What application to play CDs ?
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    macsociety
    What application that comes with stock MOS 3.x install plays CDs?

If not a stock application, what can I download to do so?

I tried Aminetradio app but for the life of me can't see where to select and play CD.

Thanks

TJ
  • »18.12.13 - 23:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well Ambient has built-in support for music files, so I suppose I'd just open the CD and click on my selections.

But if you want a listing of music players, there are here:

http://files.morphos.pl/categories/music/players
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.12.13 - 01:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

macsociety wrote:
    What application that comes with stock MOS 3.x install plays CDs? TJ

If you double-click on an audio CD, or right click when hovering over an audio CD icon then choose OPEN you can then, when it opens, see the tracks displayed, which show as WAV files, which if you then double-click on them they will open a minimal player in the top menu bar with the track details found, plus a pause and stop button.

If you want to play a whole CD, track by track or a specific track then use MPlayer, or if you want to rip a CD then I use Code Audio, which the author will send you a registration keyfile if you send him an email. There is also Flacapella to rip audio from CDs which you may find useful.

Some of the CD players specifically programmed for MorphOS I have nof found that stable or run very well, but I don't normally listen to a CD as I tend to MP3 whatever I want to playback, but hope you found some of the suggestions useful.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.12.13 - 02:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    http://aminet.net/package/disk/cdrom/MOS_CDPlayer

I wrote it about ten years ago and it is still good but I dont use CDs anymore =P
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »19.12.13 - 06:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I use SongPlayer for CDs. Click the CD icon (second from right) to read CD tracks list in and then it plays through AHI.

itix: CDPlayer makes a hit in log nowadays, could you check it out?

Flacapella is really great program to rip audio CDs to flac and mp3. I don't use any other programs for that anymore. It fetches the song information and cover images from the net etc... and of course can even embed images to mp3s too etc.
  • »19.12.13 - 07:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    jPV, it is probably fixed already in new version but I havent managed to release new version where I added new features but it is not finished.

Maybe I can take a look at it again...
  • »19.12.13 - 08:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You may also use KAYA, which is shipped with the MOS 1.4x distribution (CD ans MP3-Player)....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »19.12.13 - 10:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    SongPlayer is a good tool but sadly it is no more updated. It could need some bugfixes.
  • »19.12.13 - 18:06
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    macsociety
    itix,
    Quote:

Downloaded but does not appear to work with my MorphOS 3.1. I install it, launch it, does not detect CD at all, then my Mini locks up and freezes.

Some CDs let me open and no use any app and just play the wav file. Other like thew new Boston CD, for some reason will not play the wav file on them and errors out. Maybe some kind of protection on new CDs or something?

Anyway, thanks for the tips everyone.

TJ
  • »19.12.13 - 18:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    macsociety
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I use SongPlayer for CDs. Click the CD icon (second from right) to read CD tracks list in and then it plays through AHI.

itix: CDPlayer makes a hit in log nowadays, could you check it out?

Flacapella is really great program to rip audio CDs to flac and mp3. I don't use any other programs for that anymore. It fetches the song information and cover images from the net etc... and of course can even embed images to mp3s too etc.

SongPlayer worked nicely, even on the new Boston CD.\

This one is a keeper.

Thanks

TJ
  • »19.12.13 - 18:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Interesting... though I am sure I have tried it on my Mac mini too :) but I try to try it soon.
  • »19.12.13 - 21:30
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    macsociety
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Interesting... though I am sure I have tried it on my Mac mini too :) but I try to try it soon.

I tried both putting the CD in before and after launching the app but both times it does not seem to want to read it. I see a dialog box appear with a button about auto detect, and clicking that button does not make it see the CD either. The window does not go away and after clicking a couple more times, the system locks up, for me.

Could be something I am doing as I am not very familiar with MorphOS but I seem to be fine using SongPlayer anyway.

It read the CD and played it, as any player should/would.

Maybe my CD unit is flaky? Of course it works with SongPlayer so hard to say it is a bad CD unit, but one never knows.

Thanks anyway for the help.

I have MOS 3.1 btw in case that made any difference.

I need to update to 3.4 one day but I don't use MOS much so just one more thing I need to do sometime.

TJ
  • »19.12.13 - 23:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    More likely CD Player is faulty. CD Player defaults to an ancient analog audio player mode (it sends a command to CD unit to play audio cd) but it is rarely supported in modern ages. SongPlayer is using CDDA read commands (digital playback) and CD Player has this mode too but it has to be enabled from settings.

I have to investigate this but I dont think there is anything wrong with your CD unit.
  • »20.12.13 - 08:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    More likely CD Player is faulty. CD Player defaults to an ancient analog audio player mode (it sends a command to CD unit to play audio cd) but it is rarely supported in modern ages.

I have to investigate this but I dont think there is anything wrong with your CD unit.

I just get lock-ups/freezes with MOS-CDPlayer on my Mac Mini with MOS 3.2, so I just don't use it.

I think there must be a few bugs in the program, so the sooner you can check it through again the better as we are all a bit short on capable, or even working, direct CD audio players.

I didn't see an option to select which device the CD/DVD device is attached to, and I certainly never heard any music from it before it totally froze my system.

Basically MOS-CDPlayer needs more options in settings to be able to adapt to control devices other than internal drives, as there are USB capable CD/DVD drives these too should be supported, that is just one example.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »22.12.13 - 03:26
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    CD Player works fine here either the older version reported by Itix or the newer:
    http://amigazeux.net/cdplayer/
    The version avalaible in the link above is 2.1 and has more options inside its settings window.
    It has audio controls, waveform analyser and it can use AminetRadio visual plugins and DSP effects (i'd like to have some more than only two...).
    Song Player and Kaya works well for cd audio too. AminetRadio it's not good: play cds but slow audio and glitches.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »22.12.13 - 10:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    CD Player works fine here either the older version reported by Itix or the newer:
    http://amigazeux.net/cdplayer/
    The version avalaible in the link above is 2.1 and has more options inside its settings window.
    It has audio controls, waveform analyser and it can use AminetRadio visual plugins and DSP effects (i'd like to have some more than only two...).

Yes .... that version - 2.1 of CD Player works well. THANKS for that link

I never knew it existed, and it's not shown on the MorphOS Files website, so it needs to be uploaded there so everyone knows it's available.

Version 1.2 of MOS-CDPlayer still just locks up my system, and has no settings but version 2.1 is simple, but works nicely, and is simplicity itself to setup, not too many controls, just enough to play an audio CD with the minimum of effort, and that was the first time I've used it.

So I've removed 1.2 (consigned to trash)

[ Edited by NewSense 23.12.2013 - 01:32 ]
  • »23.12.13 - 02:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Ah, sorry. I forgot that newer version was distributed via amigazeux.net website. I should update archive at Aminet to newer version...
  • »23.12.13 - 08:37