New SAM460EX
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @all
    Hi, news about MorphOS 2.5 ? :) :) ...sorry but It's more interesting then Sam and X1000 :) :)
  • »15.04.10 - 22:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > news about MorphOS 2.5 ? :) :) ...sorry but It's more interesting then Sam and X1000 :) :)

Then stop pushing this thread and keep pushing that one instead :-P
  • »15.04.10 - 22:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Quote:

that CPU (which A-Eon childishly keep "secret")

"the NDA is incorporated into the CPU supply agreement", if this NDA really exists, I wouldn't call the secrecy childish.

That supposed NDA makes it even MORE childish. It's just another attempt at making it more interesting, with a supposed secrecy that adds a much needed fascination touch.

When you attempt to build a computer, you source desired components looking plainly at price and availability. If there's secrecy around any of them, that can only be bad, as it's just obstacles in a very, very complex race.

Come on, can't they source a CPU that's simply available, without any bullshit? It's just this amigan thinking again: "Look, we chose a weird CPU, because we're so cool we can't use a common one. It's so cool that we were forced to sing a secrecy contract with blood".

So we have to believe that a serious CPU manufacturer does choose, for its new product, a completely unknown company to make an almost unmarketable motherboard.
  • »16.04.10 - 08:27
    Golem
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Come on, can't they source a CPU that's simply available, without any bullshit?

Got any suitable recommendations?

Quote:

So we have to believe that a serious CPU manufacturer does choose, for its new product, a completely unknown company to make an almost unmarketable motherboard.

Why do you believe it is a serious CPU manufacturer?

Oh and btw... the bullshit angle seems to work well enough for other companies.
  • »16.04.10 - 12:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:36 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »16.04.10 - 12:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Golem wrote:

Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:

Come on, can't they source a CPU that's simply available, without any bullshit?

Got any suitable recommendations?

I can't believe one has to sign an NDA to source a CPU for a new design. What makes me ill is that it's supposed to add an amigan edge to the project, like "gee, we'll be using a secret weapon nobody else has".
    I thought amigans had grown enough to avoid the kind of plays. Is that secret going to impress anyone? Sure: Me. But for the negative part.

Quote:

:-?

On the other side, I had a look at A-Eon's revamped site, and had a wonderful long time reading the fantastic history behind the XMOS chip added to the X1000 (the only thing that makes it interesting).

That chip heralds back to the mythical INMOS Transputer, which sets the reader back to the eighties, the golden computer age when things were, actually, way more interesting and risky than now.

In one of the most convoluted twists in Amiga history, a revelation comes: The new Amiga X1000 is "the same" as an Atari Transputer Workstation!

Atari_Transputer.jpg
  • »16.04.10 - 13:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you obviously really want to talk with me because you keep responding to my comments

You must be some kind of super-genius to come to that conclusion.

> even though I've made it clear that I really don't want to talk with you

But you do, don't you?

> you're an insulting, distasteful, tricky, anal-retentive human webspider.

That made me laugh, really :-D

> And a false accuser

You mean like TeleRead's Chris Meadows?

> who said I'm a liar but never did give any intelligible or genuine example.

I did, numerous times. It's just that you're not able to grasp, and you often don't remember what you wrote just before, which makes arguing with you a PITA. But I won't give up.

> You're deceptive and tricky.

False.

> For example in the other recent thread you intentionally misconstrue my comment
    > about the 5121e that I point out as having 256 megs RAM as referring to the chip alone,
    > when it was clear I referred to the board.

Why am I not surprised that you don't grasp my well-meant explanation of your misconception? Well, let's try once more:
    There is no "the board" in regard to the MPC5121e . You didn't even say which MPC5121e equipped board you were referring to. In fact, there are *numerous* MPC5121e equipped boards with *different* amounts of RAM. So it just makes no sense stating that "the 5121e [has] double the RAM of Efika" like you did.

> It's tricky and deceptive, and intended to be annoying, i.e. trolling.

I just enlightened you about your misconception.

> you'll come back with some long-winded tricky babble that no-one but you
    > understands

We both know that you don't understand what I write because you don't even read my answers properly. You even confessed that back in October.

> then hopefully I'll go back to ignoring you

We'll see.

> I should have said "that's idiotic" as Blender is available for modern PCs and there's
    > no reason but masochism to try to start a ray-tracing business using Blender and
    > an X1000 running OS4.

It's not about ray-tracing businesses to use OS4 but about OS4 users to be able to do ray-tracing without having to run the computation overnightly.

> That's marketing speak for the CPU and doesn't tell us or indicate whether the
    > X1000 altogether will use a lot of watts

Yes, I just wanted to point out that the CPU has the minor part in that, provided A-Eon's statement holds true. So if the X1000 will use "lot of watts", then in conclusion the southbridge (probably AMD SB600), providing for the board I/O, and the gfx card will have to have the main part in watts usage.

