MorphOS on Sam460
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    As we missed this during 'The Rapture', a thread for this news:

http://amiga.ikirsector.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17250

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4958257605168&set=oa.293410280765572&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

About the board itself:-
    http://acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=5

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 18.12.2012 - 08:13 ]
  • »18.12.12 - 08:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    To make a (probably) long story short ...
    Yes, MorphOS will officially support Sam460 at some point. It still needs some work on drivers but I have shown a working version booting at Pianeta Amiga Italy.
    This is unrelated to the ongoing work on MorphOS 3.2, though.
    Our main focus is R300 3D drivers and PMacG5 support for that one and maybe some other enhancements we can't disclose yet.
  • »18.12.12 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    pega-1,
    Quote:

Our main focus is R300 3D drivers and PMacG5 support for that one and maybe some other enhancements we can't disclose yet.

VERY good to hear! :pint:

Is February still a target?
  • »18.12.12 - 18:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    At first time i thought it is pointless effort. MDD,macmini,pbook,g5 pm-s and even overclocked pegasos faster than sam460, so what's the point?

If you wandering about a minute, the answer is simple: os4 has only one advantage nowadays. It is on new (newly produced) hw. Morphos on used mac is good for getting new people who're wanted cheap hw and/or familiar with macs already. But if you have a project for example running an office or controlling embended system, you can't say:

This is our offer, the software will be xxx USD and the hw, the hw some used second hand hw....
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »18.12.12 - 19:47
    stephen_robinson
    I'm sure the MorphOS developers think about Amiga OS4.1 every waking hour.

And in the small hours of the night have nightmares of scrolling screens, and maybe fantasise erotic thoughts of making sweet sweet love to a X1000 motherboard.

It's quite literally the only possible explanation as to WHY there's a port to this Motherboard.

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 18.12.2012 - 21:54 ]
  • »18.12.12 - 21:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm sure the MorphOS developers think about Amiga OS4.1 every waking
    > hour. [...] It's quite literally the only possible explanation as to WHY there's
    > a port to this Motherboard.

Well, I find it quite interesting how strong objection can turn into advocacy ;-)
    Btw, will the Sam460ex be made available without compulsory OS4 license?
  • »19.12.12 - 00:50
    ausPPC
    > As we missed this during 'The Rapture' ...

Well put! Re: MorphOS on the Sam460, I certainly didn't see it coming but it can only be a good thing - as was the AOS port to PegII. I'm also interested to see possible HaikuOS support for Sam. What is it with this board?

[ Edited by ausPPC 19.12.2012 - 18:05 ]
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »19.12.12 - 01:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS will officially support Sam460 at some point.

Also Sam440?

"MorphOS will run on SAM 440 and SAM 460"
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38014&forum=14&start=60#715081
  • »15.08.13 - 01:06
    CountRaven
    Well I thought it will run only on 460. Is 440 officially confirmed! Hopefully yes.
  • »15.08.13 - 03:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    I think this will be great!
    I really prefer/want new hardware, I tried in the past to find a peg2...no luck here in California.
    The used mac thing was a pain for me. (old hardware going bad)

M

Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    To make a (probably) long story short ...
    Yes, MorphOS will officially support Sam460 at some point. It still needs some work on drivers but I have shown a working version booting at Pianeta Amiga Italy.

• »15.08.13 - 09:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think this could be helpful as well. Especially since it will give existing SAM owners a reason to test MorphOS.

I though hope that the 440 will be supported, for when I bought a SAM460 preassembled and bundled with 4.1r4 it was pure trash. It crashed all the time (litterarly once every 1 and 15 minutes) and was because of that utterly useless. Later I got it confirmed that A-Cube have huge problems with the memory sockets, and that they tend to work poorly or not at all (making the system unstable). It was for this reason I gave up on AmigaOS4. I didn't sight up to be a beta-tester but that was what was asked of me when I started to complain about this problem at different Amiga forums.

This is a very good thing about MorphOS Team: they work on the problems until they are fixed before releasing new versions. Kudos to that!

