USB Floppy drive and MorphOS
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Probably this is something that is talked about in the past .. I don't know. But here we go again as they say :-)

I have USB floppy drive, when I connect this to my Powermac with MorphOS it's recognized as a "mass storage device" and yes when I insert a Floppy formatted as "fat" it shows up without problem.

So I wonder why can't it read/write Amiga disks ? Yes I know, pcdrives don't do Amigaformatted discs. I tested it anyway and I got an error in MorphOS that tells me the bootblock isn't FAT . As I say I didn't expect it to work.

But now I wonder, can it be made to work somehow ? Put an Amiga floppy drive in there or as such ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »01.01.12 - 19:34
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    @Oepabakkes

"So I wonder why can't it read/write Amiga disks ? Yes I know, pcdrives don't do Amigaformatted discs."

There you have your answer.

"As I say I didn't expect it to work."
    ??

"But now I wonder, can it be made to work somehow ? Put an Amiga floppy drive in there or as such ?

Not with those USB floppy drives. However, the Kyroflux should be your solution.

http://www.kryoflux.com/
  • »01.01.12 - 19:55
    Simon
    Still I just wish I could read/write a floppy like the original Amiga could on a next generation Amiga. That and a UAE version that would make use of it.

Yes I know, ... we don't have the resources anymore compared to 20 years ago
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »01.01.12 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    Even if there were the resources like 20 years ago, I wouldn't call it useful in any case. Floppies are a relict from the past. If you want to exchange data with your Amiga, there are plenty other possibilites.

[ Edited by analogkid 02.01.2012 - 04:12 ]
  • »02.01.12 - 05:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

If you want to exchange data with your Amiga, there are plenty other possibilites.

...Including (but not restricted to) using fat-formatted floppy disks. Yes, that's not very practical (as it involves "using floppy disks"), but sounds like you already have the necessary equipment for that!
  • »02.01.12 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    Jupp3:

IIRC these USB floppy drives aren't able to handle DD floppies, so it could be difficult, if you haven't got a HD floppy in your Amiga.
  • »02.01.12 - 09:05