OpenJK
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Fazior wrote:
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    I did merge my changes with the latest openjk version, and rebuilt everything. This may or may not solve the memory trashing issues, but it's worth a try. Note: I moved jagameppc.so into base.

yummmy, I will test it in the evening.

Heh it still does not work.
  • »12.05.14 - 18:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> the G5 only supports 1gb of RAM

>> It's rather MorphOS that supports no more than this on the G5. The G5 itself supports
    >> several GiB RAM, which can be confirmed by running different OS than MorphOS on it.

> Why do you single out a line of a forum message like above, then write an explanation
    > that is intended to make the statement untrue?

It's not my explanation that makes your statement untrue (however that is supposed to work anyway). But to answer your genuine question as to why I wrote what I wrote:
    The fact that the Efika 5200B (as well as the Mac mini G4, most G4 iBooks and some G4 PowerBooks) supports only less than 1.5 GiB RAM is a pure hardware limitation, whereas the fact that "the G5 only supports 1gb of RAM" (as you put it) is a software limitation (which may be possible to overcome according to the MorphOS Team). To my mind, this is an important difference that is blurred by your comparison. The second part of the comparison mentions a hardware limitation, so inexperienced readers may wrongly conclude that the misleadingly worded first part is about a hardware limitation too.

> you felt compelled to write a correction to protect anyone who may have been misled
    > into thinking that a G5 PowerMac can only use 1gb of RAM when running MacOSX,
    > or any OS other than MorphOS?

Yes, although I'd rather say "inform" as "protect" sounds too piled on for my modest liking :-)

>>> instead of the 1.5gb RAM on all other MorphOS hardware (except the Efika of course)

>> The Efika 5200B isn't the only MorphOS-supported platform that's restricted to less
    >> than 1.5 GiB RAM (see Mac mini G4, most G4 iBooks, some G4 PowerBooks).

> You are quite correct, thanks for clarifying that to anyone who may not have already
    > known that fact.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help to you :-)
  • »12.05.14 - 22:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Andreas [...] is probably *not* trying to be insulting.

True, I *never* try to be insulting when I post a correction. I think there are more effective ways to insult people than to post a factual correction of a statement they made.

> I have long suspected he suffers from Asperger syndrome to some degree

I remember that you used this suspicion against me to try to weasel out when I asked you for evidence to back up a claim you made.
  • »12.05.14 - 22:37
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    I played OJK on my G5 and had no problems yet. Played the tutorials until the first mission. no freezing.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »16.05.14 - 19:48
    XDelusion
    Cego, great to hear! Would be sad if all of BsZili's hard efforts were in vein.

You hear that BsZili?! All is not lost!!! ;)
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »16.05.14 - 21:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    Video playback works too so far
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »16.05.14 - 22:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but this happened to me as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And it can take quite a while before it freezes. But I havn't played in a while. Last time I tried it didn't freeze at all, with the latest version.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.05.14 - 22:26
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    The tutorial missions are known to work everywhere. When you start to select from the first tier of "real" missions is when all hell breaks loose for others.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »17.05.14 - 05:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:When you start to select from the first tier of "real" missions is when all hell breaks loose for others.

As a matter of fact I've managed to run a few "real" missions too. Like Bakura (done whole mission, game freezed at the next one), or Blenjeel (started OK). Not sure if that tells you anything though.
  • »17.05.14 - 09:19
    eliot
    Hmm, there seems something really wrong with the current 3D drivers.

First, changing screen resolution will freeze the whole system, when playing in fullscreen.
    Second, most of the available 3D games corrupting the memory.
    Third, quitting the game will result in a trashed ambient (sometimes mouse or keyboard do not work anymore, ambient freezes after a while).

I am using a Power Mac G4 MDD with a Radeon 9000@128 mb, MorphOs 3.5.

I recognized same problems with other 3D games too
    (also on my second system, a G5 with Radeon 9600).

