Mdd in another case.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Did already someone try to hack that MDD in an ATX case ? I have an MDD with a broken PSU on the way, so I will convert a regular ATX-psu anyway. At first glance, it seems to be not so different from a PC-motherboard.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »17.11.10 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    at first glance maybe, but the form factor is very different. I only heard of one guy doing that and he spent hours with his dremel to try to fit the motherboard in the atx case, and the result was an absolutely ugly frankenmac.
    Adapting an ATX power supply is way more easy, there is tons of links and even videos about it on the web.
  • »17.11.10 - 12:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    at first glance maybe, but the form factor is very different. I only heard of one guy doing that and he spent hours with his dremel to try to fit the motherboard in the atx case, and the result was an absolutely ugly frankenmac.
    Adapting an ATX power supply is way more easy, there is tons of links and even videos about it on the web.

That is good to know since replacement Apple PSU's can be way too expensive.

On the topic of putting an MDD into a different case, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that, unless they are just Apple/Mac haters and don't want anyone to know they are using any Apple hardware at all, so they are trying to hide it in another case. One of the best things about the G4 PowerMacs is the unique case design that is so easy to open and access the drives, RAM and PCI cards in seconds. I don't disagree with anyone having the desire to customize the looks of their PowerMac to identify it as a MorphOS computer now, but moving it to another case is a bit extreme in my opinion.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.11.10 - 16:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    [
    On the topic of putting an MDD into a different case, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that, unless they are just Apple/Mac haters .

I was thinking of how to house a PM alternatively, too. Not because I dislike Apple too much but to achieve a higher living room compability factor. Luckily the Mac mini, my Efikaframe and my Peg (Coolermaster ATC 620 case) are living room and WAF compatible.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.11.10 - 18:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    @Oepabakkes:
    you can start here:
    http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml
    @Amigadave:
    I guess I will mod my Quicksilver for an important reason: having upgraded this Mac with a Sonnet Encore 1.8 I had some problems, due to PPC 7455 overheating (and maybe higher power consumption too. I'm testing..). When the side panel is closed the Sonnet fit closely behind the Superdrive and the PSU, increasing heat problems and making the Mac hanging with a lot of default catch errors. This errors disappear when the Sonnet is cold (and wow! This little beast makes everything faster!!).
    But you are right: the side panel of Powermac is a real commodity and so I found a case that do the same. More, the side panels can be both opened for much more comfortable access.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »17.11.10 - 19:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > with a Sonnet Encore 1.8 I had some problems,
    > due to PPC 7455 overheating

A 7455 running at 1.8 GHz? No wonder it's overheating. In fact, it's surprising it works at all. The highest clocked 7455(B) card I've come across to date was 1.53 GHz.
  • »17.11.10 - 19:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Another reason, could be people who live in countries in which powermacs are not common (in spain for example, they are not very common). A powermac here, is around 150-200 eur (a dual 1.25). That same computer in germany or USA, could be around 70 eur. Shipping would be VERY expensive, as pmacs are very heavy. But shipping only the board and processor card, and assembling it locally in a ATX case, would be possible (and perhaps you could get a better price if you leave the tower aside).

[ Edited by amiades on 2010/11/17 21:40 ]
  • »17.11.10 - 20:39
    Simon
    Cheapest way to get an MDD is getting one with a broken PSU and swap it for an atx one. Buying another (overpriced) second hand PSU, is like playing Russian roulette. Apparently the original PSU were that good.

Also on Ebay Germany I see MDDs going for 150+

I just want another case... and yes the trapdoor is nice, but how much should you have to open your case if all is installed and working ok ?

[ Edited by Oepabakkes on 2010/11/17 23:44 ]
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »17.11.10 - 22:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    baisaz
    If you look at the rear of the MDD and the rear of an ATX case you'll see that things wont come close to lining up. You would have to make a new back for your ATX case.

