use what you like.

BTW: this article: https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_2109.html seems to be too old. It does not show up on the front page when changes happen. Would you like to see my last comment there, please?

[ Edited by connor 30.09.2014 - 16:46 ]
  • »30.09.14 - 18:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > this article [...] does not show up on the front page when changes happen.

They never do here on MorphZone.
  • »30.09.14 - 20:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Two readers for this type of digital media (I dislike calling it electronic when it isn't actually) ...... well what a treat.

Sooner than MOS v3.8, but by all accounts that might not be too long as you developer guys just "keep 'em coming" which is great as far as I am concerned, and if it needs MOS v3.8 features then we'll just have to wait. I'll just read a book (paper-type) in the meantime.

You still can't beat a good manual - printed on paper, but having a choice is great as well. ;-)

Thanks Carsten and Geit
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »01.10.14 - 03:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    News of the week: Epub-Reader 0,7

New in this version:

+ Never more not displayed pages
    + CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
    + Parse Inline CSS (includet in "CDATA" section
    + Parse all CSS Files in archive at once.
    + User changeable GUI
    + User selectable display of CSS or not
    + New settings window
    + Higher default fontsizes
    + New: Tooltypes debug_contents , debug_html, debug_css

Demo: With css: with_css.jpg Without css: without_css.jpg

In this version only textstyles and fontstyles are parsed and displayed.
    Picturestyles are on my todo list.
    The same as styles of margins and the background.

At his time all existing pages are displayed.
    Now the Epub-Reader search in the table of archivecontents, if no file with a TOC exists.
  • »05.10.14 - 14:58
    Jambalah
    Nice work Carsten!
    This version seems much more stable and it gives less problems. I'm enjoing to test it.
    @Geit: interesting work too. I'm waiting to use your reader.
    Thanks!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »05.10.14 - 21:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    That i have forgoten yesterday

+New shortcuts: Cursor left /right or Page up/down ( select next page / prev page)
  • »06.10.14 - 17:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    New: Epub-Reader 0.8

+ Start to add picture styles to css parser
    + Add more text styles to css parser / renderer
    + Add more text decorations to css-parser and renderer
    + More Debugoutput
    + Bugfixing
    + More ebooks are readable now

They work now:
    Goodnight.epub
    Comodorefree magazine
  • »12.10.14 - 17:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I just tried v0.8, and it locked up my MorphOS system, and I had to totally reboot the system.

I tested Alice in Wonderland from epubBooks - https://www.epubbooks.com/downloads/7-alice-in-wonderland .... and it showed some text dis-jointed from other text in Chapter III I seem to remember it was, and some text overlaid with an image or two, and probably other text not exactly as it should.

I also still notice words being split apart, such as an 'h' all on its own on a line, preceded by something like 'fis' - so this word should have been shown together as 'fish'. This is just an example of how words are not been kept together or properly hyphenated (-) so you can tell there is more of a word on the following line, but that method only usually is relevant, and should also ONLY work that way when there is a substantial part of a word that is either needing to be hypenated or is a usual word to be hyphenated, which 'fish' or other similar words do not fall into the category of.

I got the total crash when I tried to view the Liverpool map from: http://www.ebookmaps.com/dw_epub2/Liverpool.epub .... and that showed the front page, and then my system froze up/locked, so I am not going back trying it again at the moment, until you can offer some greater optimism that my system will not lock up totally if I try it again.

[ Edited by NewSense 15.10.2014 - 23:21 ]
  • »16.10.14 - 02:17