But my question is if the SAM 460 is a hard piece to port? I mean, considering how long they have been working on the AOS4 port before getting it to a semi-working state.

Anywhay, if a SAM 440 port becomes available I will probably buy it in order to have a AOS4 and MOS dual boot :)

[ Edited by Yasu 15.08.2013 - 12:11 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 11:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I thought it will run only on 460.

Same here.

> Is 440 officially confirmed! Hopefully yes.

Not as far as I'm aware. But reading the statement I quoted made me think I may have missed an announcement or so.
  • »15.08.13 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I got it confirmed that A-Cube have huge problems with the memory sockets,
    > and that they tend to work poorly or not at all (making the system unstable).

That's unfortunate to hear as I've been under the impression that ACube tends to make quality hardware (with a singular exception so far, admittedly). Wouldn't this memory socket problem being a pure hardware problem affect also MorphOS on the Sam460ex and render it unstable?
  • »15.08.13 - 11:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

From what I've been told, it's one of those problems that simply shouldn't be there by design. So some boards works fine, but other doesn't. But in a lot of cases the problems is actually the choice of RAM. The 460 is extremely picky, so you have to buy those that are recommended by A-cube themselves.

Makes one wish that the board would come with the recommended RAMs by default.

So the answer would be that if it's a faulty board (or poor choice of RAM) any system will be noticably more unstable. Maybe less so with Linux, but for my AOS4.1r4 it was unusuable in the true sense of the word.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 12:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I got it confirmed that A-Cube have huge problems with the memory sockets,
    >>> and that they tend to work poorly or not at all (making the system unstable).

>> Wouldn't this memory socket problem being a pure hardware problem affect
    >> also MorphOS on the Sam460ex and render it unstable?

> From what I've been told, it's one of those problems that simply shouldn't be
    > there by design. So some boards works fine, but other doesn't.

Thanks for clarification. Your previous statement made it sound like the memory socket problem was there for all Sam460ex boards, which made me wonder.

> if it's a faulty board [...] any system will be noticably more unstable. [...]
    > for my AOS4.1r4 it was unusuable in the true sense of the word.

Beside yourself, do you know of any other public reports from users that have experienced this memory socket problem on their Sam460ex? I ask because I can't remember having ever heard of this before.
  • »15.08.13 - 13:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Several people reported it when I asked. Some got new boards (like me, but it still worked poorly though better than before. It was still unusuable) and some returned them in anger. I think the thread was in amiga.org, but I'm not sure anymore. I do remember some people bashing me for mentioning this problem because "one simply must not talk bad about anything AOS4 related." It pissed me off and made me sell my AOS system.

Though, the guy who bought my system said that it was much more stable after a couple of more updates so they must be getting somewhere. Poor drivers is much simpler to solve than faulty memory sockets of course.

I'm not saying this to trash talk A-cube. I admire their effort and they are good and helpful guys. But a problem is a problem and should be adressed honestly. On their hand they should bundle RAM with their board. On the otger hand some fanatican AOS4 users should help people when they have problems and not telling them to shut up.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 13:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> do you know of any other public reports from users that have experienced this
    >> memory socket problem on their Sam460ex? I ask because I can't remember
    >> having ever heard of this before.

> Several people reported it when I asked. Some got new boards (like me, but it still
    > worked poorly though better than before. It was still unusuable) and some returned
    > them in anger. I think the thread was in amiga.org, but I'm not sure anymore.

I must have missed this on amiga.org or wherever this thread ran. The only related thread with you participating I could find on amiga.org consists of your opening post and no reply whatsoever:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61252

I guess this isn't what you meant then ;-) So if you stumble upon the real thread, please leave me a note here in this thread. Thanks.

> the guy who bought my system said that it was much more stable after a couple of more
    > updates [...]. Poor drivers is much simpler to solve than faulty memory sockets of course.

