Raspberry Pi
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    Is there an AROS for ARM devices that isn't Linux hosted?
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »19.08.12 - 23:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there an AROS for ARM devices that isn't Linux hosted?

No.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/ARM_support
  • »20.08.12 - 08:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Does this news:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2221

plus the news that the Raspberry Pi can now be software over-clocked to 800MHz to 1GHz make the Raspberry Pi any more attractive as a possible low end, low power, extremely low price, target for MorphOS4.x, IF/WHEN MorphOS ever gets ported to the ARM architecture?

I would not want the Raspberry Pi to be the only ARM hardware that is supported, because there are many more ARM boards that have more power & speed, and if the MorphOS Dev. Team is going to go with a port to the ARM architecture, I am sure many/most users who are interested in the ARM port will want to see MorphOS4.x running on the most powerful ARM hardware that is available, and not the weak Raspberry Pi.

What I wonder though, is how the performance of the Raspberry Pi compares to the Efika 5200b, and if the Open Source driver for the GPU on the Raspberry Pi will make running MorphOS4.x a good experience? Probably too early for anyone to tell, but an interesting question, and the only reason right now that I would be interested in a port of MorphOS to the ARM architecture.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.11.12 - 03:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    if the Open Source driver for the GPU on the Raspberry Pi will make running MorphOS4.x a good experience?

The question is why Raspberry Pi people don't just make detailed technical documentation available? In my opinion they do not care about any other system than Linux. It is possible that market of really free (in the sense of freedom of information) ARM hardware will grow, but we need a few years more.
  • »21.11.12 - 07:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @amigadave

This is sadly a totally bullshit announcement. If you read the source code for this pseudo open-source driver, you can see it's just a wrapper for a closed-source binary blob where the real driver code is.

And there is no documentation anyway.

So, nothing changed and whoever is responsible for this should be ashamed for life.
  • »21.11.12 - 10:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The question is why Raspberry Pi people don't just make detailed technical
    > documentation available?

My guess is that this is a restriction imposed by Broadcom.
  • »21.11.12 - 11:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Henes wrote:,
    Quote:

@amigadave

This is sadly a totally bullshit announcement. If you read the source code for this pseudo open-source driver, you can see it's just a wrapper for a closed-source binary blob where the real driver code is.

And there is no documentation anyway.

So, nothing changed and whoever is responsible for this should be ashamed for life.

That is really disappointing! The person responsible for the announcement should be publicly flogged for posting misinformation like this and getting the hopes on non-technical people like me up in the air.
  • »21.11.12 - 21:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Not MorphOS but perhaps interesting for some here. AROS now boots natively on Raspberry PI:

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=50&topic_id=7720&viewmode=compact&order=ASC&type=&mode=0
  • »15.03.13 - 12:27
    CountRaven
    Quote:

> Is there an AROS for ARM devices that isn't Linux hosted?

Quote:

No.

I just read on amigaworld.net that AROS now boots natively on Rasp.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=37366&forum=2&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0

Quote:

Well got a fresh one for you: Kalamatee been able to boot AROS native on Raspberry PI right now, so porting going on!!!

IMG_20130315_003257_zpsf11b836e.jpg
  • »15.03.13 - 13:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I just read on amigaworld.net that AROS now boots natively on Rasp.

I guess OlafSch beat you to it :-)
  • »15.03.13 - 16:24
    CountRaven
    Quote:

I guess OlafSch beat you to it :-)

Ooops yes true story, now I noticed his post hahaha!
  • »15.03.13 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Forget all this capitalistic crap, and port MorphOS to this! :-P
    images
  • »15.03.13 - 20:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    i own the two devices, Efika MX and Raspberry Pi and while the Efika is much more well designed in terms of hardware, it performs poorly compared to the Raspberry Pi. Genesi was supposed to have access to documentation and stuff from Freescale but the linux images available for the Efika always lack something in drivers or functionality (not mentionning the rare updates), it has an unfinished feel that the raspberry pi doesn't have. I've been able to do much more things on my rasp than on the efika even if i really prefer the efika. I suppose the dev community size and commercial success really matters here.
  • »16.03.13 - 18:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    Efika MX was well supported by Genesi's Ubuntu (BT, 3G by phone or internal modem). It was very slooooowwww, but stable. After that I tested Bodhilinux (looks fine, but unusable in real life), Debian images I found on powerdeveloper...

Now I use Debian 7.0, and there is no bluetooth, also I can not use mobile phone as modem (it seems, internal Huawei EM770W modem is dead :( )

It seems, Genesi lost interest in Efika i.MX515 at least year ago.
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »16.03.13 - 19:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Jupp3,
    Quote:

Forget all this capitalistic crap, and port MorphOS to this!
    images

Naa, if you want to be obscure you want the MCST KM-4.
    A real Russian computer with it's own Elbrus 2C + dual core VLIW processor.

Even has SATA, PCIe etc... See here.
  • »16.03.13 - 20:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    minator,
    Quote:

Naa, if you want to be obscure you want the MCST KM-4.
    A real Russian computer with it's own Elbrus 2C + dual core VLIW processor.

Even has SATA, PCIe etc... See here.

I actually find the Russian motherboard interesting.
    PCIe expansion and SATA? Only 500 MHz, but not that much slower then the Pi.

BTW - Why do we keep discussing weak ARM based systems when better options are out there.
    Why not the Chromebook?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.03.13 - 21:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why not the Chromebook?

