MorphOS and backdoors/unauthorized remote access
  • Just looking around
    Jason
    Does MorphOS contain any backdoors or other means for governments or the morphos team to gain unauthorized access/keylogging/spying?

Since the whole NSA debacle I've become quite concerned over closed source software.

Can the developers make any comments about this?
  • »31.08.13 - 21:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bash64
    Yes,

There are little green men installed along with a few gremlins with every copy of MOS.
    :-D
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »31.08.13 - 23:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Jason wrote:
    Does MorphOS contain any backdoors or other means for governments or the morphos team to gain unauthorized access/keylogging/spying?

Since the whole NSA debacle I've become quite concerned over closed source software.

Seems highly unlikely.
    I doubt the development team would stoop to that.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »31.08.13 - 23:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »01.09.13 - 00:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    There are no backdoors or other means that I know of.

That being said, the MorphOS source code is rather huge when you count all the 3rd party components, too. It would be extremely difficult and expensive to audit all of it.

Also, it is possible that some of the MorphOS components may contain bugs that would allow remote attacker to cause crashes, and possibly execute code by means of a drive-by attack and/or specially crafted files. MorphOS is a very small platform however, and it can be said with high certainty that exploit writers are targeting some larger platforms.

If you're worried about privacy and NSA snooping the most likely way you get snooped is use of internet services hosted in the US or provided by US companies (Google, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc). Also, most other countries snoop all network traffic crossing their borders (for example Sweden does this).

Use of encryption for confidential and/or sensitive data is highly recommended. When sending email or browsing the web always consider the fact that someone might see everything you read and/or write. Use of TLS/SSL protected sites itself doesn't necessarily improve the situation as some service providers and companies themselves provide the keys to intelligence services per request.
  • »01.09.13 - 00:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Jason wrote:

Oh, I have to deal with this shit at work (data retention, wire-tapping for the government agencies) so I'd prefer not to have to do such stuff after work as well ;) Nope, MorphOS does not do anything like that, it does not even call home on its own.
  • »01.09.13 - 17:16
    Profile Visit Website