Synergy-foss
  • Just looking around
    I would like to purpose a bounty for a Synergy client. http://synergy-foss.org/

Synergy lets you use 1 keyboard / mouse between multiple computers and OS'es

Main thing is that the keyboard/mouse can be connected to a PC and Morph is the client. I will pay $250 to whoever wants to mod the open-source project to support Morph.

[ Edited by mhoney 22.04.2014 - 15:00 ]
  • »30.03.14 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Allready tried zvnc (should be in sys:applications) ?
  • »30.03.14 - 18:52
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    I have tried for ages to get ZVNC to work with RealVNC running on Windows. I am using 3.3.7 as suggested in the ZVNC docs and I have port forwaded correctly. All I get from ZVNC on mos is "Your connection has been rejected" I am using the tooltypes to set the correct details but it just does not work for me.

As such I too would love a version of Synergy for MOS, as I have used synergy before on all types of systems and it works very well.
  • »31.03.14 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Same here, I always got connection rejected with RealVNC.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »01.04.14 - 14:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I'll have a look at the issue...
  • »01.04.14 - 15:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I'll have a look at the issue...

Thank you jacadcaps, any help is greatly appreciated :)
  • »01.04.14 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well... I've downloaded and installed RealVNC on a random Windows 8 VM and connected to it via ZVNC - it just worked. So it's a bit hard to say what you did, but likely a mistake on your side on the RealVNC install/configuration.
  • »01.04.14 - 17:51
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

k8o wrote:
    I have tried for ages to get ZVNC to work with RealVNC running on Windows. I am using 3.3.7 as suggested in the ZVNC docs and I have port forwaded correctly.

Not being pedantic, but you shouldn't need to set up any port forwarding on your router if your server and client are on the same LAN. You may need to manually add the port as an exception to windows firewall in some cases though:

Quote:

Under Windows, VNC Server will attempt to add itself as an exception during installation to the current profile only. If this is not possible [...] then you will need to add an exception manually.

http://kb.realvnc.com/questions/39/How+do+I+allow+connections+through+my+firewall%3F

Can you connect to your Windows box using a different VNC client* (eg sys:applications/TwinVNC)?

*not Remote Desktop, which uses RDP.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »01.04.14 - 18:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

k8o wrote:
    I have tried for ages to get ZVNC to work with RealVNC running on Windows. I am using 3.3.7 as suggested in the ZVNC docs

And are you using the latest ZVNC from MorphOS itself (V2.1) or the older V1.5.1 from somewhere else (which comes with the docs)? I don't know if that would make any difference, but just came in my mind. Otherwise it could be that firewall / router misconfiguration issue...
  • »01.04.14 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Ok, so I re-installed RealVNC on Windows and instead of running it as a srvice I decided to use manual start/stop to load the server.

This time XVNC connects successfuly, wahey you might think..... but the behaviour is very strange.... My MorphOS mouse controls my Windows screen and the Windows mouse controls the MorphOS machine. Not exactly what I wanted.

I want my Windows mouse & keyboard to be the only one being able to send mouse strokes and keyboard commands to both computers.....

In synergy software, you can slide the mouse off the edge of the windows screen and have it appear on the morphos machine, this is ideal and what i'm trying to achieve.

I have tried numerous combinations of options but I just dont think its possible doing with these 2 softwares... we need something like Synergy.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated, thank you.
  • »02.04.14 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

k8o wrote:
    I have tried for ages to get ZVNC to work with RealVNC running on Windows. I am using 3.3.7 as suggested in the ZVNC docs

And are you using the latest ZVNC from MorphOS itself (V2.1) or the older V1.5.1 from somewhere else (which comes with the docs)? I don't know if that would make any difference, but just came in my mind. Otherwise it could be that firewall / router misconfiguration issue...

I am using ZVNC v1.5.1, I cant find the v2.1 that you talk about i've looked on the net, even the ZVNC homepage is still hosting v1.1.5....

Any link to the latest version would be much appreciated, thanks guys.
  • »02.04.14 - 17:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    As I tried to tell, it comes with MorphOS itself.. it's included in the ISO:

Ram Disk:> version file full MorphOSBoot:Applications/ZVNC/ZVNC
    zvnc Reloaded 2.1 (04.08.2013)
    © 2001 David Gerber <zapek@meanmachine.ch>, 2013 Jacek Piszczek/MorphOS-Team

If you don't have that, you've probably replaced it with an older one at some point. Or if Chrysalis pack replaces it, make a bugreport to Papiosaur.
  • »02.04.14 - 18:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    As I tried to tell, it comes with MorphOS itself.. it's included in the ISO:

Ram Disk:> version file full MorphOSBoot:Applications/ZVNC/ZVNC
    zvnc Reloaded 2.1 (04.08.2013)
    © 2001 David Gerber <zapek@meanmachine.ch>, 2013 Jacek Piszczek/MorphOS-Team

If you don't have that, you've probably replaced it with an older one at some point. Or if Chrysalis pack replaces it, make a bugreport to Papiosaur.

