MorphOS 3.0 issues
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @danwood,

I'm not really sure what you mean with "freeze". If you mean transfer stall, it may be many different things, unrelated to network itself (layouting the page can take time, for intance). But 10s really seems like a LOT, though. Never saw that on my rather slow 8Mbps link.

As for your 24Mbps speed, it's actually not slow at all, it's really good, even. OWB itself has nothing to do with download speed, it does as much as the TCP stack allows, and since Netstack doesn't support TCP window scaling, you can't hope to get optimal speeds from inet (on LAN you will, of course).

As for wookiechat taking 15 minutes, it's very likely something else, use a less buggy client like Amirc. I would also avoid using amigift, it was really quite buggy last time i saw it.

[ Edited by Fab 11.06.2012 - 02:49 ]
  • »11.06.12 - 01:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gleng
    Hi all,

Bit of a weird problem here. I can't upgrade or install because IWizard doesn't believe I have an HFS partition. I tried upgrading from 2.7, then formatted my DH0 and DH1 partitions, but still no luck.

Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/jL08l.png

Any ideas?
  • »11.06.12 - 03:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    gleng,
    Quote:

Bit of a weird problem here. I can't upgrade or install because IWizard doesn't believe I have an HFS partition. I tried upgrading from 2.7, then formatted my DH0 and DH1 partitions, but still no luck.

Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/jL08l.png

I have the same problem on my 15" model 5.8 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook with 320gb WD hard drive inside and 2gb RAM. I don't know if the format of my partitions are being recognized incorrectly, or the manual partitioning part of the installation process is, that is failing to see that I do have the properly formatted partitions to complete the installation of MorphOS3.0? Make sure you post your solution here in this thread, if you find one, so members like myself that are having the same problem can see it. I have MacOSX10.5.8 installed on a 200gb partition of that 320gb hard drive, the smallest partition I could create for the Boot: partition was 896mb, then I created a 20gb System: partition and the rest of the drive is partitioned as my Work: partition.

I also have a 17", model 5.9 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook with a 120gb original hard drive installed by Apple that I decided to install MorphOS3.0 on the entire drive using the automatic partitioning installation process option and chose 12gb as my System: partition size and the rest of the drive as my Work: partition and the installation went smoothly without any problems. MorphOS3.0 has been working almost flawlessly on it since I finished the installation, with the only exception being a problem with the trackpad being too sensitive and making the cursor jump to a different location while typing. I turned down the sensitivity for the trackpad/touchpad in the MorphOS preferences, but it did not help. Since I have been using a USB mouse almost all the time, I also tried setting the touchpad speed setting all the way to slow as well and at the same time unchecked all of the check boxes in the TouchPad preferences screen. That appears to have fixed the TouchPad sensitivity problem and no more cursor jumping all over the place while typing, but I don't know if it was because of unchecking all the check boxes or slowing down the touchpad speed setting all the way, or a combination of both. My guess is that it is one or more of the check boxes being unchecked that fixed the problem.

Other than my temporary touchpad sensitivity problem while typing, I have not noticed any other glitches and MorphOS3.0 has worked great.

Thanks again to all of the MorphOS Dev. Team members for their usual great quality. MorphOS just keeps getting better and better with each new release.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.06.12 - 04:41
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    @Dave:
    Would you open a shell and type the "battery" command?
    Curious to see your output?
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »11.06.12 - 04:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gleng
    amigadave,
    Quote:

Make sure you post your solution here in this thread, if you find one, so members like myself that are having the same problem can see it.

Will do. I'm considering wiping the drive and doing a completely fresh install. (I don't really use the Linux partition anyway.) I don't know what could be wrong, as 2.7 worked like a charm.
  • »11.06.12 - 05:16
    hooligan
    Quote:

Same here, OWB averages about 24 mbps, but it will often get to around 90% of a page loading, and then freeze for 10 seconds and then load the last few k. Similar behaviour with Wookiechat, it will connect to a server, then freeze and slow the entire machine down for 2-15 mins until it finally times out and then re-connects, similar behaviour can be observed with Simplemail and Amigift.

Here too. Have rebooted three times in past 30 mins because OWB starts meditating right before the page loads, making it pretty much unusable. Haven't thought of waiting more than a minute or so, I always assumed OWB crashed.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »11.06.12 - 05:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Edited :)

[ Edited by itix 11.06.2012 - 07:02 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.06.12 - 05:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    Fab,
    Quote:

My mistake Fab, I meant 24Kbps not Mbps. By freezing, I mean same as hooligan reports above. Owb will report 24.1 of 24.9 Kbps in the progress bar, this part will speed by, then it will "stick" at a certain number for a long delay, then resume.

