ARM for the future?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> "No, I said there were *almost* no speculations."

> Yes you did say that.

I'm glad you decided to stop this lie. Thanks for that.

> You also said ""so the alleged "buzz" regarding the prospect
    > of "Denver" being 64-bit just wasn't (and isn't) there".

Yes, that's exactly what I said. And I'm still of this opinion.

> you'd like 11 Goggle links?

If you can give a total of 11 hyperlinks (not "Goggle links") to articles or forum threads discussing the matter then I'll admit being wrong, which is what you asked me to do. So you could assume it's not that I really want you to give me those links but rather that I think you should be eager to give them to me ;-) Seriously, I'll happily admit being wrong when being convinced of being wrong. For me it's more important to know the truth than being right.

> Probably doable.

Yes, I think so. I really tried to be fair by "demanding" only one 100,000th of current Google hits.

> the first would be this thread

Yes, and second would be the link to the forum post I gave you, and third would be the link to the article you gave me. Makes only 8 to go.

> I'd have to agree with allowing you to define the term
    > and state the qualifications that would satisfy your
    > definitions.

Of course, an agreement on the quantification would be necessary to come to a final conclusion. I really tried to be fair in my assessment. If you think that 11 is not an appropriate number of required links to support the claim of something being "the current buzz" about an announcement I'm all ears for your proposal.

> That is a political game

I don't see it that way. It's all about making claims and presenting sufficient supporting evidence. Nothing political about that.

> there is no buzz

Fine. I'm willing to accept your retraction from your "buzz" claim. A pity as you've been mere 8 links off ;-)

> except for what we both know is there

...which in my book is still too little to qualify as "the current buzz" about the "Denver" announcement.

> everyone else is getting such a kick out of using
    > the term buzz

Let them have their kick. Besides, it's not only been about the term "buzz" as such but more about the whole phrasing "the current buzz" (as opposed to just "a current buzz").

> How you feel about hardly influences that.

Exactly. Nothing about feelings here, only about claims and hard evidence (or so far rather lack thereof, unfortunately).
  • »13.01.11 - 23:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Andreas, arguing with you is as tiring as arguing with one of my siblings.
    But you're right. No hard feelings.
    Besides, it more important that we get back to the topic.
    I'm extremely excited about Nvidia picking this up and Microsoft's support can only broaden ARM support.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »13.01.11 - 23:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Er, what exactly are you guys arguing about?

Maybe the answer is in the Nvidia press release:

"This new processor stems from a strategic partnership, also announced today, in which NVIDIA has obtained rights to develop its own high performance CPU cores based on ARM’s future processor architecture."
  • »14.01.11 - 00:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > what exactly are you guys arguing about?

Read up from where that argument started:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7675&forum=3&post_id=80969#80969

> Maybe the answer is in the Nvidia press release

No, it's not. If it was there wouldn't have been any argument in the first place.
  • »14.01.11 - 00:33
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Totally off the point. Andreas and I just have a valid difference of opinion about the number of people who actually have clued into what this announcement may mean.
    Frankly I think he's right that virtually none of the so-called IT professionals in the press have realized what the likely specs of this processor are (or how it represents something new).
    Only a few people in forums and blogs have put two and two together and drawn these conclusions.
    Our only 'argument' (if you can call it that) is on the numbers. And he's probably right, most people appear to be clueless about how significant this could be.
  • »14.01.11 - 00:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Just a though that occurred to me while I was out walking the dog.
    Microsoft intends to support ARM in Windows 8.
    Windows supports virtualization.
    Were MorphOS to be ported to ARM it is not inconceivable that in the future we could run MorphOS and Windows together simultaneously on the same computer.

[ Edited by Jim on 2011/1/14 2:47 ]
  • »14.01.11 - 01:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Microsoft's support can only broaden ARM support.

