Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    I have asked this to gpsoft, the owner of Directory Opus Magellan II:

The other question is, would it be
    possible to open the source (f.e. for using it in Aros) and how much would you want to have for it? I would ask to make a bounty for it, perhaps there is enough interest.

And the answer was:
    For the source, we would want something like A$5-10K.

What do you think? Should we make a bounty?
  • »23.01.12 - 10:02
    Kronos
    Just doesn't make any sense for MorphOS (if there are still features missing in Ambient it's better to add/fix them there then porting something new).

As for AROS, allready answererd elsewhere.
  • »23.01.12 - 10:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    What part of Opus Magellan II do you want that you think is missing from MorphOS2.7 right now?

I think the directory and file handling in MorphOS's Ambient are pretty good just the way they are now, but since I was not a big user of Opus Magellan II, there might be other features that Opus Magellan II that I am unfamiliar with, that are missing from Ambient, but I doubt that the community will raise $5k to $10k to purchase the source code for 2 or 3 missing features that could probably be added to Ambient at zero cost.

[ Edited by amigadave 23.01.2012 - 01:17 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.01.12 - 10:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    at least in the OS4 camp I read that they wished to have Magellan. Of course it might be different in MorphOS but I think it is a chance to have a cross-platform bounty because it could be interesting at least for OS3, Aros and AOS (and some MorphOS-User)
  • »23.01.12 - 10:21
    hooligan
    Dopus beats any desktop hands down any day. In fact the less you spent in desktop and more in Dopus the more efficient you are :)

But.. its quite big gap between 5000 and 10000.. can't see this realise any time soon.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »23.01.12 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    it is too much for one camp but it is (more or less) interesting for all camps. So I think it is ambitious but not unrealistic.
  • »23.01.12 - 10:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Should we make a bounty?

I'm rather indifferent regarding this question but would like to add that one year ago GPSoft's Greg Perry has already agreed to Power2People as the bounty site:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=616336
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=616351
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=616445

But unfortunately this didn't come to pass:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=634656
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=634725
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=634824
  • »23.01.12 - 10:57
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    II don't see the use of it. Dir Opus Magellan II would be nice for a crappy OS without usable GUI like TOS or DOS or maybe Aros, because Wanderer is far from being good. But on Morphos it's like replacing a Ferrari with a Golf.
  • »23.01.12 - 11:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I tought it already worked on MorphOS ?

That said, raising the money is one thing but who is goign to port it ? Another bounty ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »23.01.12 - 11:17
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    I have always used filer in aos and mos. Used climate in the beginning.

I have friends who like it and have demoed all the things they do with it, but always enjoyed filer for simplicity.

I will say that for the PC, I use Enriva's Magellan explorer. Don't know if there is any relation to the Amiga Magellan.
  • »23.01.12 - 11:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I tought it already worked on MorphOS ?

Indeed, it does like a charm. I think this bounty would be more aimed at making the program run on AROS/x86 and maybe OS4. There's not much in such a bounty for MorphOS users given that the full and registered version has been made available legally one month ago.
  • »23.01.12 - 11:59
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'm still running it with the latest MorphOS too and would probably donate something for open sourcing as it would give possibility to fix small little issues and add compatibility etc.

Although Ambient has advanced a lot and it's hands down the best default desktop for any Amiga platform ever, but it still isn't up to Magellan2 in efficiency and all the features. Ambient is on good path to clone Magellan2 features, but there's still something missing, partly done, simplified (not bad thing always) or just have some technical limitations to be as good as on Magellan2.

Some features why I'm using Magellan2 still with Ambient: Magellan2's Start Menus are much better than Ambient Panels currently, integrated ftp, very versatile hotkey settings, scripts, nice arexx features, better inline editing in listers (in Magellan2 you can edit all fields like dates and protection bits), copying filenames to clipboard works better, etc.

In any case Ambient also has some new more modern features, support for modern techniques and eye candy etc, which obsoletes the option to run Magellan2 as complete desktop replacement.

But luckily both Ambient and Magellan2 can coexist just fine on the same screen with couple of 3rd party launchers. You can use whichever you want for the current task. And Magellan2's Start Menus, hotkeys etc work "transparently" on Ambient screen so that it isn't that noticeable what's the underlying program which does the job.

[ Edited by jPV 23.01.2012 - 16:42 ]
  • »23.01.12 - 15:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    OlafSch,

I think the biggest problem with this bounty is that there are already three open source desktop implementations. None of them are Magellan II but it is not essential application like Poseidon.

Anyway, I think this is the last chance for GPSoft to make money out of Magellan II so maybe they settle for less money. But don't except it would get much development even as open source. If there is lot of 68k asm code then AROS x86 port is impossible or difficult/laborous. It also means adding new features is difficult and you can expect only bug fixes + new bugs.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »23.01.12 - 17:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    What I am missing is support for large files and I hope that is
    a possible task if the sources get released.

@jPV

Thanks, I wanted to write down why I am still using Magellan more than Ambient, but you already did a perfect job.
  • »23.01.12 - 17:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

There's not much in such a bounty for MorphOS users given that the full and registered version has been made available legally one month ago.

