Problems with Scribble
  • Just looking around
    Reth
    Hi altogether,

I'm just trying MOS 3.5.1 on a Powerbook G4 1,67 GHz. One thing I try to get up running is Scribble with my C++/C projects. But due to lack of documentation I do hardly make any progress.

One question for example is: How can I attach a session to an already existing project file?
    But more important: How to setup development projects? Did not get makefiles working in that manner that I can choose their targets and build my projects out of scribble.
    How does this work (as soon as I press the build button Scribble claims that it cannot find any makefile), i.e. how do I include makefiles correctly that they can be recognized?
    What can I provide as parameters within the project settings and how do I have to provide them?

For all these topics I could not find any documentation yet.

Anybody any idea here? Does someone use this tool for C++/C development within MOS?

Many thanks in advance
    Bye
  • »20.03.14 - 20:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    You write the Makefile.
  • »20.03.14 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    I noticed an odd problem with Scribble v1.2 recently - it wasn't saving a file that I had open with split view enabled. When I went back to 'normal' view I was able to save the file.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »20.03.14 - 23:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MaaG
    Quote:

Reth wrote:
    Does someone use this tool for C++/C development within MOS?
    Bye

I still use old, good CubicIDE with current MorphOS SDK
  • »21.03.14 - 07:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    I also add an question/issue: How does block selecting mode working?
  • »21.03.14 - 07:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Reth wrote:
    But more important: How to setup development projects?

The project stuff is sort of an add-on for regular makefile usage - partly because at MorphOS Team we're used to launching make from console ;) Generally, the build functionality will use the makefile at your project's root directory. The root directory is determined by default when you open a .c/h/etc file. Scribble then searches in that dir for default.sprj project file and if that isn't located, it traverses parent directories. The location of default.sprj will also be used as the root for automatic C code indexation.

So, save a project as default.sprj in the location where the root of your project is and make sure there's a makefile there.
  • »21.03.14 - 08:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Reth
    Thanks.

That's unfortune since I structured my project into subdirs for sources, headers, objects, binary and makefiles.
    Seems that won't fit.
  • »21.03.14 - 09:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Reth wrote:
    Thanks.

That's unfortune since I structured my project into subdirs for sources, headers, objects, binary and makefiles.
    Seems that won't fit.

A solution would be to softlink your makefile into the root dir of the project and put default.sprj there.
  • »21.03.14 - 10:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Reth wrote:
    Thanks.

Seems that won't fit.

A solution would be to softlink your makefile into the root dir of the project and put default.sprj there.

Or maybe cleaner, make a dummy Makefile in your root directory which calls the real one
  • »22.03.14 - 16:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:
    I also add an question/issue: How does block selecting mode working?

The idea is to start block mode (default is command-b) and then you change text selection with the cursor keys only. Currently it works in so-called "thin" mode which is a bit strange. I will change this for the next rease.
  • »22.03.14 - 16:54
  • Just looking around
    Reth
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:

This really did the job.
  • »22.03.14 - 20:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    I noticed an odd problem with Scribble v1.2 recently - it wasn't saving a file that I had open with split view enabled. When I went back to 'normal' view I was able to save the file.

OK, I managed to reproduce and fix that problem. Thanks for reporting. Feel free to also use the MorphOS bug reporting tool if you spot additional problems in the future. Feedback here is still appreciated though.
  • »22.03.14 - 21:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I just wondered why the Search function/option in Scribble, activated by R-Cmd+f/F (Amiga+f/F) doesn't 'Toggle' On on the first press of the key combination and then 'Off'/Deactivate when the key combination is pressed for a 2nd time, instead of having to manouevre the mouse to click on the close '[x]'? as it would be much easier for that to happen, and then if you wanted to do a 2nd or subsequent search you could just re-activate it and the cursor would 'pop' back into the field and you wouldn't need to have to manoeuvre the mouse pointer back into that text field all over again - it's just for ease of use.

The same applies to the 'Cmd+r' (search-replace) option, along with the other search options that are activated by the combined keypress but aren't de-activated by the same combination keypress which only seems logical to make it function that way - any thoughts on this subject by other users?

The same issue is inherent in OWB as well, and would be better modified to the same way of working 'toggled on/off' for the same reasons.

