FinalWriter!
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    Argh! Not LaTeX! Don`t remind me of university!

[ Edited by Fraggle 07.10.2012 - 20:58 ]
    Fraggle
  • »07.10.12 - 21:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Jim,
    Quote:

No thanks Red.
    I'll stick with my "old" Powermac as its several times more powerful.
    And come to think of it, its also more powerful then most of the "new" hardware available for OS4.

My post was to Yasu who insists he will only buy "new" hardware. Efika are still available as new.
  • »08.10.12 - 04:32
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    NOS, anyway Red.

It would be nice to have some new equipment.
    But the developers have ruled out Acube hardware (which many think is under powered).
    And until Aeon was reformed, I don't think they saw the X1000 as a good candidate (BH's involvement).

Maybe Trevor can get Varisys to design a Qorlq based system with us in mind and pay for MorphOS porting to that.

BTW - What video card are you using?

[ Edited by Jim 08.10.2012 - 03:44 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »08.10.12 - 04:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [...] Yasu who insists he will only buy "new" hardware.
    > Efika are still available as new.

Yasu said he would only buy "new hardware that is still being made". The Efika 5200B stopped being made 5 years ago.
  • »08.10.12 - 08:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > until Aeon was reformed, I don't think they saw the X1000 as
    > a good candidate (BH's involvement).

Do they now? ;-)

> Maybe Trevor can get Varisys to design a Qorlq based system with us in mind

I don't think a QorIQ-based system designed with MorphOS in mind would look any different from a QorIQ-based system designed without MorphOS in mind ;-)
  • »08.10.12 - 08:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    So can you run MorphOS on an Efika MX?

Edit: Never mind. It's out of stock.

[ Edited by Yasu 08.10.2012 - 12:32 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »08.10.12 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

> until Aeon was reformed, I don't think they saw the X1000 as
    > a good candidate (BH's involvement).

Do they now? ;-)

You know I can't speak for them, but I think they might consider it if hey were compensated.

Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

> Maybe Trevor can get Varisys to design a Qorlq based system with us in mind

I don't think a QorIQ-based system designed with MorphOS in mind would look any different from a QorIQ-based system designed without MorphOS in mind ;-)

No, I guess not. ;-)

Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Yasu said he would only buy "new hardware that is still being made".

But, it would meet this requirement.
  • »08.10.12 - 16:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Jim,
    Quote:

NOS, anyway Red.

Yup :-)

Quote:

BTW - What video card are you using?

Currently using a Radeon 8500LE (PC version flashed as Mac Radeon 8500).

I am keeping an eye out for a Radeon 9800 to be ready for R300 3D support.
  • »08.10.12 - 17:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Yasu,
    Quote:

So can you run MorphOS on an Efika MX?

No, not on the Efika MX. But on Efika5200B. Those are still on sale and a funn ylittle hardware, but nothing to work seriously with (too limited).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »08.10.12 - 18:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    redrumloa,
    Quote:

I am keeping an eye out for a Radeon 9800 to be ready for R300 3D support.

Yeah, its actually one of the easier cards to re-flash.

Your using an 8500LE, eh? I had a 9100 until recently (pretty much the same card). Definately a better performer then the 9000 or 9200. And really cheap to acquire. Right now, probably the second fastest card under MorphOS (the fastest being a standard 8500).
  • »08.10.12 - 19:42
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    Back to the original topic. I think Scriba (now 0.9) looks promising. Far from complete app, but there is a new version every week. If the author continoues like this, we have complete office siute by this xmas.

As mentioned earlier a '88 Corolla was good, but to get this to up to date is cost more than if you buy a new car.

[ Edited by Derringer 09.10.2012 - 10:56 ]
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »09.10.12 - 10:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    regarding spreadsheet:
    There is quite uptodate spreadsheet written in MUI but not working on MorphOS:
    http://aminet.net/biz/dbase/DataM_II.lha

I cannot contact its author. If someone has contact to him, please let me now. Maybe Christoph Kirsch could release sources.
  • »09.10.12 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I cannot contact its author. If someone has contact to him, please let me now.

http://www.dojolauda.de/?page=impressum
  • »09.10.12 - 13:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    wow, thx
    i'll write an email and ask Christoph for the source.
  • »09.10.12 - 16:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > He would be willing to sell the source rights; but no one in all these years
    > has mentioned money sufficient enough for him to take the offer seriously.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39672&forum=32 :-)

> Final Calc [...] was written by Khalid Aldoseri, so he owns the rights to that source.

