Fantastic Job on 3.4
  • Just looking around
    Jason
    I've been using MorphOS on and off since 2.x on a Mac Mini. I just fired it up again today to try 3.4 and I must say I'm very happy with the progress that has been made.

Everything seems to work great. I can do all of my regular computing tasks on it now which to me is very impressive. OWB is quite the feat as well; very complete and usable.

As a result of my experience I have ordered a powerbook and a compatible wifi card for it. I'll be getting another license too.

Is there any discount for existing customers to license another machine?

I'd also like to ask about the developers of MorhpOS. I'd like to know more about you all. Are there any interviews online? Did any of you work for Amiga in the past? Do you intend on working on this project indefinitely? What are your philosophies in regards to computing?

As an aside, what will become of MorphOS in the future? This old mac hardware won't last forever. They are quite well built machines, but failure is inevitable. Hopefully there is an upgrade path in the future, but who knows? I can't see PPC being around forever in a usable form. Any thoughts? Will MorphOS build upon AROS if necessary?

Outside of the Amiga-like OS, and perhaps Haiku and some more obscure OS, the idea of being lightweight, efficient, and close to the hardware is an almost a foregone idea. It makes me very happy to see that there is still life in the realm of single-user, bare-metal, and efficiency-oriented computing. General purpose computing, I fear, is something that may go away in the future, notwithstanding the types of (what some consider crazy) computing that amiga-like OS have to offer. I hope this project stays around for a long time, long after PCs have been antiquated by tablets and so forth.

Thanks for this wonderful experience.

[ Edited by Jason 10.01.2014 - 23:54 ]
  • »11.01.14 - 05:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    For the interviews, open the "About MorphOS" window in the Ambient menu to see the name of the developpers.

Then find some interviews of these noce guys on the Obligement magazine :

http://obligement.free.fr/entrevues.php
    http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction.php
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »11.01.14 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Jason,

I like you have been using MorphOS on and off since 2.x....I've done some programming and tutorials in the past and got the itch to get back into it after about a 2 1/2 year break. I have a Mac Mini 1.5Ghz and have now purchased a Powerbook 5,8 Model, 1.67Ghz/NetGear WG511T card for about $80 and another license for $150. I am thoroughly enjoying it and agree that the progress has been astounding. I'd like to thank the programmers as well!

IKE
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB