[Mac mini]: Ethernet Port not working
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Posts: 24 from 2012/10/17
    From: germany
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

    Please let us know how it goes.


    Thank you so much. I went step by step through your instructions. But I think I still have a configuration problem.

    Under devices I know have the "USB to LAN Converter". Bindings = pegasus class, but under class there is a question mark (white on blue).

    And when I doubleclick the device there is another information:

    Num = 0/0
    Name = interface 0
    Class = exclamation mark (whitw on red) (None)
    Sub = 0
    Proto = 0
    EPs = 3
    Binding = None

    Is this correct? I don't get a connection.

    btw: Is it correct that I can't even ping localhost (127.0.0.1) under MOS, as this is possible under windows??

    [ Editiert durch noob 10.11.2012 - 21:42 ]
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »10.11.12 - 19:55
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Posts: 874 from 2007/4/9
    From: Kingston upon ...
    noob,
    Quote:


    Thank you so much. I went step by step through your instructions. But I think I still have a configuration problem.

    Under devices I know have the "USB to LAN Converter". Bindings = pegasus class, but under class there is a question mark (white on blue).

    And when I doubleclick the device there is another information:

    Num = 0/0
    Name = interface 0
    Class = exclamation mark (whitw on red) (None)
    Sub = 0
    Proto = 0
    EPs = 3
    Binding = None

    Is this correct? I don't get a connection.


    The same question mark & information is displayed on mine, but it is working ok.
    In the Network settings, you may want to disable eth0 (the sungem device) by unchecking the box.

    I would also recommend setting a static IP address for the eth1, at least whilst you get it working. It just rules out the possibility of DHCP being the problem.

    Quote:

    btw: Is it correct that I can't even ping localhost (127.0.0.1) under MOS, as this is possible under windows??



    No, that's weird. In Network settings, there should now be 3 entries: eth0 (sungem), eth1 (pegasus) and loopback (internal). Ensure that both eth1 and loopback are enabled (check the boxes).

    [ Edited by boot_wb 11.11.2012 - 01:27 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

    UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

    Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.11.12 - 00:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Posts: 24 from 2012/10/17
    From: germany
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

    No, that's weird. In Network settings, there should now be 3 entries: eth0 (sungem), eth1 (pegasus) and loopback (internal). Ensure that both eth1 and loopback are enabled (check the boxes).


    boot_wb you are such a nice person. What would I do without your help. :-P

    I slowly get the feeling that I am too stupid to handle MOS. I like this OS so much but it seems to me that you must be a specialist to handle it. There is something totally weird with my system.

    I overlooked the following post.
    caver99,
    Quote:

    on a pc download and burn ubuntu for mac and see if the network works on it as its free and only uses a cd.


    @caver99: I am sorry for overlooking it. Thank you very much.

    I tried this last night. And allthough I could not make the "Lubuntu" (I think this is the PowerPC Ubuntu?) LIVE CD boot properly something very interesting happened during my experiments.

    I looked into my router configuration:
    1. the mac mini was displayed as client (hostname: lubuntu) connected to the mac mini etthernet port.
    2. the mac mini was displayed as a client (hostname: lubuntu) connected to the Belkin

    Than I tried again with MOS Boot CD:
    1. connected to mac mini ethernet port -> no client dispayed in router configuration
    2. connected to Belkin -> no client displayed in router configuration

    The same happens with my installed MOS version.

    Strange things to happen:
    1. I can not ping localhost, allthough the loopback is enabled and localhost is defined in the host prefs.
    2. With the Belkin I tried both ways (dhcp and static ip) but the router does not notice any connection. I deactivated the sungem_eth.device.

    Oh man, feeling really stupid at this point and I don't know how to go on. Does anyone have an idea?
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »11.11.12 - 12:27
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Posts: 24 from 2012/10/17
    From: germany
    Hey Andreas, vielen lieben Dank!

    I tried version 12.04. Just downloading the 12.10. I hope this will work properly for me so that I can give you guys more information.
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »11.11.12 - 13:05
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Posts: 874 from 2007/4/9
    From: Kingston upon ...
    noob,
    Quote:

    boot_wb,
    boot_wb you are such a nice person. What would I do without your help.

    I slowly get the feeling that I am too stupid to handle MOS. I like this OS so much but it seems to me that you must be a specialist to handle it. There is something totally weird with my system.


    So far my well-intentioned help has not solved the problem, unfortunately. :-)

    In nearly all cases, MorphOS works fine out-of-the-box, in which case you'd be happily enjoying your system with no specialist knowledge required.
    It really shouldn't require any level of expertise to use the system, but diagnosing and solving a problem online can be a bit of a task.

    Quote:

    I tried this last night. And allthough I could not make the "Lubuntu" (I think this is the PowerPC Ubuntu?) LIVE CD boot properly something very interesting happened during my experiments.

    I looked into my router configuration:
    1. the mac mini was displayed as client (hostname: lubuntu) connected to the mac mini etthernet port.
    2. the mac mini was displayed as a client (hostname: lubuntu) connected to the Belkin

    That shows at least that the hardware is working OK.

