Quality software
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    From the "ARM for the future thread"

ASiegel,
    Quote:

I am certain it is fair to say that the majority of visitors of this website value quality software much more than raw processing power or hardware feature lists. Since you are a frequent poster, it is surprising to me that you consider Cortex A8-based ARM hardware options to be too slow, yet you buy even slower hardware from manufacturers who spend very few resources on software development and testing and represent opposite values regarding the priority of software and hardware when you compare them with MorphOS.

I suppose the mystery of consumer behaviour continues...

I've been thinking about Andre's comment this morning and there's something that bothers me. I'm not sure how to react to it.

The Windows CE 7 netbook I recently bought was shipped critically crippled with a non-functional wireless connection and a really poor operating system that featured a browser that was essentially useless.

Given these problems, my reaction was to find an alternate OS.
    I probably could have found an alternate browser and I could have used the Smartbook with a Cat5 cable or a device similar to the one AmigaDave has mentioned, but I choose not to compromise.

Thinking about this I was forced to realize the parallel that exists with MorphOS 3.0.
    While we do have a functional browser and we can use a wired network connection (or use a device like I previously mentioned), when 3.0 is released we won't have wireless (without an external device).

I don't know about all of you, but since I have a Power mac I can live with this. And I look forward to the new features promised in 3.0 (I already have a bootable SATA card ready).

However, if I wanted to use a Powerbook, this would be a serious limitation.

The primary utility of a laptop is its portability.

Sure, this could change with a future release.

But with the choice of using MorphOS 3.0 on a Powerbook or OSX, I'd choose OSX (and that is unfortunate).

I understand that this is a question of functionality and the desire not to offer a feature that does not work correctly (the basic desire to retain the quality aspect of MorphOS that we've all been able to enjoy).

And I do revel in the fact that a MorphOS device will have more utility and reliability then another Microsoft driven device I recently purchased.

But I can't temper my current disappointment in the decision not to focus on wireless functionality (in 3.0).

And I apologize for any unintended negative tone.

Jim Igou
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.06.12 - 18:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I completely understand your disappointment with the recent news from one or two MorphOS Dev. Team members stating that there will be no wireless connectivity at all provided with MorphOS3.0, but I also understand the reasoning of the Dev. Team to want to release MorphOS3.0 sooner, rather than some months later, with a working wireless connectivity option of some kind or other. The fact is, I am sure they would prefer to have wireless connectivity working for MorphOS3.0, if they had the manpower to make it happen in time for the MorphOS3.0 release. I also believe that the MorphOS Dev. Team wanted to have MorphOS3.0 ready for release by Jan. 1st, 2012, but for some reason(s), it did not meet their usual standards of quality and completion, so they have been working very hard to get it finished as quickly as possible, so they can release it to an impatient group of MorphOS users and new users who are waiting for a PowerBook release, before they decide to take the plunge into the world of MorphOS computing.

I just ordered a new main battery for both of my G4 PowerBook's. I will report back once the new batteries arrive, as to how much using the WNCE2001-100NAR's provided USB power wire connected to the PowerBook's USB port, shortens the time I can use the PowerBook on battery power. I would perform the test with my current batteries, but I don't think that they hold their charge nearly as long as the time remaining gauge shows.

By using this USB power wire with the WNCE2001-100NAR and a G4 PowerBook running MorphOS3.0, it will temporarily solve the lack of wireless connectivity problem and allow portability while connected to the Ethernet cable from the WNCE2001-100NAR, which is connected to your WLAN. The WNCE2001-100NAR is so small and light, and it comes with some velcro tape, so you can attach it to your G4 PowerBook and carry it around for complete portability. I was concerned that the G4 PowerBook's USB port could not provide enough electrical current to power the WNCE2001-100NAR, but I have it plugged in as I am typing this and it is working, at least with my charger plugged into my G4 PowerBook. As soon as my PowerBook battery is fully charged, I will remove the charger and find out if the USB port still provides enough electrical current to power the WNCE2001-100NAR.

Edit: I can't believe that I missed the announcement that MorphOS3.0 had been released before the message I typed above. Congrats to all the MorphOS3.0 Developers for completing this major release. It is a milestone in the world of MorphOS and should be celebrated wildly.