If it's better to have a new topic created for OWB then I've no problem doing that, though maybe the Dev team could pass the request onto Fab for it to be considered, thanks. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »06.02.17 - 19:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I just wondered why the Search function/option in Scribble, activated by R-Cmd+f/F (Amiga+f/F) doesn't 'Toggle' On on the first press of the key combination and then 'Off'/Deactivate when the key combination is pressed for a 2nd time, instead of having to manouevre the mouse to click on the close '[x]'? as it would be much easier for that to happen, ...

I don´t know anything about the 3.9 version of Scribble, but the most recent version has been improved in so many ways.

However that specific issue is long gone. With ESC you return focus to editor without closing and with Shift -ESC key same happens, but this time the entire bottom section gets closed. No clue how much of this is in the "old" version.

It is quite handy as you can simply remove the entire bottom panel and getting the text field maxed out without using multiple key combos to remove each section on its own and hell the new version has alot of them. :)

[ Edited by geit 06.02.2017 - 23:16 ]
  • »06.02.17 - 22:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Scribble release for MOS 3.9 was at version 1.5, AFAIK, and that's the version I'm using.

The ESC key does exactly what you say it does, but it's not documented anywhere, that I can find, in the Guide for Scribble. :-?

In fact there do not seem to be any keyboard shortcuts/commands listed in those documents, is anyone in the Dev team going to implement this information into the Scribble. guide?

The Shift-ESC option doesn't seem to do anything in Scribble v1.5 that I have with MOS 3.9 - so that part is presumably in the yet to be released version of Scribble that will be in MOS 3.10 I suppose.

I just don't know why the options don't 'toggle on/off' these features as that would close the feature that was requested and would be far more logical, so it would be a better solution to the functiionality of the features, IMHO.

I might as well mention here that when I type the keyboard ± or ß or © or ® or ³ or ² or µ then Scribble offers a'?' but when I reload the saved document it loads them correctly which seems weirdly inconsistent - is this a known issue/bug?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.02.17 - 03:40
    connor
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    However that specific issue is long gone. With ESC you return focus to editor without closing and with Shift -ESC key same happens, but this time the entire bottom section gets closed. No clue how much of this is in the "old" version.

In Scribble it was already present for some versions but in OWB not. And many more people use OWB than Scribble. So is this behaviour fixed for the current OWB as well? Yet we have to wait months, years ... for it to come out.
  • »07.02.17 - 16:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

I just don't know why the options don't 'toggle on/off' these features as that would close the feature that was requested and would be far more logical, so it would be a better solution to the functiionality of the features, IMHO.

Toggling is bad, as you may want to search again or simply continue searching after you used e.g. ESC to edit the last finding. In that case you press the hotkey again and return to find mode, while you solution would remove the search field and you need to press the key combination once again to reopen it.

The close all option in future scribble works nice and without any side effects.

Quote:

I might as well mention here that when I type the keyboard ± or ß or © or ® or ³ or ² or µ then Scribble offers a'?' but when I reload the saved document it loads them correctly which seems weirdly inconsistent - is this a known issue/bug?

It is probably UTF mode releated. We sorted out a few bugs there recently and it works nicly now.
  • »07.02.17 - 18:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

geit wrote: Toggling is bad, as you may want to search again or simply continue searching after you used e.g. ESC to edit the last finding. In that case you press the hotkey again and return to find mode, while you solution would remove the search field and you need to press the key combination once again to reopen it.

Toggling is still GOOD . . . I just re-checked that even though the search area is removed, once you re-initiate the search area the text you wanted to search for re-appears 'highlighted' in the search area, so you can continue where you left off, or just over-type.

So, Toggling would be beneficially GOOD. :-D

The same applies to the Search-Replace Option (Cmd+r/R) - the previously searched for replaced text is carried back into the search/replace areas of the windows, so it would be a really, really Good Thing :-D to allow this 'Toggle' feature rather than some illogical keypress that isn't even documented - and have my requested, and case proved 'Toggle' functionality applied to OWB as well - don't you think? ;-)

It probably works the same way for any other text options that are built into Scintilla/Scribble.
    Quote:

geit wrote:The close all option in future scribble works nice and without any side effects.

I will have to wait for that release as it's as far we users are concerned - it's still in the 'works'.
    Quote:

NewSense previously wrote: I might as well mention here that when I type the keyboard ± or ß or © or ® or ³ or ² or µ then Scribble offers a'?' but when I reload the saved document it loads them correctly which seems weirdly inconsistent - is this a known issue/bug?

