IDCMP_NEWSIZE after MoveWindow() - bug or feature?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thomas
    Since version 2.6 MorphOS sends an IDCMP_NEWSIZE message to an application after it called MoveWindow(). No other AmigaOS derivate/clone does this. Is it intended behaviour or a bug?

For PicShow this means the window cannot be moved any more because when it receives IDCMP_NEWSIZE it interrupts the movement and scales the picture to the new window size (which actually hasn't changed).

IMHO IDCMP_NEWSIZE should not be sent to a window if the size was not changed.
  • »05.12.10 - 15:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    kiero
    I'm not sure now as i don't work on intuition but this might be a sideeffect of a bugfix done to window resize code. Unfortunately we don't plan another quickfix release so a workaround would be best solution (just check if window size changed)

[ Edited by kiero on 2010/12/5 18:32 ]
  • »05.12.10 - 18:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thomas
    Thank you. I've added the workaround already. Hope this will be fixed anyway.
  • »05.12.10 - 19:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    This on the other hand fixes resizing with old legacy apps, like MorphED/GoldED and I'm pretty sure I got the same messages with AmigaOS3.1.

Since you're developping a new app, either account for this or use MUI like recommended for MorphOS.
  • »05.12.10 - 21:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thomas
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I got the same messages with AmigaOS3.1.

No, you definitely do not get a NEWSIZE message if you only move the window. You only get NEWSIZE if you change the window size.

Surely you get IDCMP_CHANGEWINDOW when you programmatically change the window size/position (i.e. MoveWindow(), SizeWindow() or ChangeWindowBox()). And I would accept IDCMP_NEWSIZE from SizeWindow() and ChangeWindowBox(), even if the window's size did not change. But not from MoveWindow().
  • »06.12.10 - 15:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well, I'll have a look when I'll have the time.

A thing that comes to mind though: why would moving the window 'stop' when you receive an IDCMP? Surely you're not implementing dragging on your own (I really hope so).
  • »06.12.10 - 16:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    cheesegrate
    thomas what comic is your avatar from? i remember that character from a long time ago. thanks
  • »06.12.10 - 23:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > what comic is your avatar from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mort_%26_Phil
  • »06.12.10 - 23:46
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thomas
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    A thing that comes to mind though: why would moving the window 'stop' when you receive an IDCMP? Surely you're not implementing dragging on your own (I really hope so).

I did this long ago and I won't change it now, especially as it worked in earlier versions of MorphOS and the very same code also works in AmigaOS 3, AmigaOS 4 and AROS.

Quote:

That's great. While you are at it please also check why MoveWindow() does not allow the window to move out of the screen. The same happens for WindowAction() btw.

[ Edited by Thomas on 2010/12/11 12:44 ]
  • »11.12.10 - 11:43
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Lizard
    Quote:

Thomas wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

I did this long ago and I won't change it now, especially as it worked in earlier versions of MorphOS and the very same code also works in AmigaOS 3, AmigaOS 4 and AROS.

Quote:

That's great. While you are at it please also check why MoveWindow() does not allow the window to move out of the screen. The same happens for WindowAction() btw.

[ Edited by Thomas on 2010/12/11 12:44 ]

Not being able to drag windows out of the screen is a system setting. Check Prefs -> iControl -> Screens and Desktop.
    About halfway is an entry 'When dragging windows...'
  • »11.12.10 - 12:38
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thomas
    Other windows can be moved out of the screen. Only MoveWindow and the like limit the window to the screen.
  • »11.12.10 - 13:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

Thomas wrote:

I remember this one was made on purpose to prevent windows from being moved out of the screen with no way for the *user* to move them back.
    It makes sense to me and I doubt jaca wants to change that :)
  • »11.12.10 - 14:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Indeed, clipping coordinates to screen is intentional and isn't going to change. If you want offscreen dragging, the solution is to add a gadget to cover your window area (with type set to GTYP_WDRAGGING).
  • »12.12.10 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    IDCMP_NEWSIZE on MoveWindow is fixed for 2.8. The limitation to screen boundaries isn't going to change though.
  • »17.12.10 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website