Phreeboard and the latest MorphOS version
    Kronos
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeek

The return of the bucketmaster !!

I assume you are talking about an April-less Peg1 ?

Sure those are still supported (just be aware of the HW-bugs).

Bout really using them ....... hmmm lets just say the cheapest Mac-G4 from eBay will wipe the floor with the Peg1 even if only clocked at 400MHz (just make sure you've got a compatible Radeon).

So the question is, what do you want ?
    Just take a quick look at the state of affairs ? The Peg1 will do just fine if you allready have it.

Make real use of MorphoOS, maybe even bzúying a 2.x-key ? Better invest in better HW (even if just that 400MHz G4).

[ Edited by Kronos 24.04.2011 - 09:26 ]
  • »24.04.11 - 07:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I assume you are talking about an April-less Peg1 ?

Generally speaking, a "Phreeboard" can also be an April-1 or April-2 Peg1, depending on when he got it.
  • »24.04.11 - 08:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Hi Coder! :-)

Just a "tip of the day" if you want to try MorphOS in a quick and easy way, you can consider installing "Pack Ultimate" right after you install the OS. It's a very quick and easy way of getting a pre-configured system up and running, with lots of applications installed, system settings configured, etc! Perfect if you want to really see the strengths of the system in a quick and easy way, without spending an eternity of setting things up yourself (which you will hardly do when using a demo). :-)

Here is a cut'n paste from the "readme":

Quote:

Hello,

I am Papiosaur, webmaster of website www.meta-morphos.org

I present you Ultimate pack v1.6.4 for MorphOS 2.7.

This pack aims to promote applications dedicated to MorphOS.

You must install it just after a new installation of MorphOS 2.7 (registered or not)

This pack is not official and always in version beta.

Here is a list of preistalled software :

- WEB:
    AmiRSS
    OtrMUI
    WallGet
    WBRSS

-Communicate:
    AmiGG
    AmIRC
    Jabberwocky
    PolyGlot
    SabreMSN
    SimpleMail

-Audio:
    AudioEvolution demo
    AminetRadio
    CodeAudio
    DigiRoller
    ExciterPlayer
    SongPlayer
    UADE

-CD-DVD:
    CD Tools
    FreeDB
    FryingPan demo version
    Ripper

-Development:
    Scout
    FileX
    SimpleCat

-Desktop:
    April
    ClockToy
    CLONCK
    CRABUM
    Dragon
    Elephant
    Meridian
    MisterBanana
    PolyNET NG
    Wetter
    ZoomIt

-Files:
    AMUIDiff
    MultiRen
    R
    Rival
    SimpleFind
    Voodoo-X

-Hardware:
    PCITool
    TopCPU

-Log:
    SnoopDos

-Monitor:
    GammaMeter

-Network:
    AmiTradeCenter
    dNETc
    GiftMUI
    MLDonkey
    RC-FTPd
    RDesktop
    SmartSMBFS
    TwinVNC
    VNC Server

- Office:
    AntiWord
    GhostScript
    MUIBase
    ODG-Viewer
    PointRider
    SCANdal
    XML-Viewer

-Orga:
    CManager
    PolyOrga
    SAB

-Paint:
    TVPaint

-Picture
    Gallerius
    PicShow
    PtpDigCam
    WAManager

-Text:
    NowinED
    VisualGuide

-Video:
    BlueHD
    FlashPlayer
    MPlayer
    RadioScript
    ScreenRecorder
    Titler
    Tubexx

- Commodities
    Altabber
    KidLock
    Lucy
    PointIt
    Scube
    sZoom
    Unmask

You can lauch Amiga software and games with contextual menu (dms, adf, executable) copying the contents of disk Workbench 3.1 to
    sys:Applications/Emulators/UAE/HardDiskS/Workbench/ (Attention, do not replace startup-sequence file).
    You must also copy ROM 1.3 image file for Amiga 500 (named kick13.rom) and ROM 3.1 image file for Amiga 1200 (named kick.rom) to
    sys:Applications/Emulators/UAE/Roms/

IceFoldersPack and PlexiFoldersPack, Wallpapers and also mimetypes have been realised by Patbest.
    You can download others Icons, Wallpapers and mimetypes on his website : http://amigaos0morphos.olympe-network.com.

