MorphOS on the A-Eon X1000???
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Now that A-Eon and AmigaKit have decided to sell the Nemo motherboard separately, instead of only as a complete system, I am willing to donate money toward purchasing one, or two Nemo motherboards for MorphOS Dev. Team members who are interested in porting MorphOS3.x to the X1000 system.

I think everyone can agree that the sales of the X1000 have exceeded the expectations we all had when the price of the X1000 was first announced. The continuing demand for the X1000 shows that many people are willing to pay the price to own such a unique piece of hardware.

The fact that a 2nd retailer has now started to assemble and sell the X1000 systems, is surprising and good news that shows there must be continuing demand for such systems, despite their high cost for the amount of performance provided. To my knowledge, the X1000 systems have proved to be very reliable and well built motherboards.

If any of the MorphOS Dev. Team members would agree to port MorphOS3.x to the X1000, I believe I could further reduce the number of computers I need/want to have in my house, as I could then run AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS3.x, and several flavors of PPC Linux, which should satisfy 99.999% of my computing needs on just one computer.

If any MorphOS Dev. Team members are interested in working on a port of MorphOS3.x to the X1000, please contact me in this thread, or privately through PM, or email. If any other X1000 owners (or potential owners) wish to join me in funding the purchase of 1 or 2 Nemo motherboards for MorphOS Dev. Team members, you can also contact me, or post your position here in this thread.

Of course, if no MorphOS Dev. Team members are interested in doing such a porting project, then this subject in null and void.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.10.13 - 21:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    We have discussed this internally in the past and have no plans to port MorphOS to X1000, this subject is indeed null and void.
  • »22.10.13 - 21:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    pega-1,
    Quote:

We have discussed this internally in the past and have no plans to port MorphOS to X1000, this subject is indeed null and void.

Okey, but just for the sake of argument here: would the developers consider it if the community would donate a board or a whole X1000 computer? Just like with the G5 port.

Although just a board isn't much cheaper than the entire computer. I certainly wouldn't be able to buy one. But that's me :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »22.10.13 - 23:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:

I'm glad to hear it. If I understand correctly, the current consensus among the team is to now focus on improving what we already have rather than concentrate on porting MorphOS to new computers.

Which makes me a very happy bunny. :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »22.10.13 - 23:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @amigadave

Clearly, the meaning of the words "expectations" and "demand" is highly subjective in this case, and is entirely built on a combination of groundless speculations from enthusiastic advocates and marketing communication from the seller.

@Yasu

I don't think it's a question of money, hence bounties or donations aren't the answer.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.10.13 - 23:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @takemehomegrandma

With that price I just assumed that price had something to do with it :) But like I said, if a free board isn't enough then it's clear that that's not the point. And personally, I don't see much point of it either except being able to tell the AOS4 fanboys that now we too have "new hardware".

My MorphOS blog
  • »23.10.13 - 00:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Seems a bit odd asking about the X1000 given that new machines have been announced, wouldn't asking about them be more appropriate?
  • »23.10.13 - 00:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    X1000 is already out. Same fior the Sam Boards. And there are also tbree nachines coming out on tbe future. So many chances for MorphOS to be ported on new hardware, but it is not happening, I still can not understand the reason.
  • »23.10.13 - 01:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > X1000 is already out. Same fior the Sam Boards. [...] So many chances for
    > MorphOS to be ported on new hardware, but it is not happening

MorphOS for Sam460 is ultimately cancelled?
  • »23.10.13 - 02:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    @Amigadave
    I appreciate your view here, but I don't agree with it. I think it would be a waste of resources considering nearly free 2nd hand G4s outperform the X1000. The MorphOS team decided to port to the Sam460 for a "new" solution and look how long that is taking.

Just my $0.02.
  • »23.10.13 - 14:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    redrumloa,
    Quote:

The MorphOS team decided to port to the Sam460 for a "new" solution and look how long that is taking.

It takes that long, because we try to keep the support for other platforms alive and finish things first, before opening new projects.

Therefore the Sam port never had a high priority. It is simply not possible to go into all directions at the same time with just a hand full of people capable of writing drivers and maintaining the kernel.

Supporting R300, G5, iBooks, more PowerBooks that all needed time and eat resources. Even now people want more G5 models and more graphic cards supported.

The basic question is: What to do first?

