PuhDerBear: Paula to AHI re-director for MorphOS?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    XDelusion
    For Amithlon, there is a nifty little tool called PuhDerBear, as well as a couple other such as NewBear

http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/newbaer

Which redirect all audio that depends upon the Paula chip, to AHI instead, thus allowing Amithlon access to more classic apps than any other next gen Amiga OS alternative.

So I am wondering, what is to prevent someone from writing a tool like PuhDerBear for MorphOS?

Likewise, what is to prevent someone with the coding skills to write something like The Maestrix for MorphOS?

http://aminet.net/package.php?package=util/libs/TheMaestrix.lha

MorphOS was created to keep the Amiga legacy alive when all looked bleak for Amiga OS/Workbench. So it has always boggled my mind that no effort (and I don't say this to sound jaded) has been put into stretching backwards compatibility as much as possible. If we had programs such as these, all new doors would be opened on our beloved MorphOS machines.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »31.12.13 - 19:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    After living with them this long, I'm not sure I WANT to appeal to the Amiga masses.
    They are a demanding, whiny, critical bunch of mofos.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »31.12.13 - 22:02
    XDelusion
    Damn straight! Sounds just like me! :)

• »01.01.14 - 03:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    I've asked about PuhDerBear in the past and the response was something along the lines of "not interested".

I'd through something into a bounty if there was one. I'd find this very useful. I'd be nice to use Payback PPC executable, just as one example!
  • »01.01.14 - 14:14
    XDelusion
    That's sad to hear. Seems it would be a LOT easier to write a program such as this than to wait for someone to come along and write a slew of MorphOS native apps that attempt to accomplish the same thing as their Amiga counterpart. What's the point of a great OS with very few productive apps, and once more, what's the point of a next gen Amiga if no one is concerned about improving backwards compatibility as much as possible? It's not like MorphOS is trying to compete with Windows, Linux, or OS X, and can't afford to waste time on such ventures. The only people who use MorphOS are old Amiga users so it would only make perfect sense.

• »01.01.14 - 17:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @XDelusion

perhaps someone could port nallepuh over to MOS? it's available for AOS4 and helps with applications which don't use audio.device and insist on reading/writing to registers on paula. the source is available on aminet, too.

-- eliyahu
  • »01.01.14 - 17:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    IIRC porting PuhDerBear would require knowledge of internal MorphOS/Quark APIs. And I am not sure is it worth of it.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »01.01.14 - 18:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    That patch look generic one and should work out of the box on MorphOS.
  • »01.01.14 - 21:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > That patch look generic one and should work out of the box on MorphOS.

Yes, dedicated thread there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6346&forum=16&start=7

There it can be read that the newest version of the patch doesn't work on MorphOS, but an older one does.
  • »01.01.14 - 23:39
    XDelusion
    Looking at NallePUH, it appears that it is for AmigaOS 3.5. I'm not sure what benefit it would be on a real Amiga, but anyhow...
    So I downloaded it, intalled the MuLib.library then tried to run the NallePUH via GUI, but it said I need to have OS 3.5 installed and that I lacked MuLib.library version 41. The one that came with NullePUH. So I tried to run it via command line, and it continued to say that I lacked MuLib.library version 41.

• »02.01.14 - 02:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > That patch look generic one and should work out of the box on MorphOS.

Yes, dedicated thread there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6346&forum=16&start=7

There it can be read that the newest version of the patch doesn't work on MorphOS, but an older one does.

Okay. Maybe author could be contacted and ask if he could provide MorphOS patch.
  • »02.01.14 - 05:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

XDelusion wrote:
    Looking at NallePUH, it appears that it is for AmigaOS 3.5. I'm not sure what benefit it would be on a real Amiga, but anyhow...
    So I downloaded it, intalled the MuLib.library then tried to run the NallePUH via GUI, but it said I need to have OS 3.5 installed and that I lacked MuLib.library version 41. The one that came with NullePUH. So I tried to run it via command line, and it continued to say that I lacked MuLib.library version 41.

It requires 68k MMU. It is not emulated in MorphOS and low level apps using MMU must be adapted to use Quark MMU API. It could be done, AFAIK it needs no more than installing page fault handler in Quark. UInfortunately at least I have got large backlog of unfinished work I have to clear out first.
  • »02.01.14 - 05:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Quote:

XDelusion wrote:

It requires 68k MMU. It is not emulated in MorphOS and low level apps using MMU must be adapted to use Quark MMU API. It could be done, AFAIK it needs no more than installing page fault handler in Quark. UInfortunately at least I have got large backlog of unfinished work I have to clear out first.

Did your backlog clear out yet? ;-)

Would a small bounty help? I think NullePUH would be popular amongst end users.
  • »05.08.14 - 19:50
    polluks
    Quote:

itix schrieb:

The ABox cannot call SYS_MMUAddPage and SYS_MMUGetEntry, right? OS4 has full MMU access :-(
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »07.08.14 - 13:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Quote:

XDelusion wrote:

Did your backlog clear out yet? ;-)

Would a small bounty help? I think NullePUH would be popular amongst end users.