A big thanks to the developpers of software available in this pack and of course to the MorphOS Team for MorphOS ;-)

Don't hesitate to support them.

If somebody want to contribute to the evolution of the pack Ultimate, the is no problems ;-)

You can send me suggestions and remarks to my address mail : (removed by me)

Thanks

Papiosaur

You'll find a download link in this news item:

https://morph.zone/news/1845.html

Also, don't forget to download the very latest version of the OWB web browser for it (and read the documentation):

https://morph.zone/news/1849.html

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.04.11 - 06:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Kronos

Always lurking around and about time I get some MorphOS feeling back. :-)

I am in Thailand now and I am thinking about bringing the Phreeboard back to Holland.

@Kronos / Andreas_Wolf

Can you see from the picture below what type of board it is? I remember a pre board.

http://twitpic.com/4p9t2x

Cheers,
    Coder
  • »25.04.11 - 07:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    Hi takemehomegrandma,

Great stuff. I will try this. I knew OWB was more advanced / up to date compared to the OS4 version. Or am I wrong?

Coder
  • »25.04.11 - 07:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    Coder
    Quote:

Can you see from the picture below what type of board it is? I remember a pre board.

http://twitpic.com/4p9t2x

that is an april-less PegasosI
  • »25.04.11 - 07:57
    Kronos
    Yep, orginal Peg1 without any April-fix.

You say you have it in Thailand and want to take back home which does raise the question is this a "complete" system ? As in board, CPU, RAM and GFX ?

For the price you'd pay hunting down just RAM and a GFX-card you might aswell get that 400MHz Apple ......
  • »25.04.11 - 08:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Great stuff. I will try this. I knew OWB was more advanced / up to date compared to the OS4 version. Or am I wrong?

The difference is *huge*. You can't even compare the two, since it's not really the same browser at this point (don't let the name confuse you).

And I agree with the others; even if MorphOS will run on that board, you would be so much better off with some Mac hardware. But I guess you should try at least! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.04.11 - 08:31
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Depending on the level you want to renew your MorphOS experience, I only can agree with all the other opinions expressed in here. Your Peg1 is ok for an evaluation of MorphOS 2.x, but for regular, extensive usage you should really get a descent fast machine, for what the Powermac G4 or Mac minis are the one with the best cost/performance ratio.
  • »25.04.11 - 09:52
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 06.09.2011 - 06:35 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »25.04.11 - 10:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > for regular, extensive usage you should really get a descent fast machine

A better reason for getting another machine than more speed would be less (or even no) critical hardware bugs.
  • »25.04.11 - 12:27
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 06.09.2011 - 06:30 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »26.04.11 - 10:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > he's not asking to be advised to buy some other computer.

With his pre-April Peg1 it's all about basic evaluation vs. "regular, extensive usage".

> It's like sometimes one asks online for help with an old computer, and
    > there's always a few people who have to say "just buy a new machine
    > with Windows 7" or similar comment.

I'd say there's a difference between just old (and slow) on the one hand and critically bug-ridden on the other hand.

> Did you ever use it?

Yes, he did. It's what he ran MorphOS on when he was active here on MorphZone in 2003/2004.

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article.php?storyid=160

> it is much more interesting to see what diverse old hardware like a Phreeboard
    > can do [...]. In fact I have an April 2 Pegasos board here somewhere

Coder's "Phreeboard" can do exactly the same things your April-2 Peg1 can do, just not as flawlessly as yours ;-)
  • »26.04.11 - 12:13
    analogkid
    Maybe it's offtopic, but I'll like to know how usable a non-fixed Pegasos1 regarding MorphOS is. How much impact does these hardware-bugs have?
  • »26.04.11 - 17:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'll like to know how usable a non-fixed Pegasos1 regarding MorphOS is.
    > How much impact does these hardware-bugs have?

