Tutorials vs Teaching Programming
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    As for learning Hollywood the Hollywood forum is probably the best address. Unfortuately it's not to crowded, but some users and especially Andreas are very helpful.
    http://forums.hollywood-mal.com/
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.08.15 - 13:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Perhaps just adding one or two new forums to the existing "Development" section would suffice to give us a place for new programmers to hang out and ask their questions, or discuss their projects with each other?

In addition to the existing one in the users section, there is now a beginners forum in the development section as well.

Thank you!
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.08.15 - 22:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    As for learning Hollywood the Hollywood forum is probably the best address. Unfortuately it's not to crowded, but some users and especially Andreas are very helpful.
    http://forums.hollywood-mal.com/

I agree, the Hollywood forums would be more appropriate than here for discussing that programming language.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.08.15 - 22:11
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I know we have several excellent tutorials and programming articles as available resources for those of us who wish to learn how to program for MorphOS, but I was thinking of what might be even better, and/or more effective at helping programming challenged persons like myself to become productive MorphOS programmers.

I know that the best of our existing MorphOS developers and third party programmers are busy with their own lives and work, plus they put what little time they have into contributing to MorphOS development, or their own programming projects, but perhaps one, two or three of them could find 1 to 2 hours per week to teach and mentor potential new MorphOS programmers, using both IRC and the existing programming resources, plus maybe some short outlines they could draft to give the group some direction.

Our existing MorphOS Dev. Team, and a very small group of third party programmers, are a very valuable resource that we cannot afford to let slip away without passing on their knowledge and expertise to a new generation of programmers. We are lucky that most MorphOS Developers and Programmers have stuck around as long as they have, but people do leave occasionally and we don't want their knowledge and experience to be completely lost.

I would be willing to pay for such a teaching experience, something like $10 per week, maybe. If there were 5 to 10 other people interested in learning from one or two of our best developers, we could perhaps raise $50 to $100 per week to compensate that one, or two developers for their 1 to 2 hours per week of their time. I know that this small amount is only a fraction of what their time is actually worth, but unless we can find 30 to 50 people to pay the $10 per week, there is no way to adequately compensate the teachers for their true value to the group.

Does anyone else think that this idea could work, and if yes, would you be willing to be one of the students, or one of the teachers?

just starting out on programming on morphos, a startup guide that lists what is needed / configured to build a simple console app and later converted to a gui is what I am looking for at the moment. I doubt any of my amiga programming books would be of any use, but I was thinking of using vanilia C or maybe C++ for a starting point.
  • »22.09.15 - 14:33
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

todd wrote:
    just starting out on programming on morphos, a startup guide that lists what is needed / configured to build a simple console app and later converted to a gui is what I am looking for at the moment. I doubt any of my amiga programming books would be of any use, but I was thinking of using vanilia C or maybe C++ for a starting point.

Look at the Library section here in this forum. I think that the first two articles in the Development section there are just what you're looking for.
  • »22.09.15 - 15:04
    Profile Visit Website