...or the ArndaleBoard?
  • »17.03.13 - 12:16
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TomKeric
    I think ARM is the best future route fo MorphOS. A €35 light/stripped MOS version ported for RPi would be a perfect match to raise awareness until Cortex 64 bit A57 is brought to market. RPi have many benefits to piggy back on that attracts interest:

1 it is REALLY small - yet a real computer
    2. It is unique new appoach
    3. It has 512 mb mem and cpu can be overclocked up to 1000MGz
    4. It is fun
    5. It can be used as mediaplayer.
    6. It needs a good and light OS when you like to surf, play simple games etc
    7. It is selling big volumes so many can come in contact with MorphOS, preparing them for more powerful hardware on cortex A57 in 1-2 years
    -If you've never failed, you've never tried -
  • »17.03.13 - 22:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Jim,
    Quote:

I actually find the Russian motherboard interesting.
    PCIe expansion and SATA? Only 500 MHz, but not that much slower then the Pi.

It's not comparable with the Pi. The Pi has an ARM11 which IIRC is a single issue pipeline (it can issue 1 instruction per cycle).
    The Elbrus core is quite different, it can issue 23 instructions per cycle, including several (6 I think) double precision floating point ops.

It's quite exotic!
  • »17.03.13 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It has 512 mb mem

...which is shared with the GPU.
  • »17.03.13 - 23:00
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    minator,
    Quote:

The Elbrus core is quite different, it can issue 23 instructions per cycle, including several (6 I think) double precision floating point ops.

Neat. Russian Spark CPU.
    How hard is it to obtain Russian hardware?

I shipped a 1.42GHz Power mac processor in (to Moscow), but I have never tried to order something from there.

[ Edited by Jim 18.03.2013 - 00:44 ]
  • »17.03.13 - 23:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Russian Spark CPU.

MCST's Elbrus-2C+ CPU implements Elbrus VLIW ISA natively and x86 ISA through dynamic binary translation (similar to Transmeta's Crusoe and Efficeon CPUs), but not SPARC ISA. MCST has developed other CPUs that are SPARC-compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus-2C%2B
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_2000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCST-R1000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_(computer)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Center_of_SPARC_Technologies_(MCST)
  • »18.03.13 - 09:49
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thank you, Andreas.
    Something tells me the Russians are not that interested in commercializing this.

Mostly for their own use?
  • »18.03.13 - 11:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    TomKeric wrote:,
    Quote:

I think ARM is the best future route fo MorphOS. A €35 light/stripped MOS version ported for RPi would be a perfect match to raise awareness until Cortex 64 bit A57 is brought to market. RPi have many benefits to piggy back on that attracts interest:

1 it is REALLY small - yet a real computer
    2. It is unique new appoach
    3. It has 512 mb mem and cpu can be overclocked up to 1000MGz
    4. It is fun
    5. It can be used as mediaplayer.
    6. It needs a good and light OS when you like to surf, play simple games etc
    7. It is selling big volumes so many can come in contact with MorphOS, preparing them for more powerful hardware on cortex A57 in 1-2 years

I agree that porting MorphOS3.x to the Raspberry Pi "could be" a good way to spread awareness of MorphOS3.x to thousands of users who would probably otherwise never hear about it, but in answer to your 7 points above:

1. Yes it is small, but the definition of what is a "real computer" is debatable.
    2. You did not say what part of the Raspberry Pi you thought was so unique, but I guess I can agree that one or more the technologies used with the Raspberry Pi are done in a unique way.
    3. Stating the obvious.
    4. Subjective assessment, your level of "fun" is dependent on what you think is fun and what you are going to do with your Raspberry Pi. Running MorphOS3.x on my Raspberry Pi would be fun for me.
    5. Again, stating the obvious, but lots more work would probably be needed to allow the Raspberry Pi to be even close to as good a media player while running MorphOS3.x, as it currently is while running Linux.
    6. MorphOS3.x is a very nice and very lightweight OS that could be a perfect fit for the Raspberry Pi, but we still need tons more software to make a port to any hardware successful with the general public, instead of just former Amiga users. I think that with more native MorphOS software, it could be attractive to many users who are currently Non-MorphOS users.
    7. The potential for increased exposure for MorphOS3.x, if ported to the Raspberry Pi, is huge, but it would only be good exposure and successful, if the port of MorphOS3.x to the Raspberry Pi also included the same level of graphics drivers which are currently available, that allow Linux to run 1080p video at respectable frame rates on the Raspberry Pi, plus more software that is needed and usually expected by the general computing user, and which is currently lacking in the MorphOS community. As for the Raspberry Pi being a good choice as a first port to any ARM based computer device, the price is certainly right, so I say "why not". When the MorphOS Dev. Team is ready to make the jump to a different architecture, they could do a lot worse than the Raspberry Pi. ;-)
  • »18.03.13 - 19:57
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TomKeric
    I agree Amigadave

What is unique with RPi is that it is so small in combination with trying to be a real desktop computer. And it is available at a superlow price. Takes little energy.

It has a coolness factor. It would be a great kick to make a nice MorphOS case for it and run morphos. Having your desktop computer in your pocket. Have already seen blue cases suited for the butterfly and raspberry.

You meed to be able to watch movies on youtube/vimeo, use it as a mediaplayer for hd videos annd music. You need to be able to surf the web,and install libre office and some games.
    Possibility for extreme customizing of your desktop is needed - personilze your MorphPI

If ou get this unto it you have reached really far,

If you can do at least above you
    -If you've never failed, you've never tried -
  • »18.03.13 - 23:26