Geit
  • »23.10.13 - 16:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    PowerUP and BVision 3d drivers :)
  • »23.10.13 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > PowerUP

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=16&topic_id=7868&start=40 :-)
  • »23.10.13 - 20:30
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    SKOLMAN_MWS
    New audio driver for Efika :)
    _
  • »23.10.13 - 21:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    The X1000 motherboard alone is still _very_ expensive, the performance not that convincing and the PA6T is EOL anway, the successpr of the Nemo board in the works. That does not sound very convincing for a MorphOS port to the Nemo board.
    If a port to a new and expensive board should be considered, then the X1000 successor sounds way more plausible. But if you asked me, stop supporting more ppc machines (a finialization of the Sam460 port I would like to see though) as it's plenty now, but polish what's there and then do the ultimative step and switch ISA (x64).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »23.10.13 - 21:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Zylesea

Well, it has to be released first. And considering that the hard core fans have already bought an X1000 I would suspect that a lot of them will not be able to afford the successor.

My MorphOS blog
  • »23.10.13 - 23:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> the successpr of the Nemo board in the works. [...] If a port to a new and expensive
    >> board should be considered, then the X1000 successor sounds way more plausible.

> it has to be released first.

You don't need the release version of a mainboard to port an OS to it. A prototype or even the reference design from the CPU/SoC vendor the prototype is based on should suffice. After all, every time a board is released, it comes already with at least one OS, so the OS development/porting must have started before the board release.
  • »23.10.13 - 23:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    My reasons for offering to help fund the purchase of 1 or 2 X1000 motherboards was/is purely selfish in nature, as I would like to be able to run both AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS3.x on the same computer.

I did not expect any of the MorphOS Dev. Team members to jump at this offer, but you never know until you ask. I agree with almost everyone else here, that the resources should be used elsewhere and that improving what we already have is far more important than supporting a limited production, EOL product.

The only thing the X1000 has going for it is the apparent larger number of PCIe lanes, or bandwidth to the graphic card slot, which if I understand the specifications of the proposed new systems from A-Eon, will be slightly lower for the Cyrus based systems.

I am not surprised, or disappointed to read pega-1's response that this subject has been discussed and rejected by the Dev. Team. It is obviously the right choice. The only reason I suggested it in the first place, was due to the similar surprising previous announcement that the SAM460ex would be supported at some time in the future, which I believe is just as unproductive as any port to the X1000 would be. I had a very small hope that perhaps one or two of the Dev. Team members would accept free X1000 motherboards and perhaps some additional bounty money to complete a port to the X1000, similar to how the G5 port came about, but as I have already stated, I am not surprised that the Dev. Team members are making the sensible choice to NOT support the X1000. If they are going to support any A-Eon products, it would make far more sense to support the Cyrus based systems in the future, when they are finally released.

Also, only the Dev. Team members would know if a port to the X1000 would be more difficult, or easier, to complete than the currently stalled port to the SAM460ex system, so there was no harm in asking and trying to gauge how much support there might be from other X1000 owners. It is my uneducated guess that even though the X1000 cost far more than the SAM460ex systems, I believe that there may be more X1000's in the hands of Amiga users than current sales of the (also expensive, in my opinion) SAM460ex systems.

Finally, I thought how great it would be to see direct comparisons of AmigaOS4.x vs MorphOS3.x on the X1000 hardware, and what a great promotion tool it would be if a MorphOS user, or developer were the first person to find a practical use for the X1000's Xena/Xorro slot and co-processor.

Sorry if my suggestion upset anyone who rightly wants the Dev. Team to concentrate on improvements and new features and software, and not yet another hardware platform. I agree with all of you that it is not the best use of resources, but I would still like to see it happen "Some Day".
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.10.13 - 23:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

Maybe so, but I was mostly referring to that they need to finish the board on time first.

My MorphOS blog
  • »23.10.13 - 23:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The only thing the X1000 has going for it is the apparent larger number of PCIe lanes,
    > or bandwidth to the graphic card slot, which if I understand the specifications of the
    > proposed new systems from A-Eon, will be slightly lower for the Cyrus based systems.

Cyrus has exactly half of Nemo's PCIe graphics bandwidth and a quarter of Nemo's PCIe graphics lanes.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=912
  • »24.10.13 - 00:33