Proof of concept teaser seen on AmigaWorld.net before here??
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Just wondering why this

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32955&start=0&post_id=594615&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=28#594615

would show up on AW.net before it would be announced here.

Edit: nothing official from the MorphOS Team site, as usual, but it is encouraging to see support for another faster video card and a second G5 Mac model.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/12/29 11:41 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.12.10 - 19:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > would show up on AW.net before it would be announced here.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7638&forum=3&post_id=80556#80556
  • »29.12.10 - 19:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Missed that, as I didn't expect it in that thread. Thought something as significant as that news would be worth a thread of its own.
  • »29.12.10 - 19:51
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Missed that, as I didn't expect it in that thread. Thought something as significant as that news would be worth a thread of its own.

Damn Dave,
    You know how far we can go off topic. Frank threw that info at us earlier and it just made me grin ear to ear (I haven't been able to wipe it off my face all day).

Imagine attending the next show with that stuff. If the AOS crowd is still waiting for the X1000 (and I thnk they might get the Sam460 first) you might have something to demo that would gain even more attention.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.12.10 - 00:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I would love to have MorphOS running on my Dual 2.7GHz G5 at next year's AmiWest Show, but know better than to expect it, or even get my hopes too high that it will happen.

The amount of work that appears to be done for the G5 iMac is encouraging though.
  • »30.12.10 - 05:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    This looks like as good a place to ask this as any..

If you were to say, have a Dual 2.0 with a AGP Radeon Graphics card, and after a game of eBay chicken, ended up with Quad 2.5 with a PCI Express NVIDIA based graphics card.

So it possible in the future that would be supported in MorphOS in the future, assuming I can get my hands on a suitable Mac PCIe Radeon card? And before anyone asks, obviously I didn't buy nothing with only the idea of running MorphOS in the future.
  • »30.12.10 - 09:14
  • JJ
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    I would imagine also that it being posted as news on that other site :( and amiga.org :) would reach more people than this site and also keep MorphOS in Amiga users minds.

Especially given the power of these macs and the cost versus the still not released expected to be mega expensive X1000
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »30.12.10 - 10:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    I would love to have MorphOS running on my Dual 2.7GHz G5 at next year's AmiWest Show, but know better than to expect it, or even get my hopes too high that it will happen.

Precisely. One may dream about future options and actually should work on them, but one can only rely on things that actually are here now alreday. Thing is not to project everything into an uncertain, golden future, but to use the here and now while not forgetting the tomorrow.
    That's true for most things in life.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »30.12.10 - 10:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

stephen_robinson wrote:
    This looks like as good a place to ask this as any..

If you were to say, have a Dual 2.0 with a AGP Radeon Graphics card, and after a game of eBay chicken, ended up with Quad 2.5 with a PCI Express NVIDIA based graphics card.

So it possible in the future that would be supported in MorphOS in the future, assuming I can get my hands on a suitable Mac PCIe Radeon card? And before anyone asks, obviously I didn't buy nothing with only the idea of running MorphOS in the future.

When I searched for info about the Radeon x600 that is shown working in the G5 iMac, in those teaser screen shots, the only info I could find on it was for PCI-e versions, so I would think that there might be a good possibility that "some day" there may be support for the quad core G5 PowerMac, but it would be a huge waste of energy using only one core of the 4 available cores of that model.
  • »30.12.10 - 17:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

When I searched for info about the Radeon x600 that is shown working in the G5 iMac, in those teaser screen shots, the only info I could find on it was for PCI-e versions, so I would think that there might be a good possibility that "some day" there may be support for the quad core G5 PowerMac, but it would be a huge waste of energy using only one core of the 4 available cores of that model.

Yeah, Dave that's the conclusion I reached too. Frank likes the leave these little "figure it out yourself" hints. I know of AGP X700, ans X800 cards, but they're wouldn't be much point to an AGP X600 as it would be very similar to a 9600 (with a nod to Andreas for pointing out that the X600 has more memory bandwidth)..
    They've already mention Powermac G5s. One of those pictures looks like G5 iMac. And now a hint that PCI-e G5s may eventually receive support. I haven't re-examined those shots yet, but I wonder if we're missing anything?

Imagine the atttention you would have gotten this year if you could have displayed something that would hold up to the X1000 in benchmarking tests.
  • »30.12.10 - 19:31
    boot_wb
    Hmmm, where can I get myself one of those lovely MorphOS official installation CDs/cases (CD can be seen sticking out of the monitor on this image).

Not to go all fanboy-ish, but it would be nice to have :-)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »31.12.10 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    RSchmidt
    The problem with the pci-e powermacs is that it seems to be *REALLY* hard to get ATI gfxcards for them as they came with NVidia as default. Their power requirement also seems to be higher than the AGP models.

AGP(Early 2005 modells)

120-140 Watt idle, 450-600 Watt Max.

