Should I use a SSD with MOS?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Just learning about SSD's and I'm not sure if I should use one for MOS.

Would you recommend using one for MOS or not?

Thanks for the feedback.
  • »18.12.11 - 14:05
    stephen_robinson
    Never tried it, but I use one on my Amiga 1200 for workbench 3.1 and that's excellent, I've fitted my Powerbook with a 64gb SSD in preperation and MacOS X boots about twice as fast, and the whole thing is silent, I'm just waiting, well you know.. 3.0 to be released.

SSD should work very well as there's no cache of files, or virtual memory with MorphOS.

Oh, actually, my Efika has one as well, works great, so yep, recommended from me!
  • »18.12.11 - 15:22
    Kronos
    Had a 32GB one in my MacMini, worked like a charm (and still does now in the Efika).
    My QuickSilver has a MomentusXT combining high capacity (500GB) with SSD-speed (there is also a small IDE-CF-card as boot-device).
  • »18.12.11 - 15:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    If you want 0dB noise level then a SSD is for you. I don't have it myself - it's just a bit expensive. Stock HDDs in PowerBooks are quite noisy and not really fast (no surprise, they are old), so they are worth to be replaced anyway. Small benchmark, copying 200MB file to RAM.

PowerBook5,8; Samsung HM160HC; 50MB/s, really silent.
    PowerBook5,6; Fujtisu MHT2080AH (stock for this model); 30MB/s really noisy.
    PowerMac10,1 (Mac mini); Toshiba MK8026GA (stock for PowerBook5,8); 30MB/s, noisy.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »18.12.11 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    yes, using a SSD is worth it. I use a 64gb SSD in my macmini and booting morphos takes only 2/3 secs. OWB opens instantly. The only downside is that you won't be able to anable TRIM in morphOS if yor SSD supports it. Without TRIM you may experience slowdowns of your SSD in time. But i don't think it would be much noticeable.
  • »19.12.11 - 08:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    While SSD indeed makes loading/saving faster, I personally don't consider regular HDD loading/saving times to be much of a problem on MorphOS (not like other OS's). Most things you do is kind of instant anyway, even without a SSD. But it does remove the noise coming from the HDD, so if that's important to you, then why not?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.12.11 - 09:06
    matt3
    Thanks for all the great feedback.

Since we don't have TRIM, if we do a reformat and restore a backup will that accomplish the same thing?

Does anyone recommend a particular brand of SSD? I will be ordering a small one to keep the price down. Was thinking of a OWC Mercury Legacy since they provided a HD replacement video for the G4 and seemed to have intel on the G4.

(Good thing they provide a video, GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY it is a ridiculous process. Why didn't they do what most sane manufactures do and use one screw to pull from side and replace in under 3 minutes... :-/)

[ Edited by matt3 19.12.2011 - 05:53 ]
  • »19.12.11 - 11:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    matt3,
    Quote:

Since we don't have TRIM, if we do a reformat and restore a backup will that accomplish the same thing?

No, doing format won't TRIM the drive.

You could however boot into linux and trim from there. The data will be wiped in this operation, however.

[ Edited by Piru 19.12.2011 - 15:57 ]
  • »19.12.11 - 14:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    @SoundSquare

>booting morphos takes only 2/3 secs.
    Do you mean 0.67 secs or 2 to 3 seconds? Is this time from power on until morphos desktop ready to use? From firmware to desktop? Sounds impossible but please explain.

>OWB opens instantly.
    On system startup I have my OWB directory copied to ram: and when I start OWB it still take 0.5 sec on my 1.83Ghz mini, and ram disk is pretty fast. What speed do you have if you copy a big file from SSD to RAM and do the same from RAM to RAM? When I copy a file from ram to ram, Ambient shows 86mb/s + write this 86mb/s also.

I have thinking about getting on of those SSD's for a long time.

[ Edited by dake 19.12.2011 - 21:29 ]
  • »19.12.11 - 21:22