Image FX 4.5
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Cecilia

I'm confused with your instructions in your last post can you please re-state them? thx

using the IFX4.5 STUDIO CD run the install script normally.

There is actually at least two versions of the Text hook within the CD

The newest one is not installed by the normal install script.

and the newest Text hook has bug fixes so I think most people would want that.

The newest Text Hook is located on the CD here:

ImageFX40_Disk4/Hooks1.lha
    open, extract Text.....
    save it too:
    ImageFX4/hooks/sys/text

some people have problems using the loader or saver for the YUVSPLIT format. the best solution is to simply delete those files.

Modules/Savers/YUVSPLIT
    Modules/Loaders/YUVSPLIT

it's been reported in the past that some people have their IFX crash when booting up IFX. if it's YUVSPLIT, just get rid of it.

if your IFX doesn'r crash when starting up, well, leave it.

[ Edited by cecilia on 2011/3/6 21:14 ]
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »07.03.11 - 01:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    XDelusion
    First off, I do have the 4.5 Studio CD. As you said it was written on the disc and I was looking at the box. So mystery solved.

As for getting this tot run...

...well replaced my prefs file with the one upload here and I ended up getting this message:

Can not open preview module. 'modules/preview/windowedCGX' - using Amiga

When I hit OK, I get taken back to the beautiful black screen I've come to love.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »08.03.11 - 17:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    ...and I suppose you don't have the mentioned module in your modules/preview? Try to copy it manually from the CD (or, in case it's not there try to use this one).
  • »09.03.11 - 05:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    hmm Cecilia

wish I knew about that text hook bug 2 years ago when i was doing a lot of gfx. I would use image fx with show girls (show girls for txt support which is nice)

The CGX mode you are missing is required for next gen amigas as it runs on cybergfx screen hence the cgx which is the render module.

what i'm wondering is somehow my Powerstation PPC modules arent installed was it seperate of image fx 4.5 studio or what?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »10.03.11 - 02:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    If I'm not mistaken there's a folder on the CD :
    PPC/PowerStation_MorphOS/

that should have various modules, icons, stuff that is for MOS.

doesn't anyone fully examine stuff they buy anymore?? :-D

and whatever happened to the AV's?
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »10.03.11 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    As it turns out, there were two install directories once everything was done.

This whole time I was using the wrong ImageFX file to launch the app, which apparently was trying to use the Amiga chipset, thus causing my black screen.

Upon using the correct one. I get an instant system lock up...

...until I deleted all the YUV files as suggested, then I can load the program and move my mouse, but once I click the Left Mouse Button the system again totally locks up.

• »10.03.11 - 17:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Quote:

XDelusion wrote:
    As it turns out, there were two install directories once everything was done.

This whole time I was using the wrong ImageFX file to launch the app, which apparently was trying to use the Amiga chipset, thus causing my black screen.

Upon using the correct one. I get an instant system lock up...

...until I deleted all the YUV files as suggested, then I can load the program and move my mouse, but once I click the Left Mouse Button the system again totally locks up.
    oy, what a mess.

my suggestion is delete both installed files - clean up.....THEN reinstall the program proper way.

BEFORE you try to start the program.........

NOW delete those YUV files.
    Make sure you have the newest png loader/saver files and the newest text hook.

make sure you ONLY have one install. check and recheck. check the s/user-startup file that there is the correct Assign (which should have been written by the installer.) because IFX has been installed more than once you could easily have several incorrect assigns in there. In fact check that Before you start the new install.

Reboot your system.

NOW start up IFX.
  • »10.03.11 - 20:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

cecilia wrote:

If an effort was made by the developers and distributors of IFX Studio 4.5 to make it run on MorphOS & PPC, why wasn't more effort on their part made to get it to install correctly and run without so much trouble?

I know some Amiga users like to "tinker" with their systems and software, but there is a difference between having the ability to adjust and mess around with your system and software, and having it install and run as it should without having to trouble shoot and fix mistakes made by the software developers & distributors. Specially if the mistakes and problems are not well documented in the software distribution with paper, or pdf (amigaguide, or ASCII text) files, provided with the CDROM, or floppy disks.

I know that running IFX4.5 on PPC, or MorphOS was not the primary intended target, but if the developers, or distributors went to the trouble of including the files needed to run on PPC, and/or MorphOS, then they should have spent the little extra time & effort to write a trouble free installer script, or at least documented the steps needed to fix the installation.

Bad installation scripts are a "pet peeve" of mine I guess, and too common in our small niche community.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »10.03.11 - 20:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

cecilia wrote:

If an effort was made by the developers and distributors of IFX Studio 4.5 to make it run on MorphOS & PPC, why wasn't more effort on their part made to get it to install correctly and run without so much trouble?

I know that running IFX4.5 on PPC, or MorphOS was not the primary intended target,
    MOS WAS the intended target as at the time that was THE ONLY new Amiga-like OS around. OS4 had not yet surfaced.

and it DOES install correctly. I tested it myself. As did other beta testers.

