Problems with yweather sbar
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Another problem is that when I start MOS then the program doesn't work on startup every two times. It stops the entire bootup until it gives up and let's the rest of the OS load. This is quite annoying and should be fixed.

What do yo mean with " until it gives up"?

But the other times it boot ups normally?

Maybe its because the network isn't up finally or the yahoo server has problems replying...

I'll add a delay on startup maybe this could help.

Or I could put the download part into an own process...
  • »17.03.14 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Those times this happens there seems to be a time-out and no weather information shows up. It usually a minute or so later though.

Giving it it's own process seems like a good idea :-)

[edit] OK, maybe it's was a bad idea.

[ Edited by Yasu 17.03.2014 - 18:07 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »17.03.14 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    And how can I trigger a MUIM_CleanUp/MUIM_SetUp?

You shouldn't do that, really. MUIM_Cleanup/Setup will be called on your sbar whenever its settings change.

Quote:

Or I could put the download part into an own process...

Please do not use networking on the intuition ScreenManager thread. This will lead to your pluggin getting blacklisted. I will make sure bsdsocket.library cannot be opened from that process with the next MorphOS release so better fix your sbar. There is an easy to use MUIM_Slave class which you should use for that purpose.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 17.03.2014 - 16:33 ]
  • »17.03.14 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    And how can I trigger a MUIM_CleanUp/MUIM_SetUp?

You shouldn't do that, really. MUIM_Cleanup/Setup will be called on your sbar whenever its settings change.

Hmm, here I don't get MUIM_Cleanup/Setup calls after I change some settings and press "Use" or "Save"!?

I would need this to renew the update-interval in the MUIM_App_InputHandler.
    Or should I do MUIM_App_RemInputHandler/AddInputHandler in MUIM_UpdateConfig?
    This would be IMHO to much "overhead", it would be better I do this only after the user pressed "Use" or "Save".

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Please do not use networking on the intuition ScreenManager thread. This will lead to your pluggin getting blacklisted. I will make sure bsdsocket.library cannot be opened from that process with the next MorphOS release so better fix your sbar. There is an easy to use MUIM_Slave class which you should use for that purpose.

Ok, I'm now using MUIC_Slave to download the weather data in an own thread.
    Works quite good and was very easy! Thanks for this class!

BTW: The new version is now online!
  • »17.03.14 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Hmm, here I don't get MUIM_Cleanup/Setup calls after I change some settings and press "Use" or "Save"!?

OK, in your case it might indeed not be called. It shouldn't be a problem if you rem/add the inputhandler in MUIM_UpdateConfig - the penalty for these calls isn't much and it'll only be done when user is playing with settings.
  • »18.03.14 - 09:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Quote:

igracki wrote:

Thanks! Could you give the possibilty to show the text only?
  • »18.03.14 - 09:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    Quote:

igracki wrote:

Thanks! Could you give the possibilty to show the text only?

Just rename/delete the directory sys:Data/yWeather/Icons/ should work;)
    Be sure to leave the "en-us_locale.prefs" there, if you didn't use the internal (english) language, its used to convert the english dates to current locale.
  • »18.03.14 - 12:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    just renaming the icons directory would produce a small colored box in front of the text...

So there is a new version is online, with an option to not display the condition image in the screenbar.
  • »21.03.14 - 20:06
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    @igracki:

Thanks! Problem is, without the condition images the text isn't centered in the screenbar, but it is slightly aligned to the bottom, so it looks a litte bit bogus.
  • »22.03.14 - 07:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Thanks a lot Thomas for this new sreenbar module for MorphOS !

Could i add it to the pack Chrysalis ?

Yes, sure!

Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    @igracki:

Thanks! Problem is, without the condition images the text isn't centered in the screenbar, but it is slightly aligned to the bottom, so it looks a litte bit bogus.

Hmm, here it makes no difference!
    with image:
    withImage.png

without image:
    withoutImage.png

@jaca:
    Is it possible to get the width of the text?
    So I could automatically resize the width of the sbar to the currently needed width!
    I use a normal TextObject.
  • »22.03.14 - 18:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    How about user configurable string? User could write any text to be shown with some special characters to include weather information.

For example %i could be weather image, %c temperature in celcius, %f in fahrenheit, %w wind speed, %d wind direction etc.

Then user coud write string in config like "%i Temp: %c Wind: %w - %d"

Just like Clock.sbar is for example... I'd love that :)
  • »22.03.14 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I like the yWeather bar, and version 1.5 in particular works better than any of the other versions, for me.

The only thing I have found is that the image size, for the weather that is forecast, is too small to see what it is in my menu bar/sbar.