> I'm sure you'll want to debate at length now exactly how many watts I mean by "a lot."

Wrong.

> I mean relative to other Amiga-like-OS hardware like Pegasos, Efika, Sam,
    > various A1 versions, and PPC Mac mini.

Efika and Sam are economical in comparison to Nemo, that's for sure. But they're also much much weaker. We'll see how Nemo will compare to Pegasos II G4, AmigaOne-XE G4 and Mac mini G4 regarding power usage. Nemo will probably be hungrier (even when taking the gfx card, which is interchangeable in two of the three comparing machines, off the equation) but I think it's not sure that by much. Nemo mainly has CPU and southbridge, the others have CPU, northbridge and southbridge.

> I said "to me" in that sentence [...]
    > I was making a statement of personal opinion.

Fair enough. My bad.

> clipped out the middle of it for no good reason to replace with your ellipsis

Huh? That's just because I didn't want to argue about "coolness" but only about the alleged Pegasos-likeness.
  • »16.04.10 - 16:24
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:15 ]
  • »16.04.10 - 22:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Golem wrote:

It's most certainly the Titan from Intrinsity/AMCC (what else can it be?). I'd say they are serious...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.04.10 - 07:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> even though I've made it clear that I really don't want to talk with you

>> But you do, don't you?

> the answer is "no."

It's almost funny how you're always proving yourself false :-)
  • »18.04.10 - 00:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we have to believe that a serious CPU manufacturer does choose, for its new product,
    > a completely unknown company

I don't think it's a new product. And I don't think the CPU manufacturer chose A-Eon, but the other way round.
  • »18.04.10 - 13:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > In one of the most convoluted twists in Amiga history, a revelation comes:
    > The new Amiga X1000 is "the same" as an Atari Transputer Workstation!

The Amiga has a history with the Transputer as well:

http://www.bboah.com/index.php?search=transputer&submit=Go&action=search
    http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/prototypes/transputer.html
  • »18.04.10 - 13:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's most certainly the Titan from Intrinsity/AMCC

The only Titan core based chip that has been announced is the APM83290, which is available just up to 1.5 GHz. The X1000's CPU is announced to have 1.8 GHz.

> what else can it be?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6775&forum=11#69373
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&start=40#72160
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&start=60#72176

:-)
  • »18.04.10 - 13:44
    stephen_robinson
    Overclocked?
  • »18.04.10 - 15:13
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:17 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 15:28
    Golem
    @Velcro

You are posting in a public forum, you don't get to decide who responds to your posts :)
  • »18.04.10 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:20 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 16:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > are you serious?!

Of course I am.

> Doesn't the fact that I didn't respond to you for months, despite your frequent responses
    > to me, help to make you realize that I sincerely don't want to talk with you?!

The fact that you recently started responding to me again helps to make me realize that you sincerely do want to talk with me again.

> The only reason I do so now (please don't ellipse this out if you respond) is to try to get
    > you to understand, so you will stop responding to me all the time.

If you really want to make me realize that you sincerely don't want to talk with me, the best way to show this would be actually not responding to me (like you did for the last months, as you say). At the moment you do the opposite. That's what I try to get you to understand.
  • »18.04.10 - 16:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Overclocked?

Would be an option, technically. But I seriously doubt that.
  • »18.04.10 - 16:15
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:12 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 16:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > NO!

But it does! :-)

> to try to get you to go away from me.

You won't. I even promised that to you a while back. Whenever I feel the need or the pleasure to respond to you I'll do so.
  • »18.04.10 - 16:37
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.04.2011 - 07:18 ]
  • »18.04.10 - 16:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If it were me, and someone didn't want to talk to me, I'd respect that and satisfy
    > myself communicating with others.

I respect that you don't want to talk to me, no problem with that. It's you who doesn't respect that it's my wish to respond to your postings whenever I do so. You don't have to respond to my response and I never said I thought you'd have to.
  • »18.04.10 - 17:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>> It's most certainly the Titan from Intrinsity/AMCC

> The only Titan core based chip that has been announced is the APM83290, which
    > is available just up to 1.5 GHz. The X1000's CPU is announced to have 1.8 GHz.

"this is an historic picture of AmigaOS4 running on a 64-bit Power CPU."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31325&forum=2&start=260#553255

With this, anything based on Titan, be it already announced or not, can be ruled out for sure.
  • »19.04.10 - 09:04
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    PowerPC 970FX! 64bit, dual core, could easily do 1.8GHz.

No, I don't think it's an IBM processor either, but what is it Andreas?

Also, after all this discussion on the new Acube MB, why not port MorphOS to Acube boards? The Applied Micro processors they're using are a little underpowered, but the boards are avaiable. Isn't availability one of the major considerations (when deciding what to port to)?

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/4/21 4:51 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.04.10 - 03:50