It correctly places libs and other system files in the NON-MOS folders (leaving the main system files to operate correctly while allowing IFX to play nicely).
    Of course If the user installs 2 versions of IFX that will invariably confuse the system. And the developer has no control over user error.

Let me remind everyone that I am NOT the developer, I am one of the beta testers and have no monetary gain from this product. I DO, however, know the person who altered the install script and he's no slouch.

The install script installs the basic setup just fine. The user can decide if he or she wishes to install the PPC files.

and the YUV files that sometimes cause problems do so on other systems besides MOS.

I suspect the install script did not install the newest text hook because we beta testers were working on that right up to the last minute. Sorry, but we are only human. Is it really that hard to copy a file?

Let's not forget how small this community is. I'm one of the few people who can even answer these questions. And it's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing. I do the best I can.

I'm am more than happy to help people out as best I can. Honestly.

But I feel the need to set the record straight.
  • »10.03.11 - 23:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the added clarification cecilia.

It would have been nice if the later resellers of IFX4.5 Studio had provided a download link to a revised install script which would use the later (finished?) text hook file, and had provided a written explanation such as you have just provided.

Your help and info is greatly appreciated and I understand that the original developers did the best they could at the time the IFX4.5 Studio CD was mastered.
  • »11.03.11 - 05:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Thanks for the added clarification cecilia.

It would have been nice if the later resellers of IFX4.5 Studio had provided a download link to a revised install script which would use the later (finished?) text hook file, and had provided a written explanation such as you have just provided.

Your help and info is greatly appreciated and I understand that the original developers did the best they could at the time the IFX4.5 Studio CD was mastered.
    Thank you very much.

If I had a magic wand I would have prevented real life and time interfering with people in the Amiga community from just getting Stuff Done Right. Unfortunately, I am not Superman.

Years after the Studio CD was finished and finally OS4 was available a friend had an AmigaOne for me to play around with. I knew people had trouble installing IFX Studio on their A-one's so I set out to see if I could shed light on this.

I realized that a new install script HAD to be re-written and not being a programmer I really wasn't qualified to do it. But I set out to at least identify the areas in the script that were problematic for OS4. I wrote an article which I gave to people who had trouble with their installs. eventually this came into the hands of people who could rewrite the install script and a new install script was place on OS4Depot.

All This took a long time because, frankly, everyone was just doing their work whenever they could. In fact without the very existence of the Internet it probably would never have occurred at all.

I tell this story to indicate how people are still attempting to correct issues long after a product has been out. That seems to be the way we have to to things in Amiga-Land.

And, of course, when possible, I and others answer questions on the IFX user group

I can tell you that IFX4.5 is the most bug free version of IFX available - esp on MOS. It seemed to me that many of the crashes on my original Amiga 2000 using the text hook was mostly lack of memory. Something that just isn't an issue even on the lowliest peg. :-)

or using WinUAE / AmigaForever which I also did most of my beta testing on.

The point of my little story is that the ONLY way we can solve our problems is if we talk to each other. Anyone who knows me knows I have no "preferences". I am not in any "camp". I love all things Amiga-related. I don't play politics. I am a member here and have been for many years. I'm a member on Amiga.org and Amigaworld. I avoid any and all threads related to fighting and the "I'm better than you, neener, neener" childish nonsense.

When I find a topic I think I may be able to help with, I speak up. I suspect that if most people did that we would all be better off and possibly farther ahead. Just a guess, tho. ;-)

but most importantly, I hope the original poster has solved his problem and has a functioning IFX program.
  • »11.03.11 - 12:04
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    Still don't have this working....

I am not on a fresh install of MorphOS, I followed the advise here on this thread, and the results are always exactly the same as when I began!

I am going to try out the new installer using the OS4 emu tonight and see if that makes a difference....

BTW, what all options should I be choosing in the install? Should I install all the extra Hooks and MorphOS specific stuff or should I just do the standard install? I've tried many things, each to no avail. Will post back later after I try the new OS 4 installer tonight.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59456

• »29.11.11 - 04:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hey guys

Well last I knew ifx 4.5 studio str8t installs. The reason Morphos compatiblity was stressed by Nova Design was that Kermit Woodall was working for Genesi at the time! (and so was Cecilia lol - she loved BBRV then :-P)
    Also the Power Station PPC modules work great with morphos super duper fast.

ASL is a problem I remember dealing with that to get ifx working as well as the text hook manual replacement.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »29.11.11 - 05:56
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    No go, this installer worked...

Well at the end it complained about two lobs not being in the OS4emu directory, but other than that it worked, bit alas, I am still getting the same results as if I'd installed this the usual way, replaced the text hook, then deleted the trouble file.

Maybe it's just not eMac friendly?