Hmm, wonder if it would be possible to make a Grunch-script that installs it on MorphOS from the Amikit package and applies the necessary settings, patches and additional SW to make it run as good as possible, with an accompanying uninstall script as well? ;-) :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.01.12 - 19:05
    Miky060
    I am a big fan of Magellan since ages and I have always used it on all my computers as total desktop replacement, even on MorphOS. Since MorphOS 2.6 I literally "forced myself" to say bye bye to Magellan and to use only Ambient as desktop. This because Ambient improved in last years and because I started to think that using a 68k old desktop nowadays is anachronistic. But this has not been easy, Magellan is much more powerfull than Ambient, who does not think this probably does not know real power of Magellan.
    In every case I do not want to start a debate on Magellan, neigter I would ask to make Ambient a Magellan clone, many people would not agree, but there is a little function that I badly would like to see implemented into Ambient and that I think it's not so hard to implement: I'm referring at the way that Magellan handles Source/Destination listers. Under Magellan you can open 2 listers and have one of them marked as "source" and the other as "destination". In this way you can easily select some files from the source and copy/move them on the destination path with just one click. On Ambient you can manage files easily, since time you can have "listers" appearing with a double click on the desktop ala Magellan, BUT you have to copy them in the clipboard, then click on the destination lister to activate it and then paste them. Obviously you cna use also the drag and drop in certain cases.
    I think that if MOS team would implement the Opus way to manage the source/destination listers many old Magellan users would be very happy and personally I would miss it less. Obviously this way to operate could be made an option to be set by the user, so that people not familiar to Opus or that does not like it can continue to use the normal way Ambient to handles listers.
    Asking to implement this is really so hard work for the MOS Team? I do not remember, itix are you the person that works on Ambient? If so, what do you think about this little request? I remember that other people in the past already asked for it.. You would have all my respect for sure! :-D

[ Edited by Miky060 23.01.2012 - 19:35 ]

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »23.01.12 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    @takemehomegrandma

I suspect that this would require permission from Amikit, and would be dependent upon any limitations of the DOpus license granted.

Quote:

[...]

§3 You are free to copy AmiKit as long as the original archive is kept intact. Commercial use or its inclusion in other software package is prohibited without prior consent from the author.

§4 While AmiKit itself is a non-commercial package, ALL of its components keep their appropriate legal status! You have to respect it.

§5 It is forbidden to distribute AmiKit packages at any site or other media without prior consent from the author of AmiKit.

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DOWNLOAD AND/OR USE AMIKIT!

[ Edited by boot_wb 23.01.2012 - 19:39 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »23.01.12 - 19:29
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    I'd donate for sure!! Magellan is the best desktop EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »24.01.12 - 03:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    I find Ambient to be quite handy and comfortable. On the classic line I preferred DiskMaster over the, for my taste and tasks, too complex DOpus. And I gotta admit, I've even used DM under MorphOS a couple of times. (Kind of a matter what one is used to, I guess.)

So, no - not my cup of tea.
  • »24.01.12 - 08:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Good news. Greg (owner of DOpus) accepts A$5000 as minimum and opensource it. 99% of Code is C. Calling it "Directory Opus Magellan" on 68k but not on other platforms without prior permission.
  • »24.01.12 - 09:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well, just imagine what you could achive if we collect 5000$ to enhance Ambient....
  • »24.01.12 - 11:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    the difference is that Magellan is interesting for all camps whereas Ambient is only MorphOS
  • »24.01.12 - 11:08
    hooligan
    @Megander

Wonder if CLI-Mate works under MOS 8-)

Hands up oldskoolers who still remembers this fabulous filemanager _o/

climate.jpg
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »24.01.12 - 11:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Miky060

I honestly don't understand what you are talking about in your long post? You are describing a way of copying/moving files from one window/lister (call it what you want) into another, that Ambient *already* supports! You open one window, you open another, you select the files, then you either use the context menu or the ctrl+c/ctrl+x to choose copy/cut mode, then you paste it (with context menu or ctrl+v) wherever you want it, and then the copy/move process begins. Or you simply drag and drop between the windows. What could be easier?

And please note, I don't consider this a "killer feature" of any kind, this is plainly how any user of any computer desktop would *expect* things to behave in 2011, it's cross platform and very easy to understand and use.

Surely there must some other features than this to make it worthwhile? Some "killer feature", yes?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.01.12 - 11:32
    Miky060
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

@Miky060

I honestly don't understand what you are talking about in your long post? You are describing a way of copying/moving files from one window/lister (call it what you want) into another, that Ambient *already* supports! You open one window, you open another, you select the files, then you either use the context menu or the ctrl+c/ctrl+x to choose copy/cut mode, then you paste it (with context menu or ctrl+v) wherever you want it, and then the copy/move process begins. Or you simply drag and drop between the windows. What could be easier?

I know how Ambient works and I know that's the way almost every desktop works, but you did not understand how you can do the same under Opus. Probably if you refer to Opus 4 you better understand.
    let's suppose we have 2 listers opened, one is marked as source and the other as Destination. On Opus magellan the last clicked lister is marked as source, you can change source/destination with just a click on the window. If you select files from the source you can copy/move them on the destination lister just clicking only one button in the toolbar. On Ambient the process is slower, you have to click the button on the toolbar that copy them in the clipboard first, than go with the mouse to the destination lister/window and click there the paste button. I can survive using it in this way, but when you have to do a lot of files managing opus way to work is much faster and powerful.
    I ask if this can be implemented in Ambient (as option to be activated by the user) because I think it would be not big work in coding to have it.
    Another feature that I miss from opus is the ftp handling, but this could be obtained just with some software that "mounts" the FTP site as a device, so that you can operate on it using normal Ambient tools. FTP tools are old stuff.

[ Edited by Miky060 24.01.2012 - 12:58 ]

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »24.01.12 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website