    Quote:

    Than I tried again with MOS Boot CD:
    1. connected to mac mini ethernet port -> no client dispayed in router configuration
    2. connected to Belkin -> no client displayed in router configuration



    I find with my router (Netgear) that the MorphOS machines show up as 'connnected devices', but the host names are not shown.
    Are you able to ping localhost when booting from the CD? (PS - forgot to ask, did you also try 'ping 127.0.0.1' as well as 'ping localhost'?)

    Quote:

    The same happens with my installed MOS version.

    Strange things to happen:
    1. I can not ping localhost, allthough the loopback is enabled and localhost is defined in the host prefs.
    2. With the Belkin I tried both ways (dhcp and static ip) but the router does not notice any connection. I deactivated the sungem_eth.device.

    Oh man, feeling really stupid at this point and I don't know how to go on. Does anyone have an idea?

    At this point, I would suggest:
    1) Forget about the Belkin and concentrate testing using the built-in ethernet port (just to keep things simple since it's obviously not a hardware problem).
    2) Test using either the MorphOS boot CD, or on a fresh installation (just to rule out any configuration problem).

    One other thought: do you have access to another router just to rule out the possibility of something weird going on with that particular model?
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

    UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

    Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.11.12 - 13:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Posts: 24 from 2012/10/17
    From: germany
    Total despair @ this point. :-(

    I have tried to boot the Lubuntu Live CD v12.10 without luck (same problems as with v12.04).

    Then I tried to reinstall MOS. The installation is in progress for hours and I get error messages (can't access volume)! Oh god, what a mess!!!

    I see to possible reasons. Drive defective? Controller defective? And maybe this is the answer to all questions (including network)...

    Or the hole mac mini is defective???

    Installation finished. System crashes starting owb. End of dreams.

    btw: The ethernet port is working. Right now I am using the modified download fonts owb script and the connection works. LOL

    [ Editiert durch noob 11.11.2012 - 18:52 ]
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »11.11.12 - 17:34
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Posts: 874 from 2007/4/9
    From: Kingston upon ...
    Installation should normally take around 5-10 minutes, so something is going wrong there.

    One thought: How big are your partitions? (especially system partition)
    If larger than 128GB, then there are limitations as to which filesystems can be used.



    [ Edited by boot_wb 11.11.2012 - 18:16 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

    UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

    Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.11.12 - 18:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SKOLMAN_MWS
    Posts: 100 from 2006/10/24
    @noob

    Me internet works only up to MorphOS 2.7

    http://www.morphos-team.net/morphos-2.7.iso

    Internet on MorphOS 3.0 and 3.1 does not work.

    Efika and Mac mini.
    _
  • »12.11.12 - 07:35
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    nemesiswar
    Posts: 37 from 2012/11/12
    Hi (First post)
    Im having a similar problem that my network connection dosent work either... well sometimes it does?
    When i received my Mac mini 2 weeks ago and installed MorphOS it didnt work but 3 days later it worked (Slow internet) now this week it havent worked again.
    The thing is my wife had a simillar problem awhile back with her macbook (White late 209) the network worked fine on hers tho but the internet connection didnt work every other day but somehow it fixed itself.

    EDIT: Today its working who knows about tomorrow?

    [ Edited by nemesiswar 13.11.2012 - 17:00 ]
    Power Mac G5 2,0 Ghz registred
    IBook G4 1,2 Ghz registered
    Mac mini G4 1,5 Ghz unregistred
    Power Mac G5 Quad awaiting support
  • »12.11.12 - 18:16
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Posts: 24 from 2012/10/17
    From: germany
    Hey guys,

    my mac mini is working again flawlessly!

    It was the HARDDISK! I am so happy!

    Thank you all so much!!!

    :-)
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »21.11.12 - 18:32
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Posts: 874 from 2007/4/9
    From: Kingston upon ...
    Great news! Glad you found the root of the problems. :pint:
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

    UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

    Windows free since 2011!
  • »21.11.12 - 18:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Posts: 24 from 2012/10/17
    From: germany
    Hey boot_wb,

    I never thought that the ethernet problems could result from a defective harddisk!? Even my Netgear WINCE2001 wireless adapter is working now.

    I hope there will be no further hardware problems. Can't live without MOS anymore...
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »21.11.12 - 19:07
    Profile
  • Just looking around
    Posts: 6 from 2017/3/16
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The Belkin one uses the pegasus chipset [...]. I believe there are other chipsets
    > supported (Davicom, ASIX, Moschip MCS7830, possibly others through ethwrap)
    > but I don't have a list of supported makes/models (perhaps Andreas_Wolf will
    > be kind enough to supply a link.

    At your service:

    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/AROS_USB_support#USB_.E2.86.92_ethernet_convertor


    This list is for AROS but should be valid for MorphOS as well, I think.


    ---

    Thank you for your suggestions. I guess that the chipset on my wlan usb dongle is not supported. They sent me a minidisc with the dongle, with appropriate drivers for windows, but I don't see how to coax morphos into using the driver.
  • »19.04.17 - 02:17
    Profile