As I said, I don't think it's an external factor as the PC and AmigaOne sharing the network perform much faster. Other network related apps exhibit similar behaviour, I'm not too convinced its down to them all beng buggy.
  • »11.06.12 - 08:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Here too. Have rebooted three times in past 30 mins because OWB starts meditating right before the page loads, making it pretty much unusable. Haven't thought of waiting more than a minute or so, I always assumed OWB crashed.

got the same issue here on a powerbook 5.8, fresh install.
    But it seems better when you remove the flash plugin, can you confirm ?

[ Edited by SoundSquare 11.06.2012 - 13:33 ]
  • »11.06.12 - 12:22
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    The flash plugin *doesn't* work properly with MorphOS 3.0.

I suggest you install:
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/owb-morphos-1.17.lha
    and
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/plugins/swfdec_plugin-1.2.lha (yes 1.2, not 1.3, and redownload it).

It will solve all your flash issues.
  • »11.06.12 - 14:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Dragster
    amigadave,
    Quote:

Hi.. I was able to resize my OSX partition and install MorphOS 3.0 on my Powerbook without killing the OSX partition.

The little trick here is that DH0: must be called "Boot" and it must be formatted as HFS.....

So, for iWizard to recognize the boot partition, you must dismount it first...if it shows up in ambient, then open mounter as the guide says and mount it as HFS (not HFS+)... then quick format it... then continue iWizard and it will recognized. In other words, iWizard does not recognize it since
    it's mounted as HFS+...

Hope that helps,

Dragster.
  • »11.06.12 - 14:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    hooligan,
    Quote:

ave rebooted three times in past 30 mins because OWB starts meditating right before the page loads, making it pretty much unusable. Haven't thought of waiting more than a minute or so, I always assumed OWB crashed.

I blamed it on something in Pack ultimate I installed MOS 3 over or some sly tweak I made somewhere and forgot about. Made a clean install including killing both my partitions, en voìla...
  • »11.06.12 - 17:23
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    marmotta
    I have powermac (sawtooth) dual g4 500mhz with flashed radeon 9800pro 256mb

Mos 2.7 work great... now i have installed mos3.0 and my system (from cd and from hd) go slow... very slow! Slow same over 30 minutes mode. Why?

[ Edited by marmotta 11.06.2012 - 18:59 ]
  • »11.06.12 - 18:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Probably you didn't upgrade and wipeout old installation with key file from DEVS: directory (if your 2.7 was registered..)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »11.06.12 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    marmotta
    pampers,
    Quote:

I not registred user... And the system has slow from the first second of use.
  • »11.06.12 - 19:43
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gleng
    Dragster,
    Quote:

The little trick here is that DH0: must be called "Boot" and it must be formatted as HFS.....

So, for iWizard to recognize the boot partition, you must dismount it first...if it shows up in ambient, then open mounter as the guide says and mount it as HFS (not HFS+)... then quick format it... then continue iWizard and it will recognized. In other words, iWizard does not recognize it since
    it's mounted as HFS+...

I tried reformatting DH0: but I'm still getting the same problem. It was definitely formatted to HFS (not plus) before because I've been booting MorphOS 2.7 from it.

Hmm, this is really strange. I shall keep trying.

EDIT: I've tried pretty much everything I can think of. I think I'll just wipe the disk and start again.

EDIT 2: OK, I've wiped my hard disk and reinstalled from scratch without issue. The only thing I can think of is that IWizard may have decided to suddenly hate the Apple_bootstrap partition (required for dual boot with Linux) at the beginning of the disk. No idea why, as it worked perfectly with MorphOS 2.7. Oh well!

[ Edited by gleng 11.06.2012 - 23:58 ]
  • »11.06.12 - 20:32
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    I was able to install MorphOS 3.0 on my PBOOK 1.67 today.
    But I cannot boot from OSX anymore. Maybe I messed up with partitions while manual editing them. Currently HDConfig shows the following:

* DH0: 64MB HFS 5% used
    * - 128MB ???
    * DH2: 63.98GB HFS NODOS (this is the OSX partition)
    * DH1: 10.36GB SFS 1% used (this is MorphOS partition)
    * - 8KB ???

When holding ALT during boot, only MorphOS HD is shown as bootable.
    Any ideas about how can I fix it?
  • »12.06.12 - 02:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Yes, the Linux bootstrap partition is likely to cause problems.
  • »12.06.12 - 03:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @muffie

Assuming you didn't totally mess it up, run HDConfig, select DH2 and check 'Show Apple Partition Map specific options'. A valid OSX partition here has Valid, Read, Allocated, Mount and Write options selected and no other.