I'm surprised that a problem like faulty memory sockets can be cured in software at all.
  • »15.08.13 - 14:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:
    Several people reported it when I asked. Some got new boards (like me, but it still worked poorly though better than before. It was still unusuable) and some returned them in anger. I think the thread was in amiga.org, but I'm not sure anymore. I do remember some people bashing me for mentioning this problem because "one simply must not talk bad about anything AOS4 related." It pissed me off and made me sell my AOS system.

Though, the guy who bought my system said that it was much more stable after a couple of more updates so they must be getting somewhere. Poor drivers is much simpler to solve than faulty memory sockets of course.

I'm not saying this to trash talk A-cube. I admire their effort and they are good and helpful guys. But a problem is a problem and should be adressed honestly. On their hand they should bundle RAM with their board. On the otger hand some fanatican AOS4 users should help people when they have problems and not telling them to shut up.

+1

I am not a MorphOS user yet even though I could imagine (even if that means to buy something from Apple :-) ). On the other hand I could never imagine to buy AmigaOS, not only because of the high price but also because of the fanatism of its supporters. They seem to be occupied by their strange idea of being "true" because of using old code, "amiga" icon-set and naming. Just a couple of days ago I was attacked because I use "copyrighted" icon-sets and he immediately threatened me legally. I do not use "holy" amiga-icons from amigaos and just with permission. MorphOS user and developer are mostly more relaxed and thus not so fanatic (that is much more sympathic).
  • »15.08.13 - 15:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Just a couple of days ago I was attacked because I use "copyrighted" icon-sets and
    > he immediately threatened me legally.

"I assume correct permissions and licenses have been obtained to embed in the OS or otherwise stored and accessed."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37959&forum=47&start=40#714764

Where is the attack let alone the legal threat?
  • »15.08.13 - 15:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    how would you interpret this?

"Excuse if I am wrong but the screenshot at post 1 shows copyrighted icons. I assume correct permissions and licenses have been obtained to embed in the OS or otherwise stored and accessed. "
  • »15.08.13 - 15:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

I can't remember where now. If I find where, I will post here.

Quote:

I'm surprised that a problem like faulty memory sockets can be cured in software at all.

I meant that even when I got a working board, it was still a useless system due to it's unfinished drivers and such. That problem they can fix over time, and it seems they are making progress. But I bought the SAM460 expecting a working system so I lost patience almost immediately.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 15:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Just a couple of days ago I was attacked because I use "copyrighted" icon-sets and
    > he immediately threatened me legally.

"I assume correct permissions and licenses have been obtained to embed in the OS or otherwise stored and accessed."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37959&forum=47&start=40#714764

Where is the attack let alone the legal threat?

If I am not mistaken those are from the Ken's Icons set not Amiga OS nor OS4. I would just ignore djrikki, he's one of those sorts that didn't use an Amiga for 20 years and then came back not so long ago as a defender of the holy name.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »15.08.13 - 16:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @OlafSch

The argument of legacy I don't really understand. Especially considering that the same people who proclaim only AmigaOS 4 is the true successor because of old 3.1 code are more than happy to bash Windows for having a LOT of legacy code from the MSDOS/Win3.1 era and beyond.

AmigaOS 4 is not bad. I just think MorphOS is noticably better.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 16:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Yes and I have the permission to use them. He mentioned the first screenshot where some "old-style 3.1." were visible. They were shown as replacement because my def_ icons were not recognized by the icon library and propably used by the lib as replacement. But instead of asking he went to attack. There are other examples of people using icons or themes and immediately attacked by "supporters" and even named "thieves". When I said he should stop that because it is untrue another AmigaOS user popped up and started to attack me. That is this fanatism that I dislike.
  • »15.08.13 - 16:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > how would you interpret this?

I interpret this as an advice that your usage of icons requires permission from the author and as an assumption that you got that permission. No need to read more into that, really.
    In any case, while calling the advice and the assumption in your favour an attack is probably subject to personal opinion, the alleged legal threat is something you just made up to make a certain group of people look bad, which in the end makes only you look bad.
  • »15.08.13 - 16:13