Quote:

geit replied:It is probably UTF mode related. We sorted out a few bugs there recently and it works nicely now.

That may well be true, but again I will have to wait and test it myself once MOS v3.10 has been released, and installed on my system. 8-)
  • »07.02.17 - 19:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

NewSense
    Toggling is still GOOD . . . I just re-checked that even though the search area is removed, once you re-initiate the search area the text you wanted to search for re-appears 'highlighted' in the search area, so you can continue where you left off

No, I would hate the search panel autoclosing after every search, so that won't happen.

I typically do multiple searches by pressing the return key until I get to the place I'm looking for (or search next/prev) and then esc to get the editor into focus. I also like to see which options and string I'm looking for when doing that.

Besides, there is no need no use the mouse: you can use the shortcuts and the tab keys.
  • »08.02.17 - 13:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    No, the search panel is not intended to close automatically - unless the user toggles it off manually - by pressing Cmd+f/F or Cmd+r/R again/second time.

So, first combined keypress - Cmd+f/F to initiate it, and use it, and a 2nd combined keypress - Cmd+f/F to deactivate it/hide it away again, until it is needed again, but it retains the original search data - as long as the system hasn't been rebooted, AFAIK.

There has not been any mention of the search process being automatically closed, it opens on command, and closes on command - that is what I would hope anyone with a logical mind would want/expect this feature to do, and the same with the Replace option

[ Edited by NewSense 08.02.2017 - 18:20 ]
  • »08.02.17 - 18:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    I don't see what's particularly logical about that and frankly I haven't heard anyone else having that opinion.

Personally, I always have the find panel open and use command-f from time to time to get to the Find string for a new search. I even do that from within the panel itself. I don't see any benefit at all of that making the panel toggle away.

And as Geit said, shift-esc will hide the panel if needed in the upcoming version.

As for documentation, I fully agree with you that this is an area that is deperately lacking and it's even worse with all the new features that have been added in the last year :-(
  • »08.02.17 - 19:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    I would like to have a search history, so cursor-up/down within the search field would cycle through all previously used search-strings!
  • »08.02.17 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    yes, that would indeed be nice. It's been of my todo for 5 years but there is still hope ;-)
  • »08.02.17 - 20:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Nadir wrote: I don't see what's particularly logical about that and frankly I haven't heard anyone else having that opinion.

What is more logical than to use the combined keypress to activate it, then to de-activate it?
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:And as Geit said, shift-esc will hide the panel if needed in the upcoming version.

Now that IS illogical - for a combined keypress to be totally different than the one you used to activate it, and something which is not even documented - that's something you'd expect it to be? :-?
    Quote:

Nadir wrote: ... I always have the find panel open ...

That takes up space at the bottom of the editing field, so eliminating it/putting it to sleep, when it's not required seems a good idea, logical.
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:I don't see any benefit at all of that making the panel toggle away.

Then I don't know what to say to you :-?
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:As for documentation, I fully agree with you that this is an area that is deperately lacking and it's even worse with all the new features that have been added in the last year :-(

And, if this point hadn't been asked about, by me, then you'd probably never have worked out how illogical the keypress, combined kepress currently is, so how would a new user find their way around using it, certainly not logically.
  • »08.02.17 - 20:34
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Currently I am experiencing a strange problem with Scribble (from the 3.10dev SDK). Yesterday I did some small example programs with it (working through the C-Primer Plus by Stephen Prata, yay! ;-) ) which went fine.

Today I wanted to open these .c files with Scribble but I got a complete freeze every time (MorphOS 3.9 on a Powerbook 5,8). Starting Scribble --> works, opening some other file via open icon --> works, opening my .c-files from yesterday --> freeze. Opening these same .c-files with Multiview/more/Ed just works.

So I created a new simple HelloWorld.c with Scribble and saved it --> works. Curiously, after creating and saving the new file, I can now also open the .c-files from yesterday without crashing the machine! After a reboot I can open my newly created HelloWorld.c, but the ones from yesterday still freeze the machine... I also checked the filesystem of my partition, but SFS says it's fine.

The only 'special' thing I did with these .c-files is to try out a few of the code-formatting options (GNU, Linux, etc.).

Interesting... Can anyone reproduce this?
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »13.04.17 - 16:15