There're some information in that thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5594&forum=11

...which you took part in ;-)

Most notably (by itix):
    "It has a DMA bug which causes data corruption. It is most likely to happen only when writing or reading large files. Chances that you can read or write 10MB+ files without data corruption is very low."

...or by Crumb:
    "The Peg1 will corrupt data when you do DMA I/O operations with your harddrive and your cpu is loaded."

Another thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5901&forum=3

Most notably (by itix):
    "DMA corruption. When saving large files to the disk they may get corrupted and sometimes also filesystem may corrupt due to this. [...] On such machine it is better make sure that you can afford HD crash anytime."

...or by Henes:
    "The bug is inside the northbridge which does not handle correctly concurrent access to the PCI bus. [...] USB, ethernet and anything using DMA are also all affected."

...or by Zylesea:
    "Back then my non-aprilized Peg corrupted the hd every 5 minutes."

Another thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3585&forum=11

By itix:
    "Within pre-april Peg1 and MorphOS you never get UDMA that works for sure. [...] Ethernet trash will happen still but TCP handles those and fixes errors automatically. It can slowdown Internet access to few kilobytes per second, that is all."

...or by minator:
    "A non-April Peg is interesting as a collectors item but isn't viable for serious work, they corrupt data and crash - a lot."

...or by merko:
    "be aware that any data on your HD may become corrupt at any time for no reason. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen and will happen sooner or later. As (unnoticed) corruption of some file can lead to any number of other problems, such as crashing applications or general instability, you will get a system that you can't really rely upon"
  • »26.04.11 - 18:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Kronos

It is just the board and the CPU module. I will get the extra parts in Holland. I can always upgrade to a faster system in the future. I just need a development system for now.

Coder
  • »27.04.11 - 07:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Velcro_SP

I forgot about the time-limit demo. Try before you buy. :-)

I am always lurking around. Just need to free up more time which is what I am doing (one step at a time).

Coder
  • »27.04.11 - 07:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

The MorphOS version I got with the board already impressed me so the latest one should blow me away. Right?

Sure. But what would defenetly knock your socks off is using modern hardware, which might be easier in the end than assembling a flaky non-April Pegasos. Sorry to insist over it, but using such an old hardware nowadays is almost unfair for MorphOS. There's only one even more harder route: Use an Amiga with a PowerUP card!
  • »27.04.11 - 07:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @Velcro_SP

Quote:

Coder, you even posted a nice picture of the Phreeboard board. Did you ever use it? Didn't the terms of the Phreeboard program say you had to develop something with it? I think maybe you *have* to assemble it and program something. Just kidding.

I just had no time at all after I started a new job. Not even for OS4. I am changing that now so I have more time. Just takes some time. Plenty of plans/ideas just the lack of time is a killer for me at the moment.

@everyone

I will report anything I do so that might be something that is interesting for some people. Also I have the A1SE which has some bugs (not running OS4.1) so I am used to something.

Coder
  • »27.04.11 - 07:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @jcmarcos

It would indeed do it justice. But for the moment I would be happy to have something running. If I had the cash to spare I would go out on a shopping trip to get it all. :-)

Coder
  • »27.04.11 - 07:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > using such an old hardware nowadays is almost unfair for MorphOS.

I don't think the age of the pre-April Peg1 is a problem here as it's even newer than all the G4 PowerMacs except the MDD models. The 400 MHz G4 PowerMac that Kronos suggested as a substitute even predates the pre-April Peg1 more than two years. And to my mind it's also not the rather slow speed that's the problem with the pre-April Peg1.

> There's only one even more harder route: Use an Amiga with a PowerUP card!

That wouldn't run the latest MorphOS version which is what Coder says he intends to do. But I know which hardware that runs the latest MorphOS version would be a tough contender for his pre-April Peg1: the Efika 5200B. More reliable and years newer, but even slower ;-)
  • »27.04.11 - 11:08