Does MorphOS on Mini see external USB Drives
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    macsociety
    I was thinking about getting a Lacie external drive that connects to the Mac Mini. They are USB and Firewire ports in then. It was made for the older Mac Minis. Does MorphOS on the Mini see the external USB drives? Do the firewire ports work at all?

tj
  • »14.03.11 - 03:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Yes, I have a Lacie external USB/Firewire hdd connected to my MacMini and as long as you format the hdd with a format compatible for MorphOS, it will see it.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.03.11 - 04:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    USB works. For Firewire you have to install Helios. https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=9&topic_id=6126&sortname=&sortorder=&sortdays=&viewmode=flat&order=0&start=0
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »14.03.11 - 10:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    MorphOS sees (and mounts) the external USB drives fine. I haven't had any problems with that ever on Mac minis or Peg1.

Only problem I've had with one 2.5" HD enclosure which I populated with a separately bought 2.5" drive. I think it's because it doesn't get enough current from USB ports, because on mini it just keeps clicking without starting spin properly. On Peg1 it starts, but drops pretty often. I don't know if it usual with 2.5" drives without PSU or just with the one I have.

But all 3.5" devices with separate PSU have worked fine. I've transferred quite many terabytes with Lacie's 250GB, Buffalo's 1TB and WD's 1TB drives without a single problem. Also dozen of different USB memory drives / card adapters have worked fine.

I've mainly used FAT and SFS filesystems.

[ Edited by jPV on 2011/3/14 18:42 ]
  • »14.03.11 - 16:39
    Profile Visit Website