LOL, I just was 3 weeks in China and after that 2 weeks in Spain, I just returned to home yesterday =P I completed less than I was hoping for...

Quote:

The ABox cannot call SYS_MMUAddPage and SYS_MMUGetEntry, right? OS4 has full MMU access :-(

ABox can call Quark but they are not available to immortals. Regular applications dont need such access.
  • »09.08.14 - 20:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > ABox can call Quark but they are not available to immortals.

This is fine then I guess as it shouldn't apply to the majority of people ;-)
  • »09.08.14 - 21:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > ABox can call Quark but they are not available to immortals.

This is fine then I guess as it shouldn't apply to the majority of people ;-)

Oh, oops :-D MorphOS users are immortal, developers not ;-)
  • »10.08.14 - 05:44
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

XDelusion wrote:

There is an OS4 port of it
    http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=audio/misc/nallepuh.lha

Even there is CIA emulator (what would CIA say :-)
    http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=emulation/misc/ciagent.lha

However, it hasn`t been updated since 2004, and it would require some testing to see does it work at all and with which apps.

I always wished that once there is 68k CPU JIT emulation that is nice and fast, OS4 and MOS could just have some extra layer emulating CIA and full AGA to make UAE not needed. But now it seems UAE JIT for PPC will take that away. But it would be kind of more Amigish to have it within OS than to know we use the same full box emulation as any other ...
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »13.08.14 - 23:40
  • Just looking around
    Pete
    Hi to all,

@ MOS devs : PuhDerBear or something written to achieve the same goal for MOS is something I REALLY want more than anything else. I know that MOS is developed to be a current modern operating system but the backwards support for legacy Amiga applications is extremely important to me and no doubt most other MOS users. Can I please add my voice to the request for Paula redirection under MOS so that at least the audio applications banging the old hardware chipset can run under MOS.

[ Edited by Pete 14.08.2014 - 18:09 ]
  • »14.08.14 - 21:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    It makes no sense for just two games that were coded bad.

As suggested earlier it makes more sense to fix the real problem (the games), instead of adding some hack to the system.

MorphOS is a NG OS, which is designed to be compatible with the AmigaOS at maximum performance. These software titles mentioned here, are banging the hardware. So they are simply not supported like other games.

If they cause problems, use UAE. If they are PPC based, you should ask for the reason, why they used "modern" PPC CPUs and even graphic cards, but failed to do the same with audio hardware.

Even using AHI if available and banging the hardware if not, was possible at that time. (BoulderDäsh is doing that for audio and video output) These coders made a bad choice and it is not our job to clean up their mess.

Geit
  • »15.08.14 - 09:22
    polluks
    Quote:

geit schrieb:

As suggested earlier it makes more sense to fix the real problem (the games), instead of adding some hack to the system.

MorphOS is a NG OS, which is designed to be compatible with the AmigaOS at maximum performance. These software titles mentioned here, are banging the hardware. So they are simply not supported like other games.

If they cause problems, use UAE. If they are PPC based, you should ask for the reason, why they used "modern" PPC CPUs and even graphic cards, but failed to do the same with audio hardware.

Even using AHI if available and banging the hardware if not, was possible at that time. (BoulderDäsh is doing that for audio and video output) These coders made a bad choice and it is not our job to clean up their mess.

Geit

Sorry, in my opinion QBox is (or will be) the NG OS and ABox is (or should be) for legacy. C'mon, we are talking about an extra patch, not a Quark built-in.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »15.08.14 - 15:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Geit

I wonder if a bounty for patching OctaMED would attract many donors?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »15.08.14 - 15:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Pete wrote:
    Hi to all,

@ MOS devs : PuhDerBear or something written to achieve the same goal for MOS is something I REALLY want more than anything else. I know that MOS is developed to be a current modern operating system but the backwards support for legacy Amiga applications is extremely important to me and no doubt most other MOS users. Can I please add my voice to the request for Paula redirection under MOS so that at least the audio applications banging the old hardware chipset can run under MOS.

I'm in talks with one of the MorphOS Team developer about bounty for that but don't hold your breath. Will keep you updated if anything comes up out of that.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »15.08.14 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Pete
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Hi, I was refering to legacy audio applications rather than games. I understand your point but patching each application would require a bigger investment in time.

Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    I wonder if a bounty for patching OctaMED would attract many donors?
    I hope so because Octamed SS is at the top of my wish list :)

Quote:

pampers wrote:
    I'm in talks with one of the MorphOS Team developer about bounty for that but don't hold your breath. Will keep you updated if anything comes up out of that.

That's great news! Thank-you and I hope very much that it comes to fruition.
  • »15.08.14 - 21:14