"The idea that Microsoft is readying a version of Windows 8 for ARM is troubling."
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=606510

;-)
  • »14.01.11 - 03:17
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    What can I say, schizophrenia maybe?
    I'm not sure if I trust Microsoft, but they could increase interest in the market.
    Damned good quote though.
  • »14.01.11 - 03:45
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    scrAb_
    Quote:

"The idea that Microsoft is readying a version of Windows 8 for ARM is troubling."

;-)

Amazing!
    Ehi Jim, whenever and wherever you post something, remember.....Andrea-bot is "watching you"
    :-)
    MacMini@1.5Ghz 1GB/DualBoot Morphos3.1/DebianPPC - Efika MX sb
    PowerBook 5,9
  • »14.01.11 - 06:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Ehi Jim, whenever and wherever you post something,
    > remember.....Andrea-bot is "watching you" ;-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7183&forum=3&post_id=76517#76517 ;-)

Btw, are you Italian? Andrea is a female name here in Germany. Trust me, I'm as manly as a man can be ;-)
  • »14.01.11 - 09:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Here is a video showing a Genesi ARM computer using one of the amazing Pixel Qi screens that will be optional in future Genesi products:

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-year-ces-and-lots-more.html

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.01.11 - 13:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

scrAb_ wrote:
    Quote:

;-)

Amazing!
    Ehi Jim, whenever and wherever you post something, remember.....Andrea-bot is "watching you"

I thought that was wolfbot, and not only is he watching...

"Btw, are you Italian? Andrea is a female name here in Germany. Trust me, I'm as manly as a man can be ;-) "

but the dude's got some seriously frightening recall.

I remember that exchange - Hey Andreas in the US would be a man's name as well - I don't ever remember him forgetting to and the 's' at the end.

[ Edited by Jim on 2011/1/14 15:03 ]
  • »14.01.11 - 14:02
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

meaning no backwards compatibility at all, which sounds like no fun.

It does sound like fun :)

Do you think the original AmigaOS started with software ? Still they had fun creating it... and people created the first pieces of software also did :)
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »14.01.11 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    scrAb_
    ......."s"
    MacMini@1.5Ghz 1GB/DualBoot Morphos3.1/DebianPPC - Efika MX sb
    PowerBook 5,9
  • »15.01.11 - 08:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    NVidia moves to ARM in a near future... :)

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processor-to-usher-in-new-era-of-computing/
  • »16.01.11 - 23:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Microsoft's support can only broaden ARM support.

>> "The idea that Microsoft is readying a version of Windows 8 for ARM is troubling."
    >> http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=606510
    >> ;-)

> NVidia moves to ARM in a near future... :)
    > http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processor-to-usher-in-new-era-of-computing/

1. I fail to see the connection of your posting to the one you replied to with it.
    2. nVidia's "Denver" announcement is what this thread has mostly been about. Obviously you didn't read it before replying.
    3. As I've told here in this thread nVidia has already moved to ARM years ago.
  • »17.01.11 - 00:30
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes that reference brings no new information to the table. What we've been discussing is what Denver may feature that hasn't implented in the ARM ISA yet.
    Up until now I haven't seen anything in Nvidia's ARM offerings to recommend them over other manufacturers like TI.

I'm reasonably certain that our past speculation is on target, but unless Nvidia releases more information we have no proof.
  • »17.01.11 - 00:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    So I broke my new toy (the coby kyros) well the usb snapped, so looking at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7042921&CatId=6957
    since related to topic, how I'm not accused of a hijack ;-)
    I couldn't link through topic name directly, strange but it happen from time to time on owb. just got a red flash when tried to paste.
  • »17.01.11 - 01:09
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    So I broke my new toy (the coby kyros) well the usb snapped, so looking at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7042921&CatId=6957
    since related to topic, how I'm not accused of a hijack ;-)
    I couldn't link through topic name directly, strange but it happen from time to time on owb. just got a red flash when tried to paste.

