IFF Animations - creation, conversion, playing...
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi all,

I need to create several IFF Animations from a bunch of images (e. g. img001, img002, img003, etc), either ANIM5 or ANIM7 and I would like to do this on MorphOS 2.x.

I had a look to find a tool but didn't find something really suitable. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any MorphOS tool which is able to do this? Can anyone help me here?

Also, even though the anim.datatype is installed an example anim. file does not play on Ambient, double clicking does open the MPlayer but nothing gets played. Has anyone set up the mime for x-anim? and perhaps could transmit the command line for this?

Thanks in advance for help!

Best regards

Christoph

[ Edited by rms 09.06.2011 - 11:58 ]
  • »09.06.11 - 09:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > double clicking does open the MPlayer but nothing gets played.

I don't think the current MorphOS MPlayer supports IFF-ANIM yet.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html
    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2011-April/110865.html

I remember having successfully tried http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=video/play/iffanimplay.lha running via OS4Emu.
  • »09.06.11 - 11:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    ImageFX4.x is a great tool for assembling and processing iff anims. You can use AutoFX, IMP, Arexx or the multi-frame modes to edit individual frames and assemble them into anims. Mainactor 2.x was another tool I used to use for that but I am not 100% sure if it's working on MorphOS since I have not used it in awhile. I don't know of any playback software that handles all anim formats well though.
  • »09.06.11 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Another great tool is Wildfire Wildfire It does a bit more than just converting picture into anims, once you're into it, it is a nice little animeditor. Since it is Mui based, it even benefits from MorphOS Mui enhancements.
    I made a small Workshop some time ago, maybe it helps to get the idea.
    Wildfire still works with MorphOS 2.x, yet I don't know if the ppc native moduls still crash (they did when using MorphOS 1.4.5)
  • »09.06.11 - 20:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _bigdan_
    Christoph : and what type of audio track with yours anim5/anim7 ? Why use IFF anim instead of Divx (AVI) or Theora (OGG) ?

To build iff anims, i'll vote for ImageFX too (or the old ClariSSA if it works on MorphOS 2.X). Check especially the size of your pictures source !

For RTG animplayer, i would be interested too : hum, i guess there's not lot of choice on MorphOS : SCALA would be fine but it's classic only !

Check Hollywood, it seems it support various anims ! And with malibu plugin, it plays old SCALA stuff !

[ Edited by _bigdan_ 09.06.2011 - 22:11 ]
  • »09.06.11 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I think Hollywood can handle iff-anims quite well (replay, create).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.06.11 - 00:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    i suggest mainactor (broadcast)
  • »10.06.11 - 07:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    Hi all,

thanks for your feed-back! In fact (I think that) I would need this format for a Hollywood presentation which supports either GIF or IFF ANIM's, unfortunately nothing else for now :-( The GIF's are only up to 256 colors, so the only choice left are IFF Anim's.

They are small anims, something like 250x160 pixels and are used to for animated menu buttons, or animated objects in the presentation.

Then the idea behind playing these anim's was rather to just quickly control them after creation, so it would have been enough/better/faster to be able play them on Ambient with double click, that's why I tried to make the datatype work, which I couldn't. Otherwise I need to import them into a Hollywood project and play them from there...

I don't know at all mainactor, never used it... hmm...

It's a pity we have an Amiga Anim Format but no more modern software which can create it... :-(

I'll see what can be done.

Thnaks again.
  • »10.06.11 - 15:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    pecanK
    hi rms,
    i am also a Hollywood (4.7 currently) coder and your problems interests me .. maybe this can be solved witho Hollywood only without need of any other prog... but i need some info : how many frames do your anims have ? are they 24bit? do you work with hollyeood or hollywood designer ? pecaN
    pecaN of the Czech PowerPC User Group
  • »11.06.11 - 12:06
  • rms
    rms
    @ pecaN

well in the main anim there are 224 frames in 24 bit, 1280x720. I have the anim frame by frame in png. Now I could do an avi or some other video and play via Mplayer but I would like to integrate the anim in my presentation so that I do not need to relay on external software which could not be present on other systems! I do all the layout work with Designer.

BTW I own Wildfire 7.16 (which I bought back when I used the Draco) but didn't have time to test it under MorphOS 2.x, hopefully it will work!

Other: no idea how to get the anim datatype to work under MorphOS? Or any hint about a commandline?

Regards
    Christoph
  • »14.06.11 - 04:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    pecanK
    @rms

Well, 1280x720 animation is QUITE a huge thing !! It will be very large and... how many frames do you expect it to run eg. on G3? Neverthless, you have several options : try that wildfire i hope it works for you as it is ppc app afaik... ? Or you can create avi with hollywood and try to convert it to IFF anim. But for short anims (animated buttons as you wrote) that have eg. 10 frames you can use a little trick : load all frames as sprites or brushes and then display them quickly one by one and it will look like an animation...

and about that anim.datatype i will try to make some tries... pecaN

[ Edited by pecanK 15.06.2011 - 22:23 ]
  • »15.06.11 - 20:22
  • rms
    rms
    @ pecaN

the 1280 x 720 anim is the "entry" anim of my presentation! The buttons have 12 frames each, are about 250 x 150, and what I did is, I created an image in TV Paint with 3000 x 150 and copied from the left 1st frame side-by-side the images of the anim. This permits to import as "Anim image" in Designer and play the anim. But such is not possible with 1280 x 720 and 225 frames, so some other solution is needed. This anim needs to run on an MacMini G4 1.5 GHz.

Surprisingly we do have an supported anim format, the iff anim, but seem not to have any more modern tools to create them and because of software license problems can't have other formats...

Regards

Christoph
  • »16.06.11 - 04:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    pecanK
    well,well, it really doesn´t work... anim.datatype under mos2.5 and even multiview can´t play it... ??? that's strange ... but try this:

http://aminet.net/package/gfx/show/AnimInWindow

this works for me well under mos2.x - but i only played 8bit small anims but maybe your 24bit large anim will work as well...

unfortunately i still haven't found any anim builder for morphos!!! :-( it is really a pity - anim spec is available but no one has written an anim builder...
  • »21.06.11 - 14:05