...which thus is not part of Terminills' purchase:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=780007

Edit: added 2nd quote and link

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 17.12.2014 - 17:41 ]
  • »12.12.14 - 14:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Not only was he willing he was extremely friendly. :) I cannot disclose the price agreed upon however I think it's a fair deal.
  • »12.12.14 - 17:06
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    The source code is worth zero now lying on his compact disc

Chuckles ... Tape drive. :)
  • »12.12.14 - 17:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @terminills

This is awesome! Sign me up for a MorphOS copy! :-D
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.12.14 - 19:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

terminills schrieb:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Not only was he willing he was extremely friendly. :) I cannot disclose the price agreed upon however I think it's a fair deal.

That is indeed quite good news. Office software is what's missing most. Although I only used Wordworth and AmigaWriter in the past on Amiga (and Beckertext in the real early years) I am glad FW is saved for future now. Good move.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »12.12.14 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

terminills schrieb:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

That is indeed quite good news. Office software is what's missing most. Although I only used Wordworth and AmigaWriter in the past on Amiga (and Beckertext in the real early years) I am glad FW is saved for future now. Good move.

Development has officially started on Final Writer. :)
  • »27.05.15 - 13:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

What are the aims of your work that has just officially started on Final Writer? To just port it to AROS, or are you aiming at an AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS release as well, so you can sell more copies and recoup your purchase price, plus maybe a little extra to pay for the new development work? Or, are you thinking of improving the functionality of Final Writer during the process of porting it to AROS, AmigaOS4.x, and MorphOS?

If the aim is to add new features during the porting process, will you also release a new and improved AmigaOS3.x version of Final Writer, with any improvements back ported to the original Final Writer code? Although Final Data was very basic and not as useful as a full featured database program, are you planning on porting it as well, or replacing it with a better database application, to create a more full featured office suite?

Will the work on Final Writer include any work to improve printing capabilities, or will you depend on the existing printing support that is built-in with the target operating system of each release?

Lots of questions, just wondering what you have planned for the future and if you have considered any of these questions in your planning?
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »27.05.15 - 17:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

More info than just a tease is needed :-) Most important would be the ability to communicate with the outside world standards.
  • »27.05.15 - 18:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

More info than just a tease is needed :-) Most important would be the ability to communicate with the outside world standards.

That is where competing projects seem to have an edge.
    That and a more modern look and feel.
  • »27.05.15 - 20:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

What are the aims of your work that has just officially started on Final Writer? To just port it to AROS, or are you aiming at an AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS release as well, so you can sell more copies and recoup your purchase price, plus maybe a little extra to pay for the new development work? Or, are you thinking of improving the functionality of Final Writer during the process of porting it to AROS, AmigaOS4.x, and MorphOS?

It is going cross platform ie a native version for each platform. New features are planned but it will take time to get them implemented.

Quote:

If the aim is to add new features during the porting process, will you also release a new and improved AmigaOS3.x version of Final Writer, with any improvements back ported to the original Final Writer code? Although Final Data was very basic and not as useful as a full featured database program, are you planning on porting it as well, or replacing it with a better database application, to create a more full featured office suite?

I do hope to eventually have a full blown native office suite

Quote:

Will the work on Final Writer include any work to improve printing capabilities, or will you depend on the existing printing support that is built-in with the target operating system of each release?

Printing is up to the OS. That being said Final Writer never supported 24 bit printing and that will change now.

Quote:

Lots of questions, just wondering what you have planned for the future and if you have considered any of these questions in your planning?

I have considered many things and would love to say the next release will include feature xyz. However I plan on being realistic and will work on making sure each version will have each feature that is implemented being implemented correctly.
  • »27.05.15 - 20:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

Obviously importing/exporting ODF is very important and will be supported eventually but I make no promises as to when it will be supported. :)

[ Edited by terminills 27.05.2015 - 19:56 ]
  • »27.05.15 - 20:56