Nice! And not too far off topic as it is Nvidia based (if only a Tegra 2). A little higher priced than I'd like though. For the same money I could buy an Efika MX Smartbook and get a full keyboard. The tablet would be more compact though.
  • »17.01.11 - 02:12
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Looking at AMD's first combined CPU/GPU products (which they call APUs) the AMD Embedded G-Series has left me considering how ARM and X86 design seems to be crossing paths at this point.

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/49282B_Embedded_Solutions_GSeries_Brief.pdf

Nvidia's Denver might be 64 bit and in some ways resembles what AMD is considering. After consideration, while I am unsure about whether or not Denver will be 64 bit or not, but I'd think its fair to say that it isn't likely to clock above what current A9 are being tested at. It probably won't be a complete SOC like most current ARMs (since much of that functionality would be wasted in servers).
    And they may focus on two things that aren't common in ARM design. First a better interconnect system like AMD licensed Hyper Transport interconnections. And second GP GPU computing. After all Nvidia has been pushing this and in a servers the GPU part of an APUs would be largely wasted.

As these two ISAs grow to resemble each other architecturally, its going to be interesting seeing how each fairs in competition with the other.
  • »20.01.11 - 21:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

_DaNi_ wrote:
    NVidia moves to ARM in a near future... :)

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processor-to-usher-in-new-era-of-computing/

Thanks for the link. Some important statements from nVidia there IMHO.

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2011/1/21 10:08 ]
  • »21.01.11 - 08:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I do not know much about the topic "ARM" ... but the fact that Microsoft is going to support it and that ARM is already wide spread, does that want to say that Intel is going to get some serious competition (and gets stabbed in the back by Microsoft ) ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »21.01.11 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Nvidia's Mike Rayfield:

"As well as licensing Cortex A15, we also have an architectural license with ARM to produce an extremely high performance ARM CPU, which be combined with Nvidia GPUs for super-computing," he said, adding that the Maxwell generation of GPUs will be the first end-product using Project Denver.

"This is a far greater resource investment for us than just licensing a design," he said.

The Maxwell generation is expected to launch sometime in 2013, offering a "massive" increase in processing power over the previous Kepler generation.

Two yeas away? My are they taling vaporware! - Jim
  • »21.01.11 - 17:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

It probably won't be a complete SOC like most current ARMs (since much of that functionality would be wasted in servers).

Oh I think there will be SoC's for sure! That's the future. Of course nothing is stopping them to make several *different versions* targeted at several different applications (like pad/netbook, desktop, server, "super computer" or whatever) with any needed controllers on chip, once they have completed their core development.
  • »21.01.11 - 18:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Oepabakkes wrote:
    I do not know much about the topic "ARM" ... but the fact that Microsoft is going to support it and that ARM is already wide spread, does that want to say that Intel is going to get some serious competition

Yes! :-)

nVidia: "Denver frees PCs, workstations and servers from the hegemony and inefficiency of the x86 architecture. For several years, makers of high-end computing platforms have had no choice about instruction-set architecture. The only option was the x86 instruction set with variable-length instructions, a small register set, and other features that interfered with modern compiler optimizations, required a larger area for instruction decoding, and substantially reduced energy efficiency.

Denver provides a choice. System builders can now choose a high-performance processor based on a RISC instruction set with modern features such as fixed-width instructions, predication, and a large general register file. These features enable advanced compiler techniques and simplify implementation, ultimately leading to higher performance and a more energy-efficient processor."

Quote:

(and gets stabbed in the back by Microsoft)?

"Microsoft’s announcement that it is bringing Windows to ultra-low power processors like ARM-based CPUs provides the final ingredient needed to enable ARM-based PCs based on Denver. Along with software stacks based on Android, Symbian, and iOS, Windows for ultra-low power processors demonstrates the huge momentum behind low-power solutions that will ultimately propel the ARM architecture to dominance."

I think Microsoft wants in on the ultra portable, low power segment that Apple iPad (and others) are in. I think they have lost patience with Intel not being able to support anything suitable.

And who knows what technology future X-Box systems will use under the hood? ;-)
  • »21.01.11 - 18:43