• »29.11.11 - 18:47
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png
    8.png
    9.png
    10.png

As you can see, after I went through the basic install I replaced TEXT and looked for :

Modules/Savers/YUVSPLIT
    Modules/Loaders/YUVSPLIT

All I found was YUVN so I deleted that instead.

I later installed Power station, again replaced TEXT and again looked for any other files that began with Y and there were none but YUVN again so I'm stumped.

Here is my User_startup before Power Station has been installed, as well as a Snoopium Log.

Note that the Log reports the same errors even after Power Station has been installed.

http://starwarslegacy.net/Documents/LogNStart.zip

[ Edited by XDelusion 01.12.2011 - 00:07 ]

• »01.12.11 - 04:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    oy vey!

I notice on your Snoopium.log there's a number of Failures with libs.
    mathieeedoubtrans.library.elf - does this failure only happen with trying to open IFX or with other programs.

I'm no expert on reading Snoop files so I hope others will chime in with advice

3.png

as your snoop file indicates a retina lib why not add the retina driver in the install??
    unless I am totally missing something here. I mean I guess I am asking why there is an error with "retina.library.elf". Is there are program you have installed that uses this lib?

8.png
    does this mean the Text hook file was copies with a different name??? It should just be called "text"

Quote:

;BEGIN ImageFX4
    Assign "ImageFX4:" "Work:Apps/Graphics/ImageFX4"
    If NOT EXISTS ENV:ImageFX4
    Makedir ENV:ImageFX4
    EndIf
    SetEnv ImageFX4/JPEG_Smoothing ON
    RexxMast >NIL: <NIL:
    ;END ImageFX4
    right now this assign seems ok, although I haven't looked at one in a long time.....I'll have to turn on my peg and check out what mine looks like.

give me a few days.......things are a bit nutty around here.

when you tried your previous IFX installs did you check that no MOS libs or other files had been overwritten accidentally??
    This is one of the reasons there are two separate folders for such files (stating the obvious, I know)

I always look at files in my DOpus to make sure I know what is going on. (I still love that program)

anyway, we will figure this out
  • »19.12.11 - 19:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    I'm looking at my IFX on AmigaForever (to help someone else on a different problem).
    I just looked inside the IFX icon. (tool types)
    that is, I right clicked and opened the icon (information)

I have mine set to
    WINDOWED

NOW, this will make IFX open on whatever screen you happen to have but one reason I like this is that it tends to reduce problems. Anyway, if you have it set to something else, comment it out with brackets () and type in WINDOWED.

see if that works

if not, you can also type in
    DEBUG

and see what results. I haven't done this in a million years but I think the debug file gets saved to ram.
  • »09.01.12 - 23:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Waiting to see how this turns out, as I would love to see how IFX4.5 runs on my MorphOS computers. (Even though I am not knowledgeable in using IFX because I did most of my image manipulation with AdPro2.5 way back when .....)

So many people have praised IFX for several reasons, I want to learn more about it.

Thanks for trying to provide help with this cecilia.
  • »10.01.12 - 02:13
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    micken
    I installed Image FX 4.5 studio without problems. At first I could not run it , but in the end it turned out to be a missing font.
    MorphOS hangaround :)
  • »10.01.12 - 09:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    IFX4.5 should install just fine from the Studio CD

I only have a pre-April machine so I can't test on MOS higher than 1.4 or whatever it is. I am assuming that MOS 2 still has it's folders separated between classical system files (where the IFX needs it's system files) and the new MOS system files.

THE ONLY files from the Studio CD the user has to manually check for is the Newest Text hook and the Newest Png saver/loader. They will have the date dec 2003 but I think I have more specific info somewhere else in this thread.

To repeat: the Studio CD had the install script made Specifically to install on MOS systems. There should be no problems.
  • »10.01.12 - 13:11
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    I'm gonna get back to this, just been busy.

• »10.01.12 - 22:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I only have a pre-April machine so I can't test on MOS higher than 1.4
    > or whatever it is.

Not even with a NIC in a PCI slot? That's assuming the MAC address dependency of MorphOS 2.x is the problem here.
  • »10.01.12 - 23:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Not even with a NIC in a PCI slot? That's assuming the MAC address dependency of MorphOS 2.x is the problem here.

I have no idea. This happens to be one of the first motherboards made for MOS and just may not have everything it needs. I've never been able to have functioning USB ports.
    anyway, I don't want to move away from the thread topic. And I don't have time right now to do anything about it
  • »12.01.12 - 16:35
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    On a Mac Mini now, followed the same steps got the same result, though..,

ImageFX is lOaded, my mouse is locked as usual, but I can hear Mplayer playing in the background...

• »18.07.12 - 04:44
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    Two systems later... same thing.

Tried this first on an eMac. Locked up once program loaded.
    Tried this on Macmini, same thing.
    And now I just went through this entire thread again on my Efika. Again, my system is locked. :/

• »30.05.13 - 01:51
    Profile Visit Website