Printing failure
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    When I tried to print with MorphOS 3.2 I get this "Failed to initialize output device" from APDF and VPDF.
    When printing from OWB it's working fine.
    I'm using postscript and netprinter.
    One funny thing that solved my problem was when I untick the "PostScript" box in VPDF it works to print.
  • »07.06.13 - 19:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Try inputting PRT: into the OUTPUT field instead of PS: and that works for me, using my Mac Mini and printing via my LAN, but my printer is a HP 5M Colour LaserJet PostScript printer, so please bear that in mind.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.06.13 - 22:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    Forgot to mention that printing with MorphOS 3.1 everything just worked fine using PS: device!
  • »08.06.13 - 12:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    PS: is to print through Ghostscript.

Even though MorphOS comes with the gs-handler and the PS DOSDriver, it does not include Ghostscript itself.
    So, by default, MorphOS is not be able to print through the PS: device. And never was, AFAIR.

Would it be possible you have installed Ghostscript in the past and forgot about it? And it is not working anymore for some reason (f.e. MorphOS 3.2 is now installed on a different partition or something else broke Ghostscript).

I suggest you try to re-install Ghostscript. You can use Grunch to do it very easily.
    Then printing through PS: should work again.
  • »09.06.13 - 12:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    @Henes

Thanks for your answer.
    I have tried to re-install Ghostscript with Grunch more than once but no luck.
    I have had Ghostscript installed a couple of years and use it on a regular basis every month.
    Two of my computers is upgraded to MorphOS 3.2 (Powerbook and Mini) from 3.1 and none of these can print pdf's from VPDF, however my girlfrends Mini MorphOS 3.1 still works with VPDF.
    With MorphOS 3.2 it works to print a webpage from OWB and use the PS: device.

Can anyone that had Ghostscript installed before the upgrade of MorphOS 3.2 verify that printing with the use of PS: device from VPDF still works?
  • »09.06.13 - 20:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    If You don't have postscript printer, please print in Turbprint mode (Postscript checkmark off). It is faster and takes less memory and ghostscript isn't required. If You have postscript printer and printing directly to NETPAR: does't work, i'll build vpdf version with debug enabled
  • »11.06.13 - 18:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    If You don't have postscript printer, please print in Turbprint mode (Postscript checkmark off). It is faster and takes less memory and ghostscript isn't required. If You have postscript printer and printing directly to NETPAR: does't work, i'll build vpdf version with debug enabled

I usually use PRT: as the device to send my printout to via the Ethernet/LAN on my Mac Mini as the PS: option doesn't work, and I also get an error message that the device could not be initialized - that's using the PostScript option - level 2 as I have a HP 5M Colour LaserJet printer which has either PostScript 2 or PCL printing options.

When I 'unticked' the PostScript option and used the printer settings using TurboPrint interpreted through the PCL language it printed the document but only in Black even though the setting was set for it to print in colour. I do have Ghostscript installed.

Any explanation for:

1. Why printing to PRT: works using PostScript - and in colour, using the LAN/netprinter.device?
    2. Why the PS: printing option doesn't work in VPDF?
    3. Why the HP5 ColorLaserJet colour printout settings don't work using the standard print options in VPDF?

[ Edited by NewSense 13.06.2013 - 02:53 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »12.06.13 - 01:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Do not use prt: just netpar: (previously mounted). Data in PRT: goes via turboprint and in Netpar: it goes directly.
    If PS: option does't work it seems that your ghostscript installation/configuration is broken.
    does printing in color from any other program work? I always send color RGB data from VPDF to printer.device so it could be TPrint fault
  • »26.06.13 - 19:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    @zukow

Thanks, it works fine printing to Netpar: from VPDF.
  • »29.06.13 - 21:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @zukow:

I've another problem with VPDF. Printing postscript directly via netprinter.device causes a blank sheet after every printed sheet. VPDF is the only prog with such a behaviour (- others like Pagestream or FinalWriter are doing correct). I can't find any prefs in VPDF to change this......

System: PEG2, MOS3.2, HP Colorlaser 1515n / Lexmark 120n

Mounted Net-Device (PRTN0:) for printing:

StackSize = 4096
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1
    Handler = MOSSYS:L/port-handler
    Startup = "DEVICE=netprinter.device UNIT=0 TYPE=printer"

Printing via PS: is ok, but then I have these strange artefacts (hoizontal ghost-lines), which are well-known from many discussions about HP-Colorlaser with more than 300x300 dpi...... (which is not a problem of VPDF but of TP-drivers)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »30.06.13 - 08:49
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

zukow wrote:

Zukow,

If you're rebuilding vpdf is there any chance you could add a "Save" routine?

This would allow files viewed in vpdf from OWB to be saved without having to kludge a reqestfile into the script passing the file from OWB to VPDF.

I also have a couple of other suggestions for the wishlist if you're continuing to enhance vpdf in future, minor enhancements not worth listing here.

Very nice and stable pdf viewer though, thankyou.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »30.06.13 - 09:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:

StackSize = 4096
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1

Why you use a modified version and not the version included in MorphOS and known to be working perfect?

Just copy SYS:MorphOS/Storage/DosDrivers/NetPar to Devs:DosDrivers.

Geit
  • »30.06.13 - 12:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Because I am useing 3 different Network-Laserprinters - therefore I need 3 different devices......

And, by the way, I've checked this also with NETPAR-mountlist on a plain 3.2 installation - and it's absolutely the same behaviour.......
    Please notice: This problem occurs ONLY with VPDF! All other PS-programms are printing correct! Don't think that this is a problem of an incorrect mountlist.....

Quote:

geit schrieb:
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:

StackSize = 4096
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1

Why you use a modified version and not the version included in MorphOS and known to be working perfect?

Just copy SYS:MorphOS/Storage/DosDrivers/NetPar to Devs:DosDrivers.

Geit
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »30.06.13 - 20:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    libpoppler used in VPDF from MorphOS 3.2 has problem with generating postscript files which uses pfb fonts so some PDFs can't be printed correctly. It will be fixed in 3.3.
  • »24.07.13 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Flegy
    Quote:

dake wrote:
    When I tried to print with MorphOS 3.2 I get this "Failed to initialize output device" from APDF and VPDF.
    When printing from OWB it's working fine.
    I'm using postscript and netprinter.
    One funny thing that solved my problem was when I untick the "PostScript" box in VPDF it works to print.

I have the same problems with APDF and VPDF. But is not MOS 3.2 problem. With VPDF from MOS 3.1 and any older APDF (from MOS 3.0?, from MOS 3.1 not works too) is everything OK.

[ Edited by Flegy 04.08.2013 - 01:32 ]
  • »03.08.13 - 17:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    Same here.
    Printing from Shell with Ghostscript to my Epson Stylus is still working, so it is not a Ghostscript problem.

[ Edited by Tom01 04.08.2013 - 16:36 ]
  • »04.08.13 - 15:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    please, pastebin output from snoopium got during printing
  • »05.08.13 - 07:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    I am getting this from Snoopium:

http://pastebin.com/PGMnBgta
  • »05.08.13 - 12:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    1) select all options in snoopium except newobject
    2) make a new log
    3) print to file in VPDF (change PS: to ram:output.ps)
    4) type in shell: copy ram:output.ps to PS:
    5) check log in snoopium
  • »05.08.13 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    Not much more to see:

http://pastebin.com/3NDfdFv5
  • »05.08.13 - 14:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer