Forget Amiwest, how about MorphEast?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    If there was a MorphOS oriented show in South Florida, would you be interested? When I say show, I mean low key get together similar to Amiwest but without the pretense of a huge turnout. South Florida is an international travel destination where the things to do for a tourist is very deep. Sacremento is nice and has some interesting history, but for a pure vacation standpoint South Florida has it beat easily.

I think it could be fun if we could scratch together 1-2 dozen people. It is just casual conversation between doffo and myself right now.

[ Edited by redrumloa 22.01.2013 - 21:25 ]
  • »23.01.13 - 01:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I could not make it to South Florida every year, but would try to attend occasionally, maybe every other year, or once every three years.

I have never been to Florida, so there is lots for me to see there. ;-)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.01.13 - 02:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Working title: MorFeast!

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.01.13 - 19:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    I guess, I proposed this idea before but it soon faded as we are all scattered about on the east coast. To network yea, and unload some aging equipment I have would be cool. However, to get me really pumped would require an unveiling of something ground breaking from morphos. It would have to be in the summer for me to fit it in (june-aug)
  • »23.01.13 - 21:57
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

Working title: MorFeast!

How about MorphUS?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.01.13 - 22:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

How about MorphUS?

And in Europe: MorphEUs...

:-)

Edit:

Tagline: "I took the Blue pill"

http://www.expoweekly.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Morpheus-Red-or-Blue-Pill-the-matrix-1957140-500-568.jpg
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.01.13 - 23:59
    Doffo
    Depending on what date and where, id likely fly out that direction. I don't expect a big turnout, but id be happy with hanging out and having a few brews and MorphOS. 8-)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »24.01.13 - 01:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    It’s doable for me. It’s a long drive for me so I'd most likely fly in.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »24.01.13 - 01:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Personally, I do NOT want to be in Florida in August.
  • »24.01.13 - 01:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Jim wrote:,
    Quote:

Personally, I do NOT want to be in Florida in August.

I would not attend in August either! Even June would be very uncomfortable. If we are going to organize an event in Florida, it should be in November, December, January, or February. Those are the months when more people will be glad to escape to Florida's warmer weather.
  • »24.01.13 - 18:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Unfortunately transatlantic flights are a bit above pockt money, but Florida in XI-III sounds quite attractive (bah - had enough snow for my taste now). How are the cycling conditions in Florida?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.01.13 - 21:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    amigadave,
    Quote:

I would not attend in August either! Even June would be very uncomfortable. If we are going to organize an event in Florida, it should be in November, December, January, or February. Those are the months when more people will be glad to escape to Florida's warmer weather.

I am open to doing it in the winter if that was the general consensus, though more likely Feb 2014 to keep away from the holidays and Football season. Would people be recovered financially from the holidays by Feb?
  • »24.01.13 - 23:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Zylesea,
    Quote:

How are the cycling conditions in Florida?

Weather in the winter is quite ideal for cycling. Our local drivers in the Tri-County area, not so much... I would not recommend cycling on the roads close to the main cities in the Tri-county area. Florida is a huge diverse state though. Get a little further north and I'm sure you'd find some idea areas to go cycling without the maniac drivers. It may be possible in some nicer areas like West Boca. If this all gets beyond talk and you are interested in coming, I could do a little research for you. The weather has been ideal, though a little warm some days. A good day the temps are in the 60's (F). On hot days it gets near 80F. Feb should be the coolest though, likely temps in the perfect 60's range.
  • »24.01.13 - 23:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    xyphoid,

You couldn't make Feb? The others are right that South Florida during the summer is a pressure cooker. We could probably attract more people with a winter date.
  • »24.01.13 - 23:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Good responses so far, keep them coming! Here are some random thoughts.

1) We could make it a primarily a MorphOS show but invite other users like AROS, Classic Amiga and even Commodore 8 bit. Dammy is local so maybe he would be interested in demoing an AROS box. The goal would not be to convert to one thing or another, just get some people together who have a common heritage together for a good time. Would you like this or would you prefer MorphOS only? I could go either way on this.

2) At least at this stage we are talking more about a get together than a "show". If anyone would like to do a demonstration, class, speech etc or can sign someone up who would then we could make it a show. At this point is sounds more like a get together or meeting.

3) Would you prefer an economic hotel space like Amiwest has been doing lately, or would you prefer something more expensive on the beach? I'm thinking more economical but hopefully without the complaints that plauged the last AmiWest :-o

4) Should this get together be only in a rented hotel space, or should it be more creative? Should we rent a hunt on the beach one day, if the hut has sufficient power to set up some computers? Should we orgainize some activities to enjoy the local flavor?

