A suggestion for a SBar application..
    Miky060
    I would suggest to some willing developer an idea for a little SBar application to promote windows to new screens.
    You normally can move any MUI App to a new MUI screen, but you have to go in MUI prefs (or use the window gadget and go in the popupmenu) and choose an already configured screen. It would nice to have a little "Monitor icon" in the screen bar that if clicked transforms the mouse pointer to show its awayting for the user to choose an app and when the user click on an application window the tool
    should create "on the fly" a new MUI screen cloned from Ambient and move there the selected Application.
    What do you think about this idea? It would make using of screens faster and more transparent also for not already defined applications.
    I hope you have understood what I tried to explain with my bad english..

[ Edited by Miky060 01.12.2011 - 00:01 ]

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »30.11.11 - 23:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    I don´t get the point.

You can move any mui application to any other screen (open or not) using two mouse clicks and you can even save this screen for each application, so next time it will reopen/use that screen automatically.

All you need to do once is that you enter system screen preferences, clone the ambient screen and give it a proper new name. This is required only once.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 01.12.2011 - 11:40 ]
  • »01.12.11 - 11:38
    Miky060
    I already know this!
    But you have to previously define a screen in MUI/screen preferences. Than go in the application mui prefs or use the window gadget and select the popupmenu voice to move the app window the the new defined screen.. It's just more than a couple of clicks. But this is still ok for apps you want to use in own their screen also in future.

What I mean is for apps that you want to move "on the fly" on another screen just for this occasion, maybe because your desktop is already full of windows in this moment. Just imagine to can do this on the fly just pressing an icon on the screenbar! I hope you can see the point now. Personally I would find it very useful.

[ Edited by Miky060 01.12.2011 - 14:07 ]

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »01.12.11 - 14:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Actually, I don´t.

What is the difference with define e.g. 10 Screens named Application1, ... Application 10 once!

I doubt you will ever need 10 screens.

Since all screens are now in database forever, from there it is just two clicks to move the application to any screen and you even can select on which one, while the "single click" idea would just open a new screen each time you use the sbar.

And your solution requires also two clicks. Selecting SBar and the application window to move.

Using an sbar is also less intuitive than using the window button or window popup, as all window position related options depth, size and zip are located there as well as an "select a window on this screen option", using the right mouse button over the depth gadget.

The sbar has nothing to do with windows and their positioning, so it is less intuitive.

Geit
  • »01.12.11 - 14:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    Best sbar-application is alarm clock+*correct* (hello, April! hallo, DateTime sbar ;)) calendar!
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »01.12.11 - 16:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'll see the point, but it probably would better be as a new MUI function. Quickly thought it might be good to have new item in MUI popup button... like "Jump to Screen -> New" which would open new screen named after program or window title. It wouldn't be saved on database unles you select to save it. Sbar or some other way could be a hacky workaround if there isn't interest to add if officially :)

Predefining lots of screens does require work for example when you use your system on different (resolution) monitors... just cloning Ambient for new screens would be handy then.
  • »01.12.11 - 16:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Another idea :

Drag the window to a screen border until the mouse pointer can't go further, hit the border once more (like a double clic), then switch the window to the next screen.

A commodity could do this without much trouble i guess.
    ++
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »01.12.11 - 20:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    I think jPV's suggestion is very useful and handy (and not that much work for the team), although it isn't too much hassle to create some spare screens in MUI's display database.

Personally, I'm considering an SBar like Miky060 is suggesting not that useful. Tokais Elephant.sbar could be used for creating MUI screens, if there aren't any in spare and the way to the MUI settings is too long...
  • »01.12.11 - 20:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    jpv, that is really i good idea.
    I would like to see that feature, sounds usefull.
  • »01.12.11 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    jPV,
    Quote:

I'll see the point, but it probably would better be as a new MUI function. Quickly thought it might be good to have new item in MUI popup button... like "Jump to Screen -> New" which would open new screen named after program or window title. It wouldn't be saved on database unles you select to save it.

You perfectly got the point and the way you would implement it is very clean.

jPVSbar or some other way could be a hacky workaround if there isn't interest to add if officially :)

Yes, indeed I think your way to implement this function can be the "official" one. I would like to have an EXTERNAL commodities, or screenbar app too that call that function. I am not asking to insert it officially in the OS..

• »01.12.11 - 22:24
    Profile Visit Website
    • jPV
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      jPV
      New screen option would also be good for newbies without Amiga background (it seems we have them too!). They may have difficulties to understand the whole screen concept and have no idea they should go create screens separately beforehand. Actually that has been a bit vague with MUI always, even some Amiga users didn't get that they can use all MUI programs on own/any screens :) Probably some people use for example OWB now fullscreen on Ambient screen instead of having own screen...
    • »02.12.11 - 16:18
      Profile Visit Website