I just see a small square in the titlebar that is too small to tell other than it is next to the text of the weather, so I have removed it until there is a way of sizing the image so that it is as tall/high, and respectively the same width, as the menu bar, less a pixel or so to make sure it fits within the menu bar, is this possible, or have I overlooked a setting that there already is to adjust the size of the weather icon in the menu/sbar?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.03.14 - 23:17
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

I just see a small square in the titlebar that is too small to tell other than it is next to the text of the weather

If that is solid one color square, you probably have old icons in SYS:Data/yWeather (from the version which wasn't sbar module yet). Replace whole dir from the latest archive to get them fixed.
  • »24.03.14 - 05:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Ah!, you're right, I had the old icons as I didn't think that would make any difference, swapped them, and works a charm - thanks jPV
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.03.14 - 23:42
    boot_wb
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    just renaming the icons directory would produce a small colored box in front of the text...

So there is a new version is online, with an option to not display the condition image in the screenbar.

Hi Thomas,

A couple of bugs to report:

1) Quick help doesn't operate as a screenbar's quick-help should.
    eg - (With RMB>Settings>MUI>Help>Quick help disappears... set to "when mouse leaves object".)
    When moving between screenbar modules, yWeather's quick help can remain open when other screenbars' quick help become active. Normal behaviour is 'mouse leaves object' occurs (quick help disappears) when moving between screenbar modules. Styling appears slightly different too.

2) Module appears to freeze the screenbar on all screens except Ambient when used on multiple screens. Remains frozen even after disabling the screenbar module (rmb on screen depth gadget>modules) for screens alreasy open. Ambient screenbar, however remains active.

Seemed to be the same for the previous (non screenbar module) version too.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »25.03.14 - 01:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Hi Thomas,

eg - (With RMB>Settings>MUI>Help>Quick help disappears... set to "when mouse leaves object".)
    When moving between screenbar modules, yWeather's quick help can remain open when other screenbars' quick help become active. Normal behaviour is 'mouse leaves object' occurs (quick help disappears) when moving between screenbar modules. Styling appears slightly different too.

Thats because my quick help is a custom quickhelp using MOUSEHOVER feature of intuition, to be opened immediatly when the mouse is hovering my sbar.
    Unfortunately I only get the HOVERSTOP command if you move the mouse out of the complete screenbar.
    I could use MUIs quick help, but then it wouldn't open immediately like now...

Quote:

2) Module appears to freeze the screenbar on all screens except Ambient when used on multiple screens. Remains frozen even after disabling the screenbar module (rmb on screen depth gadget>modules) for screens alreasy open. Ambient screenbar, however remains active.

Are you sure you used latest v1.5?
    Because this v1.5 uses an slave task for downloading the weather data, previous versions did this withing the PublicScreenManager task which "freezes" other sbars (clock doesn't update).

I also use multiples screens here (ambient, owb, yam) but w/o such freezings.
  • »25.03.14 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Hi Thomas,

Thats because my quick help is a custom quickhelp using MOUSEHOVER feature of intuition, to be opened immediatly when the mouse is hovering my sbar.
    Unfortunately I only get the HOVERSTOP command if you move the mouse out of the complete screenbar.
    I could use MUIs quick help, but then it wouldn't open immediately like now...

Quote:

Are you sure you used latest v1.5?
    Because this v1.5 uses an slave task for downloading the weather data, previous versions did this withing the PublicScreenManager task which "freezes" other sbars (clock doesn't update).

I also use multiples screens here (ambient, owb, yam) but w/o such freezings.

Strange, it seems to be working now. I thought I'd fully removed the old yweather before testing, but its possible I hadn't. Will keep an eye out and let you know if it recurs.
    Thanks, it's a very useful application, and a bit more compact than having Wetter on the desktop (although I currently use both!)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »25.03.14 - 14:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Really nice, little thing, very small and I am so pleased :)
  • »25.03.14 - 17:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

zbysiuk wrote:
    Really nice, little thing, very small and I am so pleased :)

Thanks!

BTW, a new version is available.
    Now you have configurable format for the displayed text!
  • »25.03.14 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    So, is even better - thanks
  • »25.03.14 - 20:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Would it be possible not to get an error message if it fails to load on startup? It would be better if it just ignore the problem and tried again 30 seconds later or something.

My MorphOS blog
  • »05.04.14 - 11:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    A new version is available with automatically adjusted width (no more unused space in the sbar!), also the vertical position should be like others (f.e. Clock).
    I also removed the warning requester.
    If the weather data couldn't be retrieved at startup, I retry it every 5 seconds until it succeeded.
    The all-info-bubble is now a normal shorthelp bubble, so it only pop ups after some seconds.

[ Edited by igracki 07.04.2014 - 16:21 ]
  • »07.04.14 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Hallo Tomas!
    I've just installed 1.7 - one thing, after reseting yWeather "meditating", waiting for data from Yahoo, I have to click on it and then working smoothly...
  • »07.04.14 - 19:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @igracki

I actually liked that you would see detailed information the moment you put the pointer over the bar. Maybe you could make it optional?

My MorphOS blog
  • »08.04.14 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website