Hi, thanks for helping JPV i aprreciate it... I have found the latest version of zvnc now, and I am using it.... I can get it to work aswell, no problems.... what this lacks and what it needs for me to be any useful is for the single mouse to be able to slide freely between desktops... So using the mouse on Monitor 1 (Windows) and the slide off the right edge of the screen and it moves onto Screen 2 (MorphOS).

Using the current method it only allows use on one OS screen, the idea is to have 1 mouse and keyboard manage all connected computers, like Synergy does.
  • »02.04.14 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

k8o wrote:
    what this lacks and what it needs for me to be any useful is for the single mouse to be able to slide freely between desktops... So using the mouse on Monitor 1 (Windows) and the slide off the right edge of the screen and it moves onto Screen 2 (MorphOS).

Using the current method it only allows use on one OS screen, the idea is to have 1 mouse and keyboard manage all connected computers, like Synergy does.

That option isn't available, however you can configure hotkey(s) to switch between machines.
    You can create copies of zvnc and run multiple instances with different tooltypes, although you might want to rename the executables for clarity if you want to stop them in task manager f.ex.
    This allows you to connect to multiple machines, and with different hotkeys assigned to allow easy switching between multiple machines (I use F7, F8, etc) .

It's not quite as smooth as the Synergy off-screen method, but may be useful for you.

[ Edited by boot_wb 02.04.2014 - 19:48 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »02.04.14 - 18:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The new ZNVC offers fast switching using a hotkey under MorphOS. Not the same but quite convenient anyway.
  • »02.04.14 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    The new ZNVC offers fast switching using a hotkey under MorphOS. Not the same but quite convenient anyway.

Thanks 'jacadcaps' and 'boot_wb', i'll give that a try. I must say, I know we are a small community but the fast and friendly replies from everyone makes our little place a lovely place to be. Thanks.

[ Edited by k8o 02.04.2014 - 19:54 ]
  • »02.04.14 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Ok so the suggestion jacadcaps does work. The Problem with this is you still need 2 mice and keyboards your desk. The best solution (the way Synergy does it) is to allow only ONE kb&mouse to control all desktops that the synergy client is installed on. Thus making like so much simpler. The single mouse can slide between screens and Os'es effortlessly sharing mouse/kb/and other events negating the need for any more than ONE mouse and Keyboard. That would be my idea choice, and I'm happy to contribute some bounty to making it happen.

Thanks for everyones help so far, its been very helpful, cheers.
  • »02.04.14 - 18:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

k8o wrote:
    Ok so the suggestion jacadcaps does work. The Problem with this is you still need 2 mice and keyboards your desk.

Why? You only need these connected to your MorphOS machine.
  • »02.04.14 - 19:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

k8o wrote:
    Ok so the suggestion jacadcaps does work. The Problem with this is you still need 2 mice and keyboards your desk.

Why? You only need these connected to your MorphOS machine.

Ok I have tried what you suggested, and it does work, but you have to use the shortcut key every time you want to switch between each OS Screen.... sure this does work, and I cant complain. But I must say the Synergy approach is much more elegant, efficient, and user-freindly.

Regardless, I would just like to thank you all for your kind help in this matters, cheers.
  • »02.04.14 - 19:59
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

k8o wrote:

Ok I have tried what you suggested, and it does work, but you have to use the shortcut key every time you want to switch between each OS Screen.... sure this does work, and I cant complain. But I must say the Synergy approach is much more elegant, efficient, and user-freindly.

OK, we're one step away from being able to accomplish this, albeit a little hackishly, and only for multiple morphos machines, not windows/osx. All it will take is a relatively small update to VNC server: adding the abliilty to assign a hotkey to the 'kick' function in VNC server.

EDIT: @Jacadcaps - didn't realise you also worked on the VNC server, I just checked the 'About' box. Any chance you/Piru could add this feature? :-)

If/when this is done:
    - set up different zvnc instances using different hotkeys to connect.
    - set up hotcorner on the client machine, and assign appropriate hotkeys as required to connect.
    - set up hotcorner on each server machine and assign the (currently non-existent) 'kick user' hotkey to one or more of the corners as desired.

Result: synergy-like screen-edge (well, corner) migration between (up to 5) machines.
    By assigning opposite corners for 'connect' and 'kick user' for each machine respectively, the illusion of a continuous grid layout of screens (connected corner-to-corner) would be achieved

[for clarity: Synergy uses the opposite convention from VNC to describe servers/clients.
    On a synergy system there is one 'server' (with keyboard/mouse attached) and multiple 'clients' (remote machines). With VNC, there is one 'client' (with keyboard/mouse attached) and multiple 'servers' (remote machines). ]

[ Edited by boot_wb 03.04.2014 - 17:06 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »03.04.14 - 14:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • k8o
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    k8o
    thank you boot_wb for that very thorough explanation, it was very helpful. It's shame this will only work between other mos machines but i'm sure many people will find it useful. I can revert to the old RealVNC and ZVNC setup if I wish, but for now i'll probably just keep 2 kb and mice on my desktop, actually its 3 mice including my A1200 :D Anyway thanks for the fast and great work.
  • »03.04.14 - 15:33
    Profile Visit Website