Pianeta Amiga 2013
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Hi guys, this is bigfoot temporarily taking over cyfm's account.

In case anyone missed it, both Frank and I will be showing off the latest MorphOS developments at Pianeta Amiga this Saturday.

Want to see the latest state of MorphOS on your favourite Italian hardware? Want to know more about MorphOS directly from the developers? Would you like the bragging rights that you've seen bigfoot? Come join us at Pianeta Amiga!

BTW, just to make it clear, we will only be attending the Saturday, not the Sunday. We'll also bring some collector's edition MorphOS boxes along for those who are interested.
  • »11.12.13 - 00:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Would you like the bragging rights that you've seen bigfoot?

If any of you Italians reading this happens to go to that show and actually see bigfoot, could you please measure one of his feet and post the measurement here? How big is it? Really?

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.12.13 - 00:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Quote:

Want to see the latest state of MorphOS on your favourite Italian hardware?

ZOMG, Morphos running on a Ferrari 458? Or a Zanussi ZWJ14591W? :-D
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »11.12.13 - 07:43
    Cool_amigaN
    Hey you should stop by Athens in Saturday then and visit us at AmiCamp :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »11.12.13 - 10:31
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    pega-1,
    Quote:

In case anyone missed it, both Frank and I will be showing off the latest MorphOS developments at Pianeta Amiga this Saturday.

Yay!
    Quote:

Want to see the latest state of MorphOS on your favourite Italian hardware?

Yes, me wants, and not just on Italian hardware to be honest!
    Quote:

Want to know more about MorphOS directly from the developers?

Yes! I do!
    Quote:

Would you like the bragging rights that you've seen bigfoot?

Well, I already did this one...
    Quote:

Come join us at Pianeta Amiga!

I'll be there, with an old digital camera and possibly a PowerBook G4! And if there's something vaguely interesting to report, I will... But if you can come by yourself, this event is usually quite fun to attend.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »12.12.13 - 00:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    D4Ni3L3
    I would be there on Sunday and hope to meet nice people and MOS fans!

D4Ni3L3
  • »13.12.13 - 19:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Quote:

D4Ni3L3 a écrit :
    I would be there on Sunday and hope to meet nice people and MOS fans!

D4Ni3L3

Bigfoot and cyfm will be there only on saturday...

[ Edité par Papiosaur 13.12.2013 - 21:41 ]
  • »13.12.13 - 21:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    amigakit
    It was a pleasure to meet Frank and Mark yesterday. We all had an enjoyable meal last night together.
    www.amigakit.com - Amiga store
  • »15.12.13 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

guruman wrote:
    I'll be there, with an old digital camera and possibly a PowerBook G4! And if there's something vaguely interesting to report, I will...

Ok, no pics yet, but you can find quite a few on Facebook (no need to register: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.336954366447345.1073741839.326291577513624&type=1 ) and also somewhere else from other people (like: https://imageshack.com/a/MjkC/1 ).
    About the news:
    - MorphOS 3.4 was ready to be released (but you already know!)
    - Frank and Mark resumed work on the Sam460 port after almost 1 year of "freeze". They dedicated the last 2 weeks to it. Low level support was rewritten mostly from scratch, as it was too hackish, and now codebase is much better and easier to mantain. Drivers for the Radeon R500 family have been written, "2D acceleration" is done, 3D acceleration and overlay would have required another 24-48 hours of love to be displayed in full glory. Mark was a bit sad they didn't make it, and indeed it would have been a nice showing on the Sam. Basic work has been made on even newer Radeon cards (I think I understood R700), but since there isn't even 2D acceleration it would have been sluggish if showed. The plan, however is to complete the drivers of these 2 families for the release of MorphOS for Sam, that, tentatively, should be 3.6 sometime during 2014. As usual, team wouldn't commit to release dates and acurate promises, so take this with more than the usual pinch of salt. Mark is happy to be able to work with newer gfx cards now that support of up to R300 is mature enough, as this opens for new features.
    - In addition to the Sam, Frank brought an iBook G4 running the last release.
    - 3.5 is due relatively soon and will be the usual bug-fix release
    - JavaScript JIT (the bounty for OWB by Mark) is actively under development but a bit behind schedule and was not shown
    - I asked also about OpenGL 2.0 now that we have full support of the R300 and they are working on 3D drivers for the R500 family. This requires kiero to be back on work, he had to stop working on MorphOS in the last months for various real-life reasons, but hopefully he will resume development with the team soonish.
    - The plan is to have also Airport wifi supported in the Apple notebooks, sooner or later
    - I did fire my PowerBook G4 up and showed mainly Odyssey with YouTube clips, MPlayer with hi-res videos (up to 720p, but also 1080p full-hd to show that it still can't do it at full speed) a few programs and games. I installed 3.4 as the first user in the world, one or 2 hours before the relase on the team's home page, and enjoyed the faster 3D driver immediately - I was trying to show an heavy game like Speed Dreams to the Bitplane magazine editor, after talking about the much slower 3D drivers of AmigaOS 4.1 (Return to Castle Wolfenstein port is done but still unreleased due to it showing 3-4 fps on AmigaOne), and I anticipated it would have been quite slow and sloppy, not due to the port, but because it is really gfx heavy... And it wasn't that bad, with 3.4 installed. Still not perfect, but enjoyable.

I think this is enough for now. As usual Frank and Mark are nice guys and I like having a chat with them. And the atmosphere of the (very small, this year) event was very friendly and relaxed in general, so a nice trip altogether.

Kind regards,
    Andrea

[ Edited by guruman 16.12.2013 - 01:57 ]
  • »16.12.13 - 01:49
    Jambalah
    Nice report Guruman, thank you!
    And a lot of very interesting news!!
    Thanks to Frank and Mark to their great work and to be there to show!!!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »16.12.13 - 06:09
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    @Guruman

Nice read. Thanks for the report. Wish I had been there.

Dave
  • »17.12.13 - 10:49
    guruman
    Thanks for the feedback.
    And now, as promised, I have uploaded my bunch of pics here.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »18.12.13 - 01:06