PCI-E(Late 2005 modells)

165 Watt idle, 450-550 Watt Max.

I haven't seen any kind of PCI-E ATI PC->MAC Edition firmware sites out there. So there's far too much pain involved even getting such system running for potential users.
  • »31.12.10 - 13:41
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    @RSchmidt

So in the end it will be much better to switch to open source video drivers like gallium and nouveau
    to get more graphics cards supported.
    regards
    eliot
  • »31.12.10 - 14:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > where can I get myself one of those lovely MorphOS official installation CDs/cases

You may want to have a look there and maybe even ask in that thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6611&forum=9
  • »31.12.10 - 14:26
    stephen_robinson
    Having had a quick look, Mac specific PCIe Radeon 1900 seem, reasonably common. Well, check eBay for 'x1900 g5', the one for the Intel based Mac Pro isn't the same.

And can use a PC card flashed without having to move resisters around/covering connections etc http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9919118

But after much humming and a harring, I just bought a flashed PC one for £50+£20 P+P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250730169058 as it didn't seem much more expensive than a PC One, and I may, have got the flashing wrong.

Even ignoring the possibility of MorphOS it's apparently an improvement on the standard NVIDIA GeForce 6600 on MacOS, like I'd be able to tell the difference playing Hexen II...
  • »31.12.10 - 14:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Be aware that we have no plans to add Radeon R5xx GPU X1xxx support in MorphOS for now. The number of supported machines that would benefit from it is pretty limited - or rather close to 0 - currently and there is still enough work left to be done to improve the current set of drivers.
    In fact, i wasn't even aware that there were mac ppc specfic Radeon X1900 cards available.

It's not even clear if PCIe PowerMac G5 support is going to materialize anytime soon ....
    But as long as you don't need the machine to run MorphOS, do whatever floats your boat with it :)
  • »31.12.10 - 15:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Hey Frank,
    I know you guys are probably into the New Year over there, but its still mid-morning of New Years Eve on the east coast of the US (where I'm located).
    I've been sitting here the last two days soberly considering what you've already provided me.
    I've got a G4 Powermac running at 400Mhz higher than the fastest Pegassos CPU card.
    The Radeon 9200 I've got has nice 3d drivers that function better then I remeber this type of card working on a PC.
    I've got a Soundblaster ive working in a Mac that doesn't have drivers for that card under OSX.
    The Symbios895 controller I have in this machine, which won't work under OSX (although it works under Ubuntu) may one day work under MorphOS.
    And you guys are soldering along porting to new hardware and even feel compelled to make a qualifying statement like this one.

Let me state something REALLY clear dude. Thank you for all the great hardware you've given us so far.
    I'm still trying to figure out if I can re-flash my FireGL X1 to a Radeon 9700 (and wonder if its worth it until 3d drivers are ready - since the 9200 does remarkably well already).
    I don't care about card above R400s right now. What software could take advantage of it. And the 1900 isn't that greAt a performer. Let me tell you, the real jump was when I went to a 3850 (dusted all previous cards and reminded me of ATI original 9500-9800 in the leap in power).

You guy don't know how grateful we are for what you've already done and if you get a few more of the projects you've leaked out finish we're all going to be thrilled.

I'm not just happy with what you guys have acomplished, like I said in a previous post, your latest teaser left me grinning ear to ear all day.

You guys have done great. Not just great, you've surpased what I thought you'd be capable of in this short a time.
    You say on this tragectory and MorphOS stands to be the most powerful NG Amigiod OS bar none, even W/o X86 processors.
    guys seriously amaze me.

Again, thanks, it was a VERY good year (at least for MorphOS) and trust me there wasn't much else good happening this year (at least in the US) otherwise.
    2011 can only bring some real gifts for all of us that have placed our faith in you fellows.
    As Andreas taught me,Guten Rutsch.
    And as I figured out on my own,achtgeben.

Jim
  • »31.12.10 - 16:40
    stephen_robinson
    I wonder if it would be a good idea to keep my Dual 2 Mhz Powermac with Radeon graphics card for POTENTIAL MorphOS use in the future? Or would it be better to flog it for not that much these day, and buy another one when if/when MorphOS comes out (for about £25 the way PPC mac prices are dropping..!)
  • »31.12.10 - 18:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @elliot

I prefer to have very good support for a few cards than poor support for many cards.
  • »31.12.10 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    What I want is something that is appropriate match for the processor. Whrn the R400 was first discussed I investigated whether or not a PC X800 XT o X850 Xt could be reflahed for a MC G4 or a G5. Apparently the only way to get a card that will work in both is to do just that (reflash a PC card).
    So if I want to install it in my G4, then upgrade to a G5, an R400 is just fine (no point in having a more powerful card if its performance is CPU bound) i
  • »01.01.11 - 14:35
    eliot
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    @eliot

I prefer to have very good support for a few cards than poor support for many cards.

Do you really think that you will provide better (faster, stability) and more complete (openGl features) drivers than the other two projects will provide in near future?
    regards
    eliot
  • »01.01.11 - 18:39
    eliot
    Quote:

Oepabakkes wrote:
    two ?

Sorry, one.
    regards
    eliot
  • »01.01.11 - 19:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I'm not sure if Gallium drivers for cards currently supported by MorphOS have better performance than MorphOS native ones.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2011/1/1 19:32 ]
  • »01.01.11 - 19:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

I'm not sure if Gallium drivers for cards currently supported by MorphOS have better performance than MorphOS native ones.

Would be interesting to find out...
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »01.01.11 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website