For the ATX psu mod I suggest getting a power supply with a big 120mm fan inside of it like one of these (then again both these brands are total turds): chiefmax600.jpg17-163-017-05.JPG
    They tend to only take up half of the case and have pretty dinky heatsinks to make room for the large fan. They fit perfectly inside of the MDD psu case. Make sure to get a 24 pin psu that has a P4 connector as well.

Then you must wire up the connector from the original MDD supply onto your franken-psu. I suggest using a P4 and 24 pin extension cable to make a sort of adapter. That way it will be sure to reach and you can reuse the adapter if you need to.

that frankenmac guide has the correct wiring. You don't need to connect anything to the +28v pin. It isn't needed unless you are using the ADC connector with an apple monitor. I'm not sure why he says it is required.
  • »17.11.10 - 23:54
    Jambalah
    @Andreas:
    it seems I bought a heater.... The winter is cold and it could be useful :-)
    Seriously, I didn't know diferences between 7455 and 7447. So...
    @Baisaz:
    I guess he's referring to the Quicksilver only. As far as I know, Quicksilver has two +28 pins; one for the video card for apple display and the other for the logic board. MDD doesn't need of the +28, -10 and PWR-OK wires, as referred here:
    http://efeion.blogspot.com/2007/12/power-supply-fun-part-2.html
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »18.11.10 - 14:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I didn't know diferences between 7455 and 7447. So...

So your 1.8 GHz CPU is a 7447(A), not a 7455? That would make sense :-)
  • »18.11.10 - 20:18
    Jambalah
    Mac OS firmware reported a PPC 7455 0x8001 rev 0x0 (before MorphOS cd boot).
    I don't know if this is right.. Info on OS X only report G4 (0.0).
    Does a cpu check program for OS X exist?
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »18.11.10 - 20:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Mac OS firmware reported a PPC 7455 0x8001 rev 0x0
    > (before MorphOS cd boot). I don't know if this is right..

I guess that the firmware doesn't know that specific CPU, so its report is probably not to be trusted.

> Does a cpu check program for OS X exist?

I don't know about OS X, but you can check with MorphOS.
  • »18.11.10 - 21:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Oepabakkes wrote:
    Cheapest way to get an MDD is getting one with a broken PSU and swap it for an atx one. Buying another (overpriced) second hand PSU, is like playing Russian roulette. Apparently the original PSU were that good.

Also on Ebay Germany I see MDDs going for 150+

I just want another case... and yes the trapdoor is nice, but how much should you have to open your case if all is installed and working ok ?

[ Edited by Oepabakkes on 2010/11/17 23:44 ]

After thinking about it more (and looking at my G4 PowerMac case), I agree that it is ugly and the fact that it opens so easily is not that important after it is set up the way you want it. Having a nice new case to put the PowerMac mobo into would be a nice option, but I can't see myself doing it, unless 1. it is an easy fit without too much hacking and cutting of the new case to make the mobo fit inside properly, 2. the new case is not too expensive, 3. the new case has as much room for drives as my existing PowerMac case, or more room so I could have both a floppy drive connected to my Catweasel Mk4 card and my current ZIP 750mb optical drive installed at the same time, plus room for 2 or 3 hard drives (this would be a good reason for me to switch), and 4. the new case could provide cooling that is as good, or better than my PowerMac case at a lower noise level (another big reason to attempt the switch to a new case).
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.11.10 - 21:23
    Jambalah
    MorphOS Monitor
    Even MorphOS found a 7455..
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »18.11.10 - 21:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Even MorphOS found a 7455..

Uh, that's mind-boggling. Could it really be a 7455 running at 1.8 GHz?
  • »18.11.10 - 22:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    @Andreas_Wolf

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=7419&post_id=77419&viewmode=thread&order=0#77419

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=7419&post_id=77421&viewmode=thread&order=0#77421

[ Edited by Ruud on 2010/11/18 23:12 ]
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »18.11.10 - 23:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    @Ruud:

Thanks for the pointer. So we can assume it's really a 7447A/B/C I guess.
  • »18.11.10 - 23:48