All suggestions are welcome.
  • »25.01.13 - 00:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    Jim,
    Quote:

Really? Isn't Delaware warmer and stickier than Florida in August? With the AC working 24 x 7, Florida is one of the coldest places on earth, after Hong Kong for the same reason! :-o

I like the idea and support it. It gives me a chance to go and visit my family there while getting to know my fellow MorphUSERS (tm) ;-)

[ Edited by WeiXing3D 24.01.2013 - 20:18 ]
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »25.01.13 - 03:16
    osco
    Suggested Boston awhile back but Florida seems ok
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »25.01.13 - 17:42
    xyphoid
    FL. Is too far for me in Feb. I'd be busy with work, and local responsibilities. Now if it was Maryland,(someone did an Amiga show years back) PA(like software hut did years ago) Nj or New York then that would be doable around then, but as you are hosting/organizing, I totally get it! Oh and I can take the heat, though as pointed out we would be indoors for the most part.
  • »25.01.13 - 22:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    Florida in February?? Probably doable... but would definitely need to plan it and Fly.
    I can drive anywhere from Mass to NC on the eastern seaboard. But driving to Florida would need to be for a long vacation, rather then a long weekend
    ;-)
  • »26.01.13 - 03:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    WeiXing3D,
    Quote:

Isn't Delaware warmer and stickier than Florida in August?

Yeah, Delaware is hell on earth in the summer (although our mosquitos are smaller).
    But then, I wasn't suggesting having the meeting in Delaware.
    s
  • »26.01.13 - 04:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    This could get interesting.
    Looks like we could get some of the more interesting posters from the US and maybe a few Europeans.

I could get behind this.

If we do look for a hotel, I don't care how upscale it is, but we have to have internet access.
  • »26.01.13 - 15:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Don't limit the number of users by making it a MorphOS only meeting. Let anyone with any system remotely related to the Amiga attend and enjoy the show, even the evil OS4.x users, if they want to attend.

We all get along fine at AmiWest, so I am sure we can do the same at any East Coast meeting that is set up. Since MorphOS users are the ones trying to set this up, I am sure it will end up being primarily a MorphOS meeting anyway, but there is no need to try to exclude anyone.

You might even make a few more OS4.x converts to MorphOS3.x, if you make them welcome to attend. More and more users are choosing to run both, or multiple Amiga-Like systems these days.

I would suggest a cheap location, free if possible, for the first meeting and then see if there is enough interest to keep it going for the next year. Then possibly it can grow into a real show, with sponsors and eventually with enough attendance to warrant renting a nicer location to hold the meeting/show.

Having the meeting in a city where there is lots of other things to do, or at least near one of those destination cities, will make it a lot more attractive for people who are traveling long distances to attend. That is my main complaint about the AmiWest Show, there is nothing to do there and they will never move it to a more desirable location away from Sacramento. I wish they would move AmiWest to Reno, or Las Vegas, or near Los Angeles, or San Diego. Maybe that way they could actually increase the attendance to a respectable number and get some new blood and new people attending.

For your first East Coast meeting I suggest you keep it as cheap as possible, because you have no way of telling how many people are going to show up, and I doubt that you will be able to get any commercial sponsors for your first meeting (unless you can hold it next door to Software Hut, with the possibility of helping them clear out some of their old Amiga stock).

Good Luck! ;-)
  • »26.01.13 - 18:58
    Doffo
    Personally it would be great to just have a get together. Sure it would be nice to just show some curious people as to what the hell we are doing lol, but I just see it mostly as a gathering to have some brews and enjoy MorphOS/68k Amiga....

If all else fails, guess we could just all get on Google + on a PC next to our MorphOS machines and just BS/Talk till we are bored lol... Be sure to buy a decent quality camera so we can actually see you/your setup! Believe Google+ allows for 8 users to all get in the same hangout? Might have to see if it allows for more.

Either way, we will figure something out. 8-)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »27.01.13 - 03:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Doffo,
    Quote:

If all else fails, guess we could just all get on Google +

Well, if not all, at least 8.
    Want to set a date and time?
    My February is going to be rather hectic, but we could see.
    What about a weekly meeting or an option on this website similar to an advanced chat.
    Video would cool.
  • »27.01.13 - 20:07
    Doffo
    Jim,
    Quote:

Well, if not all, at least 8.
    Want to set a date and time?
    My February is going to be rather hectic, but we could see.
    What about a weekly meeting or an option on this website similar to an advanced chat.
    Video would cool.

We can shoot for a date, have any ideas? Maybe best to plan on a weekend where we can meet up. I gotta pick up a decent webcam. 8-) But I would be go for it.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »27.01.13 - 21:05
    Profile Visit Website