Yokemate of Keyboards
Posts: 2793 from 2006/3/21
From: Northern Calif...
The ATI Fire GL X3 256mb VRAM AGP video card that I bought on eBay just arrived today.
I am hoping that the re-flashing process to allow it to work in my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac will be successful, as it will be a big improvement over my current ATI Radeon 9650 w/256mb of VRAM. The benchmarks that I have found for the 9650 have shown that it performs slower than earlier 9600XT video cards for PowerMac's.
Let me know if you make any progress in obtaining the same bios file that the guy is using that sells these Fire GL X3 video cards converted for use in Mac's on eBay. I would like to know what you have tried yourself and what happened when you tried, so I can avoid any mistakes, or pitfalls that you have already found do not work.
I would like to try to re-flash my card first, then if that is unsuccessful, I might send it to the guy that is doing the conversions and selling the cards on eBay to see if my card is one of the lucky versions that can be converted.
For anyone else interested in using this card in a G4, or G5 PowerMac running MacOSX, or Linux (with the possibility that Jim can successfully get two converted cards into the MorphOS Developers hands and that after they have them, the MorphOS Developers can some day write a MorphOS driver for this card), be aware that not all Windows ATI Fire GL X3 video cards can be converted for use in a Mac and the guy that is selling already converted and tested cards on eBay has told me that only about 15% of the OEM Fire GL X3 video cards convert for use in a Mac. The rest, 85% of OEM versions of the Fire GL X3 will NOT convert to Mac use and many of the cards he converts melt down during the one week of severe testing that he puts them through, before he puts them up for sale on eBay.
He only recommends buying original ATI cards, not the OEM versions and states that even many of the original ATI cards will not convert to Mac use successfully. Some cards can be flashed back for use in a Windows PC and sold again, until you find one that can be converted for Mac use, but his prices are high because of the high failure rate he finds when trying to convert these cards for use in a Mac. He appears to be fairly knowledgeable about converting all kinds of PC video cards for use in Mac computers.
I hope that Jim and this eBay reseller can get a couple cards converted and sent to the MorphOS Developers soon and that it won't be too long (6 to 18 months) before someone can write a MorphOS driver for them, because these cards can be used in G4 PowerMac's that are already supported by MorphOS2.7, not just G5 PowerMac's that might never be supported by any version of MorphOS.
I want to use it as an improvement in my G5 for MacOSX and Linux use. I got mine for $29.99 plus shipping, but did not remember to check if it was an OEM, or original ATI card until after I had bought it, so now I have to just hope that it is one of the 15% that can be converted for Mac use, or I will have to just sell it back to someone else on eBay and look for one of the cards that has a higher chance of converting to Mac use at a decent price, or bite the bullet and buy one of the already converted cards that has passed the stress testing, from the guy Jim and I have contacted who has experience converting them (and other models of video cards) to Mac use.[ Edited by amigadave 17.02.2012 - 10:19 ]
MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.