EDIT:
    Here are two screenshots.
    First one shows a directory window before starting OpenJK,
    second shows the window after quitting. Second one is broken:
    NormalWindow.png
    BrokenWindow.png
    regards
    eliot
  • »18.05.14 - 16:05
    Stevo
    @BSzili

Did you try Wipeout to check on the memtrashing?
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »21.05.14 - 20:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Wipeout is part of the MorphOS SDK, BTW, and is located in Development/Tools. No need to download it from Aminet. The Aminet version is probably older anyway.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »21.05.14 - 20:33
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    Just small photo, latest iMac Vs Power G5:
    OpenJKiMacVsG5.jpg
    regards
    eliot
  • »22.05.14 - 20:13
    BSzili
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try if Wipeout can catch the memory trashing. In the meantime I finally merged my changes into my repo. It's available in the "amiga" branch of my OpenJK fork:
    https://github.com/BSzili/OpenJK/tree/amiga
  • »23.05.14 - 19:19
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    Yesterday I talked to Mark and he assumed that can be a problem
    with the Radeon 9000 with 128 MB memory.
    So just tested with an ordinary Radeon 9000 with 64 MB memory and
    everything worked well.

So it either the R200 driver cannot handle the Radeon 9000 with 128 MB memory
    or the card is broken.

I will sent he card to Mark in order to check the card.

regards
    eliot
    regards
    eliot
  • »25.05.14 - 15:24
    BSzili
    This would explain why I didn't have such problems on a 32MB Mac Mini. Still there were a lot of people with R300 cards who couldn't get past the first mission selection screen. *shrug*
  • »25.05.14 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    Ok, this time I tested with Radeon 9600 XT with 128 MB memory in my Power Mac G4.
    The game runs very smooth and stable. Changing screen resolution worked also fine.
    So it seems to be that a lack of gfx memory (less than 128 MB) causes the problems.

regards
    eliot
    regards
    eliot
  • »29.05.14 - 17:24
    BSzili
    I'm not sure has anything to do with it. I didn't have problems on a 32MB Mac Mini, and most of the crash logs came from people with 128MB R300 cards. Moreover the crashes only happen during level change, or after the game DLL is unloaded (e.g. saving/loading).

[ Edited by BSzili 29.05.2014 - 18:42 ]
  • »29.05.14 - 19:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try if Wipeout can catch the memory trashing. In the meantime I finally merged my changes into my repo. It's available in the "amiga" branch of my OpenJK fork:
    https://github.com/BSzili/OpenJK/tree/amiga

Any progress:)?
  • »06.06.14 - 06:26
    BSzili
    I haven't had any time to try Wipeout, and since the game runs relatively stable on my machine, I might not even get any new information out of it. The source is public, so if anyone figures out how to fix this memory trashing issue, send me a patch or a pull request.
  • »06.06.14 - 08:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Strangely enough, I've managed to do some progress in game today. It seems more stable when Wipeout running in the background (although it stumbles, repeats sounds and generally - looses FPS a lot, up to non-playable values). Debug logs are in the way. Hope you can make something out of them.

@all: Save just a few moments before completing mission, then reboot, run Wipeout and then OpenJK, load your game, complete the mission, begin the next one, save, reboot, load and play normally (well, at least as "normally" as you can on an Amiga-ish system anyway).
  • »09.06.14 - 18:47
    BSzili
    Unfortunately the logs didn't gave me any new information. It crashes in the memory allocator when a destructor tries to free some memory.
  • »11.06.14 - 12:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Unfortunately the logs didn't gave me any new information. It crashes in the memory allocator when a destructor tries to free some memory.

Maybe I should be more specific when running Wipeout (as to type some obscure commands perhaps?).
  • »12.06.14 - 07:39
    BSzili
    I've never used Wipeout before, so I don't know about any obscure commands, but I'm pretty sure it comes with some sort of documentation. I'll be busy until the end of the month, but you can check the docs in the meantime.
  • »12.06.14 - 09:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:

Crashes as in ISI or DSI exception or is it Wipeout hit or an alert? Wipeout tracks memory allocations and detects invalid free pointers and checks if memory chunks before and after allocated memory were trashed. This is checked when memory is freed and it prints out stack trace where memory was allocated.

Wipeout works with default settings and command line options are just for special cases. There is small doc file describing commands and Wipeout hits (IIRC).

If you disable consistency check in Wipeout the system might run faster. I dont remember was it enabled or disabled by default.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »12.06.14 - 10:19