youtube and video playback, best programs
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    i was playing with one of my eMac 1.25ghz machines the other day with morphos 2.7 and found that with mplayer it really couldn't play youtubes well. I did manage to play them though ONLY if I downloaded the mp4 file first - but... it was pretty out of sync and lots of missing frames. I also converted the same video to mpeg2 and it worked fine, but an annoying step.

I then tried OSX and was surprised on the same machine, it played youtube videos almost flawlessly.

I am wondering if I don't have the best version of mplayer - mplayer is supposed to play youtube direct, but the one i have doesn't, any suggestions or tips in how to make a 1.25ghz emac running morphos play videos (local) and via youtube as good or better than osx?

thanks
  • »10.02.12 - 16:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    I have an 800Mhz Power Mac and I can play Youtube videos up to 480P flawlessly. Your emac should do a better job. Make sure you have the newest version of OWB and read the readme included in the archive on to on how to improve Youtube playback with HTML5. There are a couple of scripts you need to enable. It is pretty easy. Once you enable these scripts, play in overlay mode.

Make sure you spoof as a Youtube supported browser, such as Safari.

[ Edited by redrumloa 10.02.2012 - 10:08 ]
  • »10.02.12 - 17:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Make sure you spoof as a Youtube supported browser, such as Safari.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=9&topic_id=8005&start=20

This is still in effect here.
  • »10.02.12 - 17:48
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
     @zhulien

MPlayer has no problem streaming youtube content, but better make sure you don't go higher than 480p quality, because 720p webm or h264 might be a bit too much (without tweaking, at least).

And of course, it's even easier to play youtube directly in OWB itself. As stated above, read carefully the youtube section in the readme (basically you just need to sign in on the html5 program and also add 2 userscripts in the script manager).

Ah, and this script was updated since latest OWB release: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/scripts/YouTube_Fullscreen_Fix.js (it's needed to use overlay in youtube's own HTML5 player, instead of their fullscreen thing that slows us down a lot).
  • »10.02.12 - 18:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you just need to sign in on the html5 program

As said, this isn't even required here anymore. Is it really needed for you?

> also add 2 userscripts in the script manager

Here I just need one (YouTube_Fullscreen_Fix.js).
  • »10.02.12 - 18:52
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @Andreas

Not all videos are available as HTML5 yet, thus youtube.js is also needed for these ones (besides, this other builtin player is a bit faster than the youtube's one).
  • »10.02.12 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Not all videos are available as HTML5 yet, thus youtube.js is also needed for these ones

But then you don't "need to sign in on the html5 program" anyway, right?
  • »10.02.12 - 20:29
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    @Fab

How about support for youtube links in MPlayer, like the SMPlayer QT GUI has in its latest version?
  • »11.02.12 - 16:32
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    analogkid,
    Quote:

How about support for youtube links in MPlayer, like the SMPlayer QT GUI has in its latest version?

What's wrong with GetVideo? I'm using it with the OWB and IBrowse still to download videos or stream in MPlayer window if I want to continue surfing elsewhere while watching.
  • »11.02.12 - 17:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    @jPV

Nothing wrong with GetVideo, I was just giving a feature suggestion for the MorphOS MPlayer.
  • »12.02.12 - 07:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    thanks for the tips, i did try download the latest OWB but couldn't do so before the morphos demo timed out and went to slow mode - sadly it's the catch 22 between registering for a possible too slow machine vs seeing it work first...
  • »13.02.12 - 07:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @zhulien,

Set up a shared partition that both MacOSX and MorphOS can read and write to and then download any large files you need using Firefox, or TenFourFox on MacOSX and place the files in that partition, so you can access them from MorphOS2.7 and get a better experience checking out MorphOS2.7 before you decide to register and buy a keyfile.

Not sure why you can't download what you need during the 30 minutes the demo version runs before slowing down, but maybe you have a slow connection, or the site hosting what ever file you are after has some kind of bottleneck, or speed limitations that is preventing you from being able to download the file in less than 30 minutes.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.02.12 - 08:32