[ Edited by amigadave 08.06.2012 - 13:32 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.06.12 - 20:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I use TP-Link device named TL-MR 3020 for the same purpose. Works very good as WiFi client, connected to PowerBook via Ethernet and USB for power. An additional feature of this device is support for 3G modems, too bad I have none.
  • »08.06.12 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Krashan,
    Quote:

I use TP-Link device named TL-MR 3020 for the same purpose. Works very good as WiFi client, connected to PowerBook via Ethernet and USB for power. An additional feature of this device is support for 3G modems, too bad I have none.

Do you have any problems powering your TP-Link device from the G4 PowerBook's USB port while running the PowerBook on battery power, instead of the charger? The reason I ask is because I have read that the PowerBook's USB ports do not provide enough power to support external hard drives and possibly other external USB powered devices. When ever I need to backup my Mac partition to an external hard drive, I must connect it to a self powered USB hub and then to the PowerBook, otherwise the external hard drive will not work.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.06.12 - 23:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Do you have any problems powering your TP-Link device from the G4 PowerBook's USB port while running the PowerBook on battery power, instead of the charger?

No. The device is very low power when working as WiFi client. I don't know how it be when connecting 3G modem (another device to power). When I've tried to use my cellphone as cellular modem (Samsung GT-S5620), the phone started to charge its battery from USB, then PowerBook shut down the port, even if the PowerBook itself was powered from AC mains. But then the phone does not work stable as a 3G modem with this TP-Link device (I have a 3G connected, and working, but drops after a minute). It is not listed as supported device however (contacted TP-Link customer support in this regard). I guess when I use a regular "pendrive style" 3G modem, it will work. For now the WAF for 3G modem is too low ;-).

Of course TL-MR 3020 device has an option to be powered from AC too (PSU included), but it is not a truly portable solution.

PowerBook's USB ports do not provide enough power to support external hard drives

This is unfortunately true. I've bought a cheap external USB case for my 40 GB PATA 2.5" disk. While it works great with one port of Pegasos 2 and one port of Mac mini, it does not work with PowerBook. I have to use active (powered) USB hub for it.
  • »09.06.12 - 08:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    On the chance of being pedantic... since a few years I have a 120GB disc that works like a charm with one port on any given laptop (PB included).

Mind you, it's 1.8" :-)
  • »09.06.12 - 09:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Jim,
    Quote:

Given these problems, my reaction was to find an alternate OS.

Regarding that solution on Windows 8 ARM devices, I still remind you that Microsoft specifically prohibits hardware manufacturers from letting users install whatever operating system they might want.

There might be some really slim chance for linux (with pre-loaded keys), but (rounded down), absolutely none for MorphOS.
    Quote:

for ARM devices, Custom Mode is prohibited: "On an ARM system, it is forbidden to enable Custom Mode. Only Standard Mode may be enable." [sic] Nor will users have the choice to simply disable secure boot, as they will on non-ARM systems: "Disabling Secure [Boot] MUST NOT be possible on ARM systems." [sic] Between these two requirements, any ARM device that ships with Windows 8 will never run another operating system, unless it is signed with a preloaded key or a security exploit is found that enables users to circumvent secure boot.

(I guess that's what Microsoft means with customer having full control :-P)

[ Edited by Jupp3 09.06.2012 - 14:14 ]
  • »09.06.12 - 13:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, I must admit to seriously disliking Microsoft even though I've got a copy of each of the last revisions to Windows (I'm NOT going to Win8 though)..

And I again appologize for the negative tone in the initial posting.
    Since my primary PC decided to blow up with an unrecoversable BSOD yesterday, I down to using my Power mac (which I haven't ungraded to 3.0 yet).

I must say, I've never had MorphOS crash in anywhere near as spectacular a fashion as Microsoft OS'.

And Win8 support for ARN is a no-brainer as Win CE 7 REALLY blows.

BTW - I am impressed with the resourcefulnessof the Linux community.

The Debian build I have on my Smartbook runs with an Android kernal, has two streamlined browser available for it, a media player and an available Youtube player.

And it actually works fairly well.

NOT as good (I'm sure) as MorphOS on a Powerbook. Burt then, it was cheaper (device -$39, OS free).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.06.12 - 18:11
  • Just looking around
    mdarren
    It seems like going mobile is the path most companies are really eying to penetrate and who could blame them with the thought of how things are likely to take that route when things go out of control on any other option.

You just have to make sure that you have the best hardware out there to be able to lead on it, and not be worried that much with all the other options available in the market.
  • »19.06.12 - 15:39