Tips on buying a PowerBook
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I've prepared a short document with useful infos about buying a 2nd hand PowerBook. The article contains a checklist of things you should check before and after buying. Read it at http://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/powerbooks.html
  • »26.09.11 - 23:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Nice guide, thanks!

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »27.09.11 - 00:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Thanks

I already bought mine, not received yet. In the about that Mac the seller told me that it was a 1.67GHZ so I hope he really did it...
    The battery is low, any info as to where buy a good one is welcomed (new one).
    Same for memory as this PB do "only" have 1GB.

Kamel
    PS I've my fingers crossed.
    PSS if you need a beta-tester don't hesitate...
  • »27.09.11 - 21:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Now also available in Polish thanks to krashan.
  • »27.09.11 - 21:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well... I'd get an Apple battery for sure. You might want to check if it really is new and not some old production. Another option is to replace battery cells in the original battery - this will ensure the batteries are brand new and will also be cheaper.
  • »27.09.11 - 21:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    I didn't knew it was possible to just replace the cells, so my next question is where to buy these and is it hard to do ? Any tuto welcome.

Thanks
    Kamel
  • »27.09.11 - 21:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Don't forget about stress testing. I had a weird issue which i didn't notice at first - backlit keyboard at 100% and CPU fan kicking in combo was resulting in instacrash.

[ Edited by Korni 28.09.2011 - 00:01 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »27.09.11 - 22:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You cannot change the battery cells yourself. You have to find a company that specializes in this and has appropriate equipment.
  • »27.09.11 - 23:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

You cannot change the battery cells yourself. You have to find a company that specializes in this and has appropriate equipment.

Actually, I have done this once myself on my PowerBook.

Although it was on an old model. Really old one. I mean "030 old" :-D

Just old cells out, new in, and that was it. I used cells from some really old mobile phone batteries, as they just happened to be right size.

This will definitely be much more complex on newer hardware, and even back then it was obvious, that Apple had designed it with "non user-fixable" in mind. Just glued together without any screws.
  • »28.09.11 - 08:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Also available in German thanks to Frank Mariak.
  • »28.09.11 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    One more hint on checking if the PowerBook is rev-C or rev-D. All models with ADB keyboard (rev-C and earlier) can be instantly rebooted with [L-Apple] [L-Ctrl] [PowerButton] key combo. Such combo does not work for models with USB keyboards (rev-D and rev-E).
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »28.09.11 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    Why are apple batteries recommended?

I thought during this period they bulged a fair amount and distorted the powerbook casing.
    I remember looking through apple uk forums for a battery but was put off by the price and bulging issue.

Or is that just down to the powerbook itself rather than the battery?

thanks
    Martin
    Running MorphOS v3.18 on Mac mini 1.5GHz 64meg VRAM,1gig ram.
    Palm T3 pda along with pixel 4a GrapheneOS smartphone. Updated August 2023
  • »29.09.11 - 23:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I have bad experiences with 3rd party replacements. They also don't look like originals so they kind of stick out. Sometimes they don't fit perfectly either. The original electronics is surely better.

Like I said, the best option imho is to replace cells in the original battery.
  • »30.09.11 - 12:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I have bad experiences with 3rd party replacements. They also don't look like originals so they kind of stick out.

I have been thinking of ways how to make my PowerBook stick out from "normal" PowerBooks used with MacOS X. This isn't much, but would be a start :-P
  • »30.09.11 - 16:25
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Hi,
    I just received my powerbook.
    Its indeed a 15" 5.8 model 1GB of RAM DDR2
    The bad thing is it has been dropped, The upper right corner is damaged (near the DVI port)
    I can't fully close it. I can see that the mechanism that should hold the PB closed (the large button) is inside the PB. It means that I'll have to open it :( I don't know if it will be very helpful since there's no hook attached to the screen to hold the screen in closed position.
    I started it and it seems to work well. I know that the HD has been changed.

More later.
    Kamel
    PS I hope it'll survive long enough to use Morphos 3 for at least 2/3 years.
    PSS I payed 150euros for it.

[ Edité par kamelito 30.09.2011 - 20:28 ]
  • »30.09.11 - 19:27
    Kronos
    The "hook" is magnetic (and button is a magnet) so once you allmost closed the PB the hook will spring out of the lid...

Just watch carefully it's easy to be misssed. On 17" there are even 2 of these hooks.

[ Edited by Kronos 30.09.2011 - 20:59 ]
  • »30.09.11 - 19:59
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    Thanks Kronos

In fact I just push the button to open the PW when closed from the hole above it and the button just suddenly was in place and you know what the PB now can be closed and opened perfectly.

You know what I'm happy :)
    I've noticed some kind of dirt traces into the screen, I don't think its dead pixels more like dirt. (kind of grey)

Any hints?

Kamel waiting for Morphos 3 :)

[ Edité par kamelito 30.09.2011 - 21:30 ]

[ Edité par kamelito 30.09.2011 - 21:45 ]
  • »30.09.11 - 20:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    The one thing about user PowerBooks I don't get. Loads of them seems to be cracked, bended, failure. What the hell are ppl doing with these computers? I've seen so much used laptos in great conditions but only in PowerBook's case there is so many failures..
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »30.09.11 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    About gray dirt one guy in a forum said that they disappear when he took a flight. Maybe the pressure did something...

could it be cleaned (the screen) from the inside?

Kamel
  • »30.09.11 - 21:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    XDelusion
    Thank you for this.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »30.09.11 - 23:07
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    kamelito,
    Quote:

You payd it a real good price, good bargain!

My 5,8 is on its way to my home too ;-)

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »01.10.11 - 00:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    @Miky

In fact I was digging for such bargain. If the seller know what its PB is worth then you'll pay in France between 300 to 400 euros.
    So I start looking for PB with missing info, just looking for G4 and 1440 for example. IF you go to Mac centric sites then it'll cost more, so I was looking at general sites that do have also computers.
    But then again I suppose I was a bit lucky on that one.
    On the other end if you buy it on a Mac site then the PB are in better conditions.
    If the PB do have low RAM, old battery etc then if you plan to buy them separatly it'll cost maybe more than one which is already high end.

Kamel
  • »01.10.11 - 13:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    pampers,
    Quote:

The one thing about user PowerBooks I don't get. Loads of them seems to be cracked, bended, failure. What the hell are ppl doing with these computers? I've seen so much used laptos in great conditions but only in PowerBook's case there is so many failures..

My guess is, if user has paid a premium price for Apple computer, they are more likely to keep on using it, even if slightly broken, than they would use generic cheap X86 system.

On the other hand, I have heard some people having broken several X86 systems, but in many cases they are just taken to recycling center after the replacement has been bought.
  • »01.10.11 - 13:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    :bloons: A1138 soon to be in Boston 102 Euros :bloons:
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »02.10.11 - 04:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    this might also be useful (found with google), has some tips for identifying various models (no mentions of MorphOS obviously)
  • »03.10.11 - 11:47
    Profile Visit Website