I fear though that since it says 'NODOS', you might have accidentally either resized it under HDConfig or formatted it - in which case I'd just try to reinstall OSX on it.
  • »12.06.12 - 03:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    Actually I did resized and moved it using HDConfig. Why that option is available if it's not working?
    It can't be mounted inside MorphOS neither inside DiskUtility (Leopard Installation DVD)
    Any chance of saving it?
  • »12.06.12 - 03:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    osco,
    Quote:

@Dave: Would you open a shell and type the "battery" command?
    Curious to see your output?

Not sure why you want this info osco, but the resulting message is this:

12V / 4Ah battery found. Current battery level is 98 %.

Update on my experience using MorphOS3.0:

Since I suffer from insomnia, I did not sleep last night after I installed MorphOS3.0 on my model 5.9 17" G4 PowerBook w/1gb RAM & 120gb hard drive, display set at 1680x1050. Before I report more about MorphOS3.0 running on this PowerBook I have to explain that when running MacOSX 10.5.8 on this computer I would occasionally experience kernel panics, or sometimes an unknown lockup, which I had hoped was being caused by an unmatched pair of RAM dimms, when I had 1.5gb of RAM installed in it, but the problems still happened occasionally after I removed the 512mb dimm and went back to only 1gb of RAM, so the memory apparently is not the problem. I was hoping that I would not experience any of these mysterious lockups while running MorphOS3.0, but have already had a couple of them today.

After I installed MorphOS3.0, I first edited the install script for the Pack Ultimate, so it would accept being installed on a system with MorphOS3.0, instead of MorphOS2.7. I then downloaded and installed the latest version of Grunch and used it to update any of the software that the Pack Ultimate installed, as a lot of it was not the most current versions available. Grunch is great for this purpose.

I then noticed that the MorphOS SDK did not get installed fully, or correctly (don't know if it was supposed to be included with MorphOS3.0, or if it was the Pack Ultimate that had tried to install the SDK, but in any case, I also noticed that Grunch does not allow the user to adjust the location for the SDK to be installed and that because the partial installation of the SDK was not in the place that Grunch expected it to be, Grunch was not able to Un-install the SDK, so that I could attempt to install it again. Since there was an assign or two for the SDK within the Startup-Sequence, I could not delete all of the SDK until I first disabled the assign statements in the Startup-Sequence temporarily.

I then edited the Grunch database entry for the MorphOS SDK, so I could choose where it would be installed, but I must have missed something, because I still could not enter a directory location inside of Grunch for the installation of the SDK and just installed it where ever it was going to go, but then found that within the installation script I was able to choose the location and it appears that the SDK is not installed fully, but I have not tested it yet. After the installation, I re-enabled the SDK assign statements in the Startup-Sequence and have been testing MorphOS3.0 for hours last night and today.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »12.06.12 - 04:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The Morphzone Library has a guide on how to setup dual boot and it specifically says to resize the partition using OSX or Linux - for a reason. Our HD config tool actually asks if you are really sure what you're doing before saving partition layout changes and warns it might result in data loss. In your case - it did. Sorry but I don't think your data can be easily restored.
  • »12.06.12 - 05:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    You're actually right. I was tempted to resize and move through HDConfig.
    Well installing and reinstalling stuff is actually part of the fun! :)

Another question, with 3.0, Radeon R300s get full 3D Acceleration? Besides my Powerbook, I also have a quicksilver with a Radeon 9600XT....
  • »12.06.12 - 09:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    The network speed is indeed increased alot from 2.7 , but there is still some weird behaviour: Download speed (from network drive over LAN) with smbfs is good, upto 15 Mbytes/s , but upload is speed terribly slow, this is most likely smbfs fault. But when using Transfer the download speed is pretty poor, about 2-3 Mbytes/s, yet upload may reach upto 20 Mbytes/s...
  • »12.06.12 - 12:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Hi Dave,

Sorry to see your still having issues with your powerbook. I still bet it is memory related. I had a terrible time when I bought mine used, kernal panics just like you.

I would suggest trying additional memory. I broke down and bought new memory from owc and that fixed my problem. I have a pair of 1 gig chips and it works great now.

I talked to mac folks and the powerbooks is very picky about memory. That's why I bought from owc, they have 'mac' certified memory and they specialize in mac stuff.

If you buy new memory, I would recommend you pick up a Mercury Legacy SSD. The speed is smashingly good.

OSX is really a bloated piece of software. It took 1.5 minutes to boot and there is lag in everything. I have the idential 5.9 powerbook you do with an SSD and I was so under impressed with the OS. My Amiga buddies who became Mac users, got an earful when they came over to tell me how I found great the Mac was.
    I even purchased coreplayer to almost play HD video.

With MOS 3, boot time is 5 seconds, hd video hasn't been a problem, and most operations are instantaneous. Now I have to have the Mac uses over to tell them to switch to MOS!

Let me know if the memory worked.

Take